Sensation vs. Destiny

NitaO

I have sailed only once , it was on the Destiny(girl trip). Now taking family, DS(10) DD(14) I was looking at the Sensation. BUt its smaller and older. Family has never been on a cruise before. Do you think that this is a good choice?

My first cruise was on the Sensation (before it's recent re-frub). It was a nice ship. I haven't been on the Destiny.

The port is closer to us,but I am worried about it being older and smaller.

If your family has never been on a cruise ship they will not know the difference. It will seem like a big ship to them. Until you are in port beside another class of ship, it seems like a big ship. We sailed another line on a ship that was bigger before we sailed the Fantasy (Sister of Sensation). It only seemed smaller because there weren't as many decks. We are sailing the Sensation in 34 days - YIPPEEE! Your kids will enjoy the kid club areas and the new slide area. There isn't a basketball goal but there is mini golf on top deck. If the ship is closer you will be able to save money to spend on other stuff like excursions or save for the next cruise.

I have sailed only once , it was on the Destiny(girl trip). Now taking family, DS(10) DD(14) I was looking at the Sensation. BUt its smaller and older. Family has never been on a cruise before. Do you think that this is a good choice?

Hey NitaO,

Pretty sure I was with you on the Destiny back in October 08? Loved it! I have not been on the Sensation but I have been on the Ecstacy, Imagination, Inspiration and Fascination.....all Fantasy class ships and I love them. The Destiny was "bigger" but bigger also means more people at the pool....more people in line at the buffet etc. I really liked the Fantasy Class ships...their only downfall to me is a lack of affordable balcony cabins. I would go for it! I think your kids will love it...it's a great size ship for their "first" cruise! Going back on the Destiny in 23 days.....won't be the same without Martin at the piano bar though!!!

Hope you have a great time on the Sensation!

Hey NitaO,

Pretty sure I was with you on the Destiny back in October 08? Loved it! I have not been on the Sensation but I have been on the Ecstacy, Imagination, Inspiration and Fascination.....all Fantasy class ships and I love them. The Destiny was "bigger" but bigger also means more people at the pool....more people in line at the buffet etc. I really liked the Fantasy Class ships...their only downfall to me is a lack of affordable balcony cabins. I would go for it! I think your kids will love it...it's a great size ship for their "first" cruise! Going back on the Destiny in 23 days.....won't be the same without Martin at the piano bar though!!!

Hope you have a great time on the Sensation!

I thought I knew your username, Sorry I just don't remember which name with faces, tell me more about yourself so I can remember who you are. lol

this is my 20th Aniversary cruise too. But the kids have never been, so we are taking them with and they have the Christmas break and a FEb.15th break and I am trying to decide which. DH wants only to take a 3-4 day to see if he likes it.

My 2nd cruise was on Sensation October 07. It is a fine ship, and I sailed before the renovation. After sailing Legend, Sensation was smaller and the layout more confusing, but I had a great time. After seeing pictures of the new Water Works (or whatever it's called), I'd definitely sail her with kids.

I'm booked on Destiny in November, so I can't compare the two.

I don't think there's anything wrong with older, smaller ships. Still BIG fun.

I thought I knew your username, Sorry I just don't remember which name with faces, tell me more about yourself so I can remember who you are. lol

this is my 20th Aniversary cruise too. But the kids have never been, so we are taking them with and they have the Christmas break and a FEb.15th break and I am trying to decide which. DH wants only to take a 3-4 day to see if he likes it.

I came to the "get together" at the aft pool bar late....I think Socref introduced us (I was traveling with DH and another couple) but like you...i met so many people I can't remember names with faces....just remember the usernames from our FANTASTIC roll call! The roll call for my next cruise is all but dead! There are only three or four of us who are posting! We had so much to talk about on "our" Destiny/October roll call....I really miss that! It's my obsession until I cruise!

IMHO I would book the February trip. In my limited experience...cruises over the holidays are super expensive. I would definitely price compare the same cruise in Dec. as Feb. Plus...that way you get two breaks...Christmas break and another one in Feb.!!

I'm so glad to hear you are taking your kids on your 20th Anniversary cruise! People say to us "why are you taking the kids???" and I tell them other than "debt" they're really all we've got!!! hahahaha

The kids have cruised once before a couple of years ago but they are 16 and 13 and growing up fast..I'm afraid if I don't take them now they'll get too old and won't want to go on vacation with "mommy and daddy" anymore! But when that happens.......it's a 9 day to Alaska for me and DH!!

Keep us posted on what you decide to do, I'd really like to know how it works out!

Our first cruise was on the Sensation. Going in blind, it was an excellent time for our group of early 20s to late 30s. Not hard party people, but we had a great time mingling and especially eating. We did the short cruise and loved Nassau...Freeport, not so much. I'd definitely recommend Sensation as a '1st time'...if you like cruising, look into some of the newer ships.

thanks everyone for your help. I want to WOW him with a nice ship, but with him only wanting to go on a 3-4 day, its going to be hard. Most of the ships are older.

Can anyone tell me if the seas are smoother out of any of the Florida ports. I live in GA. I am worried about DH getting sick.

I just returned from a short 3 day getaway on the Sensation. I had been on Sensation a couple years back........but the renovations are AWESOME! I was really impressed. There is a new Waterworks park on the back of the ship that the kids will love along with a Serenity deck for adults only. The main pool area looks great! Our room was very nice......no more pepto-pink decor and the bathroom had been updated as well. Also no more plastic lounge chairs around the pool, they are navy blue on gray aluminum. The elevators are still purple metal, but oh well!

I think this would be a great short cruise especially for a first-timer. They have even added some balcony rooms.

Don't forget the Destiny would have an extra 1,000 people on it!

Terri

Archived