what do you think of San Juan?

trout5

I have to make a very fast decision on a ship and itinerary after assuming for months that I knew what I wanted. I'm being guided towards RCC Voyager with stop in San Juan. What can I plan for this port for family of 5 with 3 teenage boys?? Normally, I would research it to death but I don't have time so I'm depending upon your expertise! Also, we will have a stop in Nassau. What is there to do outside of market and Atlantis? Anything different or out of the way? Thanks in advance!

San Juan is the only port on our recent Eastern Caribbean cruise that we would like to return to. Clearly SO MUCH to see and do. We actually had been there briefly on Century two years ago -- it was an evening stop -- NOTHING for a family with a then-6-year-old to do -- we walked a few steps off the ship and then got right back on -- This time, well, the difference was night and day! We had a very specific agenda -- with a longer stop (10 am-8 pm), we wanted to go see the Arecibo radiotelescope -- so we hired a private tour guide. What he showed us along the way, including the drive through San Juan on the way back to the ship, made us realize it was a place with so much more to see. There is a beautiful open-sea area just blocks away from the protected port zone ... as mentioned, there is Old San Juan, which looks lovely in the daylight ... the fort ... and then so many other areas of the island, including the aforementioned rain forest, and some caves that are beyond Arecibo if you have a REALLY long day. As for Nassau -- we weren't impressed at all - SEVEN ships there during our stop, a total ZOO in the area around the cruise docks (we had to walk half a mile to get to somewhere that we could catch a cab in the clear!) -- there was no way we were going to go to the much-hyped Atlantis along with thousands of our fellow cruisers -- we had heard a lot about Cable Beach so we caught a cab there -- dropped us off at a place where we couldn't get to the beach, so we again took a bit of a walk, past a lot of barbed-wire blockoffs, finally managed to wander through the Nassau Beach Hotel lobby and onto the beach, not good swimming, the water was full of shredded seaweed (do they harvest offshore? reminds me of what used to wash up after the harvesting boats went by when we lived in San Diego), we made the best of it but that's my "sea day port stop" if we wind up there again!!! -- TR (recently back from Millennium 12/12/04)

Old San Juan is pretty safe to walk around in, especially during the day; just be careful as you would in any place you don't know. Many people speak English, especially in restaurants, shops and bars, but not all do. We love the old world charm. Take a taxi to El Morro fort which is the highest elevation of the old town. After touring the fort, start walking down hill (much better than doing the reverse and walking uphill!) and you can stroll along the cobblestone roads going in and out of shops and restaurants etc. We take many cruises out of San Juan and love to spend a couple of extra days before or after the cruise.

SeaBaby

This was our first stop on our honeymoon and we found it to be very charming. Old San Juan and it's shops kept us busy for hours and we ate at Senor Frogs before boarding. Took some great shots that we have hanging up in the house.

We stayed 4 nights in Old Town after taking an 11-day cruise and loved it. It's a very safe area. There are police, often in groups of 2-3, every few blocks. We walked along the path by the water that follows the fort sea walls late at night and felt quite safe as it was well lit and there were guards posted at the only entries to the walk. I carried a Spanish-English dictionary for the first day, before finding that everyone spoke or understood English. People were gracious and friendly. The food was excellent in some places. Our favorite restaurant is the Tamarind, a steak and seafood place. Best scallops I've ever eaten.

Archived