Question about purchasing baby formula in Florida

LLM

I am a new mom and will be taking my darling son on our next cruise. He will be 11 months old at cruising time and still on formula. He is on Nestle Good Start with omega 3 and 6. Can this be bought in Florida? I checked on the Wal Mart website but couldn't see any formula. I would much rather only carry a small amount for travel and purchase the remainder down there rather than packing it. We currently use the powder formula and add boiled water. Should I purchase a kettle to use in my cabin for mixing or are the ready to serve cans available down there?

Also, we use Pampers Cruisers. Is this brand available in the US?

Thank you in advance.

Lisa

Yes, you can purchase the formula and Pamper's cruisers here in FL.

We went on a cruise when our daughter was still on formula and what we did was bring a small travel thermos with us. At night we would get it filled with hot water and it would stay hot thru the night for a morning bottle. It worked perfectly!

Good thread!

Does anyone know if Similac is available in the US as well? We use it here in Canada, but wondering about our April cruise out of LA?

Thanks!

Absolutely! You should have no problem finding it in any grocery store.

Just a heads up..we are from Canada and were vacationing in Florida for the month of May. We supplement breast milk with formula only when absolutely necessary, and it turned out we needed more than expected. So I was forced to buy Enfamil while we were down there. Despite having bought the same thing that we brought from home, it was VERY different...even to look at it, it wasn't the same. And just our luck, our boy wouldn't drink it.

After that experience, I wouldn't risk it. I would bring down what you need to be safe.

Also, expect the diapers to be more expensive in the US. Just an FYI.

Just a heads up..we are from Canada and were vacationing in Florida for the month of May. We supplement breast milk with formula only when absolutely necessary, and it turned out we needed more than expected. So I was forced to buy Enfamil while we were down there. Despite having bought the same thing that we brought from home, it was VERY different...even to look at it, it wasn't the same. And just our luck, our boy wouldn't drink it.

After that experience, I wouldn't risk it. I would bring down what you need to be safe.

Also, expect the diapers to be more expensive in the US. Just an FYI.

I didn't even think of the formula being different down there!!! Thanks for the heads up. And I would have expected the diapers to be less expensive as mostly everything else down there is.

Lisa

At 11 months- your child will require less formula and will be eating some solids.

To answer your question- I would just take along what you need. It won't take up that much room and when you come home- you will have alittle more room in your suitcase for other things. Same with diapers- take all that you require and this way you will have more room in your suitcase for dirty laundry and purchases. I used formula that came in individual travel packages. This way no measuring spoon and heavy can. I brought enough packages for the whole trip. Stays nice and fresh.

As for boiling water. There is really no need to boil water for formula. Most kids will simply drink it cold at 11 months. The tap water on the ship is ocean water that has been desalinated. May or may not be that great. I would use bottled water. They always have it in the room (for a fee).

Archived