NCL's Hike and Beach Tour Shore Excursion

brigidfreeman

A 15-minute van ride took the 10 of us to the Carumbola Botanic Gardens. A quick bathroom break then a 20-minute hike up the hill. Pretty steep in places, so wear shoes with tread and be in reasonably good shape. Fantastic view from the hill. Down the hill for refreshment of cocoa seeds, pineapple, bananas and watermelon. Then a 10-minute ride to Las Playas resort for a nice lunch (provided) and about 2-hours on the beach. Lounge chairs are provided and shade is under coconut trees. Very lovely. A bar provides drinks including soda. There are some shops located at the resort, but I found the prices to be best at the "mall" closest to the dock.

At the "mall", I bought 450 gram bag of Honduran coffee beans for $5, and since I bought the coffee she sold me 16-oz bottle of vanilla for $1 each. There are tons of carved wood items including lovely chests. T-shirts, shells, food, Mayan weaving, etc. Much better prices than in Cozumel, Mexico.

You'll find little boys around 10 years old or so following you. I figured out they are just trying to show you to a particular stand. One boy was begging for a coke that my husband was drinking, and occassionally a child would ask for a dollar.

Folks were very polite, friendly and not at all pushy. Roatan is a beautiful island, not to be missed.

Archived