Live from mercury 180 degree course change

dbasta

Checking back. Sheesh, tough crowd here. Are you sure this isn't the MMA forum? As you've so warmly pointed out, I'm not a regular member of this forum, I was just adding some post cruise customer relations info to this existing thread for those who might be interested.

What did I expect? Not sure. Some sort of compensation, credit, or incentive I guess, even a small port tax as someone mentioned above would be more on par with the level of customer service I expect from a cruise line that supposedly prides itself on that.

The health of the girl is infinitely more important than any of this refund stuff. We're still dissapointed.

Interestingly enough, we had breakfast with a family that got off the plane prior to the cruise, in Vancouver, and they said that little girl had to be rushed off the plane because she was sick. As you probably know we were made to fill out a medical questionaire form before boarding and if you had any sickness in the last week the ship's doctor was supposed to check you out to see it you were fit for sailing. Not sure if the family disclosed the girl's sickness or not. I do hope the little girl makes a full recovery. Gotta find a way to get back to Sitka someday.

Thanks for your warm welcome fellow cruisers.

We are not a tough crowd but when you post something as you did, you better expect the responses. Despite all your comments, it comes out as if you could care less about the sick child. Quite frankly, you don't deserve compensation, that is standard in the cruise industry.

Don,

Despite my comments? What are you a psychic? Tapping into my subtext? I said that I'd want them to do the same thing if it was my kid. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. Plus I mentioned that Celebrity didn't even return our first email and only responded back through a second attemt to contact them through our travel agent. I was dissapointed and still am. Genuine concern for the little girl dosen't minimize that. The thread was about the turn around and missing the port, not about the good things on the cruise, which there were many. I'll find another thread to add to that, I was only staying on topic. Thank you all for the head up on cruise procedure not to refund and such. I didn't know that and in the future I'll be better emotionally prepared to deal with these possibilities. Seriously though, no wonder you see so many "one post wonders" with how harsh some of you guys are. Just because you're on an anonymous forum dosen't mean you shouldn't have manners.

Although we did not end up going to Alaska this year, DH and I seriously considered booking with Celebrity because I felt (based on a previous trip on HAL) that its not worth going if you can't make it to Sitka (the best wildlife viewing I have ever seen on any shore ex on any of the 5 continents I have visited).

I don't know MattyB's particulars and I am aware that cruiselines can get away with a lot of #)*&% according to their non-negotiable contract boilerplate, but speaking for many silent readers of this thread (WHO ALL WOULD WANT KIDS TO GET MEDICAL TREATMENT), I think we can all relate to the frustration of not having promises delivered/expectations fulfilled and the frustration of hearing the response "gee, that's too bad but not our problem."

Ultimately, I'm afraid if you cruise long enough with mass market lines, you realize they are all going to take the same basic line with you about these sorts of events. I was never going to sail Princess again after our poor experience with a purser's desk... until I had an equally bad experience on Celebrity, etc. etc.

Look at it this way. Now you have an excuse to take another cruise to Alaska. Life is too short, enjoy each day and roll with the flow. I realize that with the economy money can be tight but, the fact that I am on the ship is enough for me. No sense getting uptight and ruining the whole trip.

Archived