Minneapolis airport tips?

Just found out our connecting flight was changed (thanks for letting us know, Expedia - NOT!!) and now we have 1hr15 minutes to make it. As of now, we're going from gates G to C.

Any suggestions for expediting?

MSP is a logically laid out airport, though that only helps in navigation. Suggest you first go HERE and become familiar with the airport layout. Next, it is far from certain that you are going G to C. Gates can and do change. Your best tip is to have a good picture of the airport in your mind.

A couple of pieces of info. All gates can be accessed without leaving security. There is an automated tram that runs the length of the C concourse - stopping roughly at C1, C12 and C25. Otherwise, there are moving walkways the length of the concourse. There is a moving walkway on the connector between C and G (roughly C16 to G17). There is a moving walkway down the length of the G concourse, but no tram. There is NO walkway in the main terminal building, nor on the E & F concourses. There are also golfcarts run by the airport to help move you through the airport, and they have specified "routes" - designated concourses labeled on the front.

75 minutes is plenty of time at MSP....you just need to know where you are headed and don't dawdle. Distances can be up there, but with use of the walkways and trams, it is managable.

Post with any more specific questions you may have....I connect through MSP often (in fact, will be doing it Sunday morning).

MSP is a logically laid out airport, though that only helps in navigation. Suggest you first go HERE and become familiar with the airport layout. Next, it is far from certain that you are going G to C. Gates can and do change. Your best tip is to have a good picture of the airport in your mind.

A couple of pieces of info. All gates can be accessed without leaving security. There is an automated tram that runs the length of the C concourse - stopping roughly at C1, C12 and C25. Otherwise, there are moving walkways the length of the concourse. There is a moving walkway on the connector between C and G (roughly C16 to G17). There is a moving walkway down the length of the G concourse, but no tram. There is NO walkway in the main terminal building, nor on the E & F concourses. There are also golfcarts run by the airport to help move you through the airport, and they have specified "routes" - designated concourses labeled on the front.

75 minutes is plenty of time at MSP....you just need to know where you are headed and don't dawdle. Distances can be up there, but with use of the walkways and trams, it is managable.

Post with any more specific questions you may have....I connect through MSP often (in fact, will be doing it Sunday morning).

Awesome advice, thank you. Yes, we will be armed w/ the terminal map. We did request a cart, and we will be one of the 1st off the plane, so that should help. We're thinking it's faster than the moving walkways, especially w/ 8 yo in tow. Though she does great, I must say . . .

If we don't do the cart, how long do you think it'll take to get from G to C?

IMHO 75 minutes is cutting it close. While well laid out MSP has long distances to navigate. At this point there is no way to know what your transfer will be. My problem with 75 minutes is will your plane be on time and if so will there be a gate. Last summer we sat for 25 minutes on the apron waiting for our gate to clear. If that were to happen to you even if you made your connection would your luggage.

IMHO 75 minutes is cutting it close. While well laid out MSP has long distances to navigate. At this point there is no way to know what your transfer will be. My problem with 75 minutes is will your plane be on time and if so will there be a gate. Last summer we sat for 25 minutes on the apron waiting for our gate to clear. If that were to happen to you even if you made your connection would your luggage.

That's exactly the concern. At least our 1st flight is at noon, so there's less of a chance of delay than if we left later in the afternoon/evening.

I'm hoping the cart will get us there quicker.

As far as the luggage, hopefully it'll make it as well, but that can always be put on a later flight. We've packed to account for not having it for a bit.

NW has MSP down to a fine art, IMO. Minimum connecting time is 40 minutes, so you are OK....luggage should also have no problems. The big issue will be you moving from gate to gate. (There is WAY too much obsessing over "lost" luggage out there....far less than 1% of bags get delayed, and there are ways to mitigate. Read sticky at the top of the Cruise Air forum)

As for how to get from G to C....totally depends on which gates in the concourse. If you are going from C2 to G2, then cut through the terminal. If from C10 to G 14, use the moving walkway cut-across. For some other combo, figure out which way around the "square" is the shortest. Just know that the walkways on the cross-over are faster than walking through the terminal, but you can hit a shop if you need anything when in the terminal. The tram is faster than the walkways on C, BTW, even with the wait for the next one.

Like every connection airport, the trick is to know the layout in advance, so you aren't wasting time trying to figure out where you are. There's a map of MSP in the magazine, though not as good as on the NW website (DL is using their own maps, which don't have the NW gate detail).

As for the cart....you could be waiting a while for it. Have a contingency plan ready for walking. In fact, I might be walking first and try to "flag down" a cart along the way. (Also, the carts are primarily for the use of elderly/disabled pax).

FlyerTalker's comments are dead-on accurate, you will have no problem if your flights are even close to schedule (which they typically are at MSP) and the specific gates matter almost more than the concourse - getting from the beginning of the C to the end of the C or the beginning of the G to the end of the G is potentially longer than getting between certain gates between the C and the G.

Since you're arriving/departing on the C and G, obviously you are flying Northwest, and they are very good about holding flights for connecting passengers if schedules become challenged.

I really don't think that you'll need a cart, and depending upon passenger traffic walking in the concourses the carts are not necessarily the fastest way to get between gates.

My favorite quick snack at MSP when connecting through: Maui Tacos on Concourse C!

Cheers,

Ken (who no longer lives in MN, but did for many years)

Not to obsess but I guess I represent a significant portion of lost/delayed luggage, one suitcase has never turned up, on NW by the way.

I always check my bags for anything longer than a 3 day trip, however, it is highly recommended to pack meds, and survival clothes in a carryon so you won't be stuck when you are one of the 1 percent.

Archived