Linking your debit card to Sail and Sign account?

bassmk

I've always used a credit card to link with my S&S card, but this year we're doing cash (or "virtual" cash...debit card) all the way. My question is about the holds and such. I know when we used our debit card at a hotel in Vegas, they put a hold on it for the entire amount plus some extra. Had we had any bills in the mail, the checks would have bounced. Is that how they work for S&S? I'd like to know up front so we can make sure nothing is outstanding when we go on the cruise.

I know you can do a cash deposit, but I really have no idea how much I plan to spend...I have an outside number I'd like to not go over, but the idea of a cash deposit seems awkward and a lot of trouble to me.

Yep... works pretty much the same way. There's an initial hold placed on your debit card as indicated in the FAQs.

Thereafter, additional holds are placed on your card to equal the amount you're spending.

At the end of the cruise your card will be billed the total amount so you may, temporarily, have double the actual amount on your debit card... generally not a good thing.

Use cash and if you get close have them add your debit card to your account...

:)

Cash here this time also, however, we shall go in the beginning and put $500 down, if you need more they will let your know. We got a drink one time and with the drink was a slip that said go and see the pursers desk. No problem we did and put down more. Piece of cake.:D

Cash here this time also, however, we shall go in the beginning and put $500 down, if you need more they will let your know. We got a drink one time and with the drink was a slip that said go and see the pursers desk. No problem we did and put down more. Piece of cake.:D

And it's knida fun to get that check back at the end of the cruise!!

:)

I have on a few occasions at the end of the cruise, just paid off my Carnival tab with cash and the hold on my ATM was immediately released. I'm quite aware some can't do that, but my tab is usually quite small (at least by comparison to some of the "whoppers" I've seen ! ! :eek:)

You can always use your credit card and pay it off as soon as the bill comes; then you don't have to worry about holds, and you an get the FF miles or carnival miles or whatever your rewards are.

Another way to do it to avoid the holds on your debit card is.....use a credit card to set it up and on the last night pay it off with your debit card.........

I was just wondering about this, using a credit card to set up account but want to pay at the end with a debit card and was wondering if there would be any extra hold or not, just the final bill?

If using a debit card onboard, a good rule of thumb is to have DOUBLE the funds available of what you actually spend. So if you spend $1000 onboard, make sure you have $2000 in your account that you won't need for ANYTHING else for a week after your cruise returns. The $1000 you spent may post quickly but the holds can take up to a week to fall off your account causing other important items (like your bill payments!) to bounce because funds are there, but not "available" due to the hold.

I always recommend avoiding using a debit card in port in a foreign country due to fraud possibilities. While you may eventually get your money back if your card # is swiped overseas, it can take up to 30 days (or it could be instant depending on a lot of factors) vs. a credit card where the charge is disputed and you just don't pay the bill in the meantime.

I work in a bank so I see this stuff happen from time to time.

Can you put the cash down at check in or must you line up at the pursers desk and do it there?

This may sound stupid but this is what I did for my Carnival trip since I didn't have a credit card available and didn't want anything in my checking account to bounce. I opened up a separate account with what I planned to spend (i.e., $500) and got a debit card for it. I used that for my S&S account and watched that I spent under that amount. Then it didn't matter if they had a hold on it (which they did). When I got home I called Carnival and had the hold released and my account is fine and it didn't affect my regular checking account.

I've always used a credit card to link with my S&S card, but this year we're doing cash (or "virtual" cash...debit card) all the way. My question is about the holds and such. I know when we used our debit card at a hotel in Vegas, they put a hold on it for the entire amount plus some extra. Had we had any bills in the mail, the checks would have bounced. Is that how they work for S&S? I'd like to know up front so we can make sure nothing is outstanding when we go on the cruise.

I know you can do a cash deposit, but I really have no idea how much I plan to spend...I have an outside number I'd like to not go over, but the idea of a cash deposit seems awkward and a lot of trouble to me.

That hold can be a killer with a debit card as far as your checking account goes. Use cash instead.....you can always draw more cash from the ATM machine onboard (for a fee, of course) to add more if you need it.

We were on the Victory in October and I was very concerned about this because of a recent drop in income. We actually used a combination of credit and debit. Every thing I had ready on here talked about how much they would hold from the outset. Actually there were no holds, they just charged what we used. They did charge the very first day for the tips. I would still be prepared to have a little extra, but there was no hold that stayed on either acct. for days like what happens alot with hotels. Maybe it varies from ship to ship? We will be on the Sensation next month so we will see what happens

Good luck

I like paying in advance. That way I can start paying on next cruise immediately.

Hi Cathyoo. How do you pay in advance? I wanted to do that also but was advised by my TA to just put it on the debit card. I don't want there to be a huge hold and not be able to pay my bills (especially since my cruise lands on the first week of the month which is when I pay my bills). Yikes!:eek:

Hi Cathyoo. How do you pay in advance? I wanted to do that also but was advised by my TA to just put it on the debit card. I don't want there to be a huge hold and not be able to pay my bills (especially since my cruise lands on the first week of the month which is when I pay my bills). Yikes!:eek:

Once my cruise is paid for.. and we usually pay a couple of months ahead of time (with our tax refund or work bonus) we start putting something towards our sail and sign acct. Either by purchasing Funship dollars or calling and having them put some money on the acct. We prepay our tips and any Carnival excursions and try and put $150 per day for bingo, drinks, photos. It works for us.. others may think it is a dumb idea to let Carnival hold our money but like I said it works for us.

Lots of horror stories on here about debit card holds for S&S that screwed up people's accounts. Holds didn't drop off for 14 days, multiple holds, etc.

Use a credit card. When you get home, transfer the $$ in your debit account to cover the credit card bill. Same outcome, no risk of a screwup. You are still paying cash. That's what I do, for all travel.

Get a separate debit account for vacation from the one you have now that has automatic payments coming out of it.

I just automatically have a certain amount of $$ deposited in my vacation debit account every week, it's more than I need even at this point, but the leftovers will be used for our next vacation. That way nothing is being taken out while you're away (no danger of anything bouncing), you have plenty of $$ in your account AND if there should be a problem with a charge or (God forbid) anyone get illegal access to your account, there is a set limit to the bills the can run up before you realize and get it straightened out.

Some people will flip at the idea of using a debit card for S&S, but I've never had a problem.

we are sailing next week (so excited!!) I have initially set up the S&S account using our debit card.. We have $180 OBC. I have read that the OBC won't be available til the 2nd day?? Is that correct? Also, I'm getting nervous about using the debit card...is there a way I can switch it now, or can we just go to the pursers desk and put down a cash deposit?

thanks!

Archived