Is there a place to......

veggie59

Is there a place on CC where you can actually discuss specific companies used to book cruises? I have a few questions about one I may use and not sure where I can ask the questions. TIA

Unfortunately, no. Here's CC's official policy:

"There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

"Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

"This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

"Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges."

Thanks for the info.....thats what I thought. :(

As for the not passing along a name of a TA....or the suggestion to email for the name.....well....that happens on here all the time.

I haven't tried this, but consider googling reviews of the company you want to know about.

Hey Flash....that is an obvious. I wanted to be able to get info from my fellow CC'rs....not a search engine :) .

Go look at the port boards. There are posts up there right now that have stayed for some time where a member asks a SPECIFIC question concerning a tour company or guide - without crossing the line showing some kind of open promotion or hostility - and fellow member are allowed to answer with their experiences. The best ones, IMHO, actually post a link to their personal cruise review so the reader can get more information. The 'secret' seems to be that a Cruise Critic member can ASK about a company or guide but you can't just start a thread PRAISING or BLASTING after you have taken a tour. There is a sticky on the port board page explaining "the rules".

Would it help if you try just asking some general questions about the company's policies without naming them? You might be able to get the info you want in a round about way. It's when we get too specific about a particular company that the posts go to post heaven.:D

I cut and pasted this notice in bold below from the top of the Ports of Call board page:

Please post your review or recommendation ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!

The ports of call boards are the place to ask SPECIFIC questions about a guide or company.

Please post your review or recommendation ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!

I cut and pasted this notice in bold below from the top of the Ports of Call board page:

The ports of call boards are the place to ask SPECIFIC questions about a guide or company.

But this policy concerns excursion guides/companies, right? Not travel agencies (cruise-booking agencies). At least that's how I read it.

Archived