Port or Starboard sailing into NY on QM2?

oldmovieguy

I have been told by my agent that the best view of NY when sailing in on the QM2 is from the Starboard (left hand side when looking at the pointy bit from the blunt bit) and that cabin 8004 will afford better views than some others.

I know from past experience that you lovely people on here will be able to guide me.

I have been told by my agent that the best view of NY when sailing in on the QM2 is from the Starboard (left hand side when looking at the pointy bit from the blunt bit) and that cabin 8004 will afford better views than some others.

I know from past experience that you lovely people on here will be able to guide me.

8004 is on the Port (left hand, facing forward) side of the ship. Its not obstructed by lifeboats infront of it - but it does have the forward superstructure ahead of it, so you'll see fine to the side, not so much forward.

You will be on the side of the Statue of Liberty -and will get a view of Lower Manhattan when the ship swings round to dock.

Its quite a long way forward - so you will feel the motion more than in a cabin mid-ships - likely not a problem, but if you are very sensitive to this, something to think about.

If you are on a crossing this is also the 'sunny side of the ship' on the way across.

Have fun!

You'll get the best view from on deck, not on your balcony. But QM2 berths in Brooklyn, so the port side is probably better - especially if the Statue of Liberty is important to you.

The Narrows Bridge is best seen from deck 13.

Were you sailing on Victoria you'd be far better off on the starboard - given that you'd have Manhatten off the starboard bow. That's because she docks in the proper New York port on the West Side.

Thanks for the advice especially about the superstructure. Cannot believe I got my port and starboard mixed up, in my younger years it was drummed into us by way of, 'Is there any RED , PORT wine LEFT in the cellar'.

Sailing in to New York happens early in the morning and takes but a short while compared to the length of the voyage; I'd rather book a cabin I want and for the sail in go to an upper deck where one can get views all around.

Thanks again for the good advice, we will be spending three nights at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square and then flying to Las Vegas as part of a 'Cruise and stay package'.

Hi we have got 2 nights at the Marriott Marquis at the end of September as part of a package. When are you going?

Marriott Marquis is a great place to stay in NYC--right in the middle of Times Square, within walking distance to all the Broadway shows and a lot of sights.

Thanks to the OP for asking this question--I will be on the port side on my crossing next year; I was looking forward to seeing the Statue of Liberty on the way into New York (if I remember to get up early enough) but forgot to consider which side of the ship I needed to be on. It all worked out fine.

You will not see NYC whether on the starboard or the port side of the ship. You will only see the tip of Manhattan which includes the financial district etc. If you want to see Manhattan then take the circle line cruise.

Uh, excuse me... you will see a lot of Brooklyn and Staten Island.. all part of New York City! :mad:

I apologize. I forgot that Brooklyn and Staten Island were part of NYC. Just remind me of the architectural treasures that one sees when passing by.

How many people are up 6 am in the morning looking for architectural treasures? ;)

If you ever go to Brooklyn or Staten Island you would forget too!

Yeah, well Staten Island... at least it keeps one end of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge up. :D

Brooklyn is cool, you should visit some time. And you don't need a passport (New York joke).

Originally Posted by Boytjie viewpost.gif

How many people are up 6 am in the morning looking for architectural treasures? ;)

If sailing up the Hudson, a lot. If docking in Brooklyn, none.

Since QM2 doesn't go up the Hudson anymore I guess folks can sleep in - or check out Brooklyn and Governors Island.

Me too. Having docked at Manhatten, Brooklyn is a sorry disappointment.

I suspect you both are in a minority......arrivals into both Brooklyn & the west side piers have been very popular in my experience......

Archived