Setting up the onboard expense account w/cash

titans01

I'm trying to set up my onboard expense account on Carnivals website for my FunPass documents and it gives me the option to either set up a cash account or credit account. I want to use cash instead of my debit card but I was under the impression you had to use a debit/credit card first and switch it once you got on the ship. Has anyone just selected the cash option in their documents and if so did you still have to present your debit/credit card when you got there?

Yes did it on my first cruise, and used cash and travelers checks. The second cruise I added money to the account beforehand buying fun ship dollars off the website. It's an easy process when boarding. When you inform them you're using cash, they tell you to go to the Pursers Desk to open the account. When I cruised on the Glory out off Port Canaveral, there was a sign that had cash accounts, but the Service Rep. informed me that they hadnt set it up yet and she didnt know where the sign came from. I don't know if the started accepting cash during check-in yet.

We have used cash to set up our sail and sign account on every cruise we have been on. We just go to the pursers desk as soon as we board the ship and have never had a long wait. We have never been asked to show a credit card. Good thing cause we do not own one. Love having zero credit card debt.

Yes did it on my first cruise, and used cash and travelers checks. The second cruise I added money to the account beforehand buying fun ship dollars off the website. It's an easy process when boarding. When you inform them you're using cash, they tell you to go to the Pursers Desk to open the account. When I cruised on the Glory out off Port Canaveral, there was a sign that had cash accounts, but the Service Rep. informed me that they hadnt set it up yet and she didnt know where the sign came from. I don't know if the started accepting cash during check-in yet.

Can you explain more about the fun ship dollars? I assume I can just buy them with my debit card and apply them to my account now and at the end if I have any left over do they issue me a check or does the fun dollars have to be carried over? It might be nice to just do this option so I don't have to take extra cash or travelers checks with me.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I still can't get over how fast and helpful this site is. I know my cruise is going to be so much better because of it.

No need to worry...

You can simply check the cash option and add money once you're on board.

Go directly to the Purser's Desk once you board, give 'em your Sail & Sign card, the cash and you'll be rockin' in a matter of minutes!!

Also, you can call the Bon Voyage Dept at 800-906-7603 and add money as OBC from your debit card. Make sure you tell them you want it as OBC and not Fun Ship Dollars! If you ask, they'll send you an email confirmation of the transaction. It's a good idea to print it and bring it along in case there's some mix up on the ship!!!

:)

I just did it this week for a cruise in dec. Its in gifts and services. I used my debit card and got a email right away. It gets added to obc about 2 weeks before your cruise.

I just did it this week for a cruise in dec. Its in gifts and services. I used my debit card and got a email right away. It gets added to obc about 2 weeks before your cruise.

Excellent point... You MUST apply money to the account AT LEAST 14 days out... After that you can only add money to the account on board...

:)

Apparently they have a "recommended" amount and they break it down for you $100 for cruise 3-5 days and then $200 for cruises 6-8 pp. And there is one for longer cruises but I dont know it. I just plan to put 200 when I go on the Legend in September.

Apparently they have a "recommended" amount and they break it down for you $100 for cruise 3-5 days and then $200 for cruises 6-8 pp. And there is one for longer cruises but I dont know it. I just plan to put 200 when I go on the Legend in September.

If you have pre-paid your gratuities, do they still expect $200 pp?

My kids only put $50 each on the S&S account last year. Not a problem.

There tip's were pre paid.

There system mostly works like a debit card. If you don't have enough money you can't buy until you add more.

I would put enough on it so I would have to stop what I'm doing and have to run to the purser desk to add money.

They give you a check on the last day for the un used money and if you want to wait in line they will cash it for you.

My kids only put $50 each on the S&S account last year. Not a problem.

There tip's were pre paid.

There system mostly works like a debit card. If you don't have enough money you can't buy until you add more.

I would put enough on it so I would have to stop what I'm doing and have to run to the purser desk to add money.

They give you a check on the last day for the un used money and if you want to wait in line they will cash it for you.

The check you don't have to stand in line for? Do they put it in your room?

Last cruise, (7 day), we went to the Purser's desk and gave them $500(for two of us) in traveler's checks(which, by the way, are a dying breed!). No problem. On the last night before I went to bed, I went back to the purser's desk and they gave me my balance, in cash.($80 or so).

Last time, I called ahead and put money on my S&S accout so that I had on board credit. I did it about a week before. Then I put my debit card as back up if I went over that amount and checked on it a few times to make sure. I had some extra cash after ports so I put more cash on my account at the purser's desk and only ended up putting about 40 dollars from the last night/morning (bought a picture and a couple drinks) onto my debit card.

So, if I am understanding this correctly...there isn't a set minimum for using cash for your s&s card, just a "suggested" minimum?

We are prepaying our gratuities, we don't drink alcohol, and don't plan to shop on board, so we shouldn't have trouble keeping our onboard spending fairly low.

I only put 100.00 on a six day cruise one time. I added as I went. If I have to go back to put on more money I am having to think about what I am spending. Just keeps me in check. Had problems with CC before and now have no debt. Don't want to go there again. I never give them any kind of card at all. I have gone over before but they let you know you have an outstanding balance. Usually when you go over it is only by a couple of dollars, more than that and they deny the purchase.

Candi

But curious..as to what is the difference between OBC and Funship Dollars? I thought that they were one and the same...

Fun ship dollar's are actually gift certificate people can buy to give to others.

With that said , lots of people buy them for themselves and instead of having them mailed they just put it in and it become OBC.

So, if I am understanding this correctly...there isn't a set minimum for using cash for your s&s card, just a "suggested" minimum?

We are prepaying our gratuities, we don't drink alcohol, and don't plan to shop on board, so we shouldn't have trouble keeping our onboard spending fairly low.

Yes it a suggested minimum. Like I said My Adult kids only put $50 each on there S & S card.

But if you use a CC they will put a hold for the suggested minimum

fun ship dollar's are actually gift certificate people can buy to give to others.

With that said , lots of people buy them for themselves and instead of having them mailed they just put it in and it become obc.

okay gotcha!!! Thanks! :d

just happen to see this about fun ship dollars. I buy them too.....when I do I just put our booking number in the address field and tell them to keep them in house. I can see the amount of our cruise documents now too. I think we had about $200 last year when we got on the ship.

Originally Posted by thoneycu viewpost.gif

Yep, instead of putting your address in the address line when buying them, just put "add to booking #XXXXXX" , then they are just applied to your account as on board credit. I always receive a confirmation and then an email from a Carnival Guest Services rep stating that it has been applied as on board credit. I wait a few days and check my documents and it shows up. We have never been given restrictions on what we could use it for, it's just OBC. We always step onto the ship with several $$$ obc. Makes the bill so much smaller at the end..... :D

Archived