Croatian currency

AtMaui

I tried to do a search but couldn't find the answer to my question. We're on the Oosterdam in two weeks. Will we be able to get a small amount of Croatian money (for Dubrovnik) on board (for bottled water, souvenirs, etc)? Or do we just have to use an ATM in Dubrovnik?

I tried to do a search but couldn't find the answer to my question. We're on the Oosterdam in two weeks. Will we be able to get a small amount of Croatian money (for Dubrovnik) on board (for bottled water, souvenirs, etc)? Or do we just have to use an ATM in Dubrovnik?

On the Oosterdam in May I did not hear of anyone being able to purchase any Croatian currency at the front desk. Personally I went to the currency exchange located on the right hand side (outside) of the terminal buidling. I exchanged €20 and received 154 Kron. This was enough money for me to take the bus to the Pile Gate (10k), pay to walk the walls (50k), purchase a small souvenier, a couple of postcards and two beers (16k each):) with enough money left over to get me back to the ship. If I recall correctly there was an ATM inside the terminal building but seeing as I was only wanting a small amount of money I felt the currency exchange was the best route rather than incur flat ATM fees which percentage wise I couldn't justify.

Credit cards seemed to be accepted most everywhere for food and souveniers. Euros were acceptable also, with taxis charging €10 to or from the city gates. The bus and city walls were Croatian currency only.

Enjoy your cruise and especially Dubrovnik, it is somewhere I will definately return to one day.

Rochelle

P.S. If you see Gerry in the sports bar tell him hello from Rochelle in Canada ( I was on the first sailing after drydock).

There was also a currency exchange just inside Pile Gate. The shuttle from the port drops you off there, and you could pay the fee for the shuttle in euro or dollars.

(At least when I was there two years ago):)

Interesting how things change. I have not been in Croatia in 16 years but 20 years or so I flew into Dubrovnik on my way to Medjorje in Hertcogovina and at that time the currency was the Dinar. I have about 1000 dinars someplace but I doubt I would ever be able to use them.

The Croatian currency is called Kuna, you will find that Euros are widely accepted but NOT for walking the wall.

Dubrovnik is a beautiful city, enjoy.

You are absolutely correct....thank you for correcting my error.

Rochelle

There's an ATM right where the shuttle bus drops you before you walk thru the entrance to go inside the old walled city. We used our trusty credit card to get the Kuna we spent to walk the wall and buy water, etc.

Thanks so much for all your responses. I was concerned that $$'s or Euros would not be accepted but I'm glad I was wrong. And I like knowing that a currency exchange will be nearby.

The Croatian currency is called Kuna, you will find that Euros are widely accepted but NOT for walking the wall.

Dubrovnik is a beautiful city, enjoy.

We were able to use Euros to walk the wall, but I understand that not all of the entrances will accept Euros.

Regards,

Arlene

Archived