Monreale Duomo

alicenh

I am planning to visit Monreale Duomo while in Palermo. I read on the boards that you could walk to Piazza Indipendenza and buy the bus tickets to Monreale Duomo. Yesterday I was playing with Google Earth and focused in on Piazza Indipendenza and it didn't appear that it was within walking distance to the cruise docks. Can someone advise what would be the best mode of transportation? Thank you.

Actually the walk to the Piazza Indipendenza is nice, through old parts of the city, passing the cathedrale and the Norman palace. It takes, depending on your pace, maybe 45 minutes without much rush.

Another option is a short walk to Piazza Castelnuovo (use Via Emerico Amari straight from the cruise terminal) and the bus from there to Piazza Indipendenza.

Yet, I must say, after having taken the later route, I would not do so again because it takes a lot of time if you are unlucky like us and have to wait long times for the buses.

We were quoted € 40 or so for a taxi to Monreale and should have taken it.

My suggestion: take a taxi up to Monreale. Go early as the sights there close in early afternoon. Take the bus down and walk back to the ship. Depending on your time left you can stop to visit for example the cathedrale or one of the many other beautiful churches etc.

I guess it depends what you consider walking distance. I did this in May, and it was about 2 miles to Piazza Indipendienza. I like to walk around cities-- I see a lot more that way, than whizzing by in a vehicle. Traffic was heavy in Palermo, but they have good sidewalks, and lights at the pedestrian crosswalks. It was an interesting walk, but if you prefer to take a cab or bus, you won't have any difficulty getting one from the port.

At the AMAT shed on the north side of Piazza della Indipendienza, we bought 4 tickets (round trips for both of us) at 1.20 € each. Then crossed Piazza della Indipendienza to the church at the south side, in front of which we found the 389 bus to Monreale. The buses run every 24 minutes. The bus ride to Monreale took about 20 minutes, and was very interesting. We got to see quite a bit of Palermo on the way, including the city cathedral.

We were glad we went to Monreale, because it’s a lot more charming than Palermo. The buildings are old with red terracotta roofs, the streets are cobblestoned, and it’s set high on a hill with great views. The cathedral has some of the best Byzantine mosaics in the world. Its interior is in perfect condition for a church 900+ years old. It’s a real jewel box. The gold and mosaic decorations are stunning. We loved it.

• 4 years later...
I guess it depends what you consider walking distance. I did this in May, and it was about 2 miles to Piazza Indipendienza. I like to walk around cities-- I see a lot more that way, than whizzing by in a vehicle. Traffic was heavy in Palermo, but they have good sidewalks, and lights at the pedestrian crosswalks. It was an interesting walk, but if you prefer to take a cab or bus, you won't have any difficulty getting one from the port.

At the AMAT shed on the north side of Piazza della Indipendienza, we bought 4 tickets (round trips for both of us) at 1.20 € each. Then crossed Piazza della Indipendienza to the church at the south side, in front of which we found the 389 bus to Monreale. The buses run every 24 minutes. The bus ride to Monreale took about 20 minutes, and was very interesting. We got to see quite a bit of Palermo on the way, including the city cathedral.

We were glad we went to Monreale, because it’s a lot more charming than Palermo. The buildings are old with red terracotta roofs, the streets are cobblestoned, and it’s set high on a hill with great views. The cathedral has some of the best Byzantine mosaics in the world. Its interior is in perfect condition for a church 900+ years old. It’s a real jewel box. The gold and mosaic decorations are stunning. We loved it.

The bus sounds like the best way to go. 40 Eurus for a taxi is ridiculous.

The bus sounds like the best way to go. 40 Eurus for a taxi is ridiculous.

Are you planning a trip? This thread is about 5 years old -- so be aware that prices (for bus tickets or anything else) have likely changed.

I see you've pulled up several very old threads this morning. If you are new to researching on the ports of call boards, it's always a good idea to check the dates of the original posts -- the information in old posts won't be current and shouldn't be depended on for things like costs, hours of opening, etc.

Are you planning a trip? This thread is about 5 years old -- so be aware that prices (for bus tickets or anything else) have likely changed.

I see you've pulled up several very old threads this morning. If you are new to researching on the ports of call boards, it's always a good idea to check the dates of the original posts -- the information in old posts won't be current and shouldn't be depended on for things like costs, hours of opening, etc.

Thank you. I do assume that the 40 Euro taxi fare will cost more now and I will plan on taking the bus.

Thank you. I do assume that the 40 Euro taxi fare will cost more now and I will plan on taking the bus.

I noticed in researching my upcoming cruise that the AMAT Bus 389 no longer runs to Monreale.

The AMAT site has a notice about the #389 -

Linea 389 - Variazione:

http://www.amat.pa.it/

Da lunedì 10 dicembre 2012 AMAT è cessato il servizio di collegamento con il Comune di Monreale. Pertanto, il terminale della Linea 389 sarà attestato in località Rocca-Mezzomonreale.

From Monday, December 10, 2012 AMAT has ceased activity in connection with the City of Monroe. Therefore, the end of the line 389 will be certified in Rocca-Mezzomonreale.

Susan

I noticed in researching my upcoming cruise that the AMAT Bus 389 no longer runs to Monreale.

The AMAT site has a notice about the #389 -

Linea 389 - Variazione:

http://www.amat.pa.it/

Da lunedì 10 dicembre 2012 AMAT è cessato il servizio di collegamento con il Comune di Monreale. Pertanto, il terminale della Linea 389 sarà attestato in località Rocca-Mezzomonreale.

From Monday, December 10, 2012 AMAT has ceased activity in connection with the City of Monroe. Therefore, the end of the line 389 will be certified in Rocca-Mezzomonreale.

Susan

Is taking a taxi or walking the only options now?

I found this info on TripAdvisor. The City Sightseeing only runs to Monreale April - October.

AST runs bus service between Palermo and Monreale every day but Sunday.

http://www.aziendasicilianatrasporti.it/

And City Sightseeing Palermo’s Palermo-Monreale runs every day of the week, including Sundays until 30 September.

http://www.palermo.city-sightseeing.it/eng/

…city-sightseeing.it/orari_monreale.pdf

The City Sightseeing only runs to Monreale April - October.

I decided to stay in Palermo and see the cappella Palatina in the Palazzo dei Normanni instead.

http://www.fondazionefedericosecondo.it/en/palatine-chapel.html

Susan

I found this info on TripAdvisor. The City Sightseeing only runs to Monreale April - October.

AST runs bus service between Palermo and Monreale every day but Sunday.

http://www.aziendasicilianatrasporti.it/

And City Sightseeing Palermo’s Palermo-Monreale runs every day of the week, including Sundays until 30 September.

http://www.palermo.city-sightseeing.it/eng/

…city-sightseeing.it/orari_monreale.pdf

The City Sightseeing only runs to Monreale April - October.

I decided to stay in Palermo and see the cappella Palatina in the Palazzo dei Normanni instead.

http://www.fondazionefedericosecondo.it/en/palatine-chapel.html

Susan

Thank you, Susan for the tip on the hop on - hop off bus. We have used them in Singapore and Hong Kong