"Transfer to Rome" by bus with Holland America?

MiniMoustic

sorry, thanks for the correction .. the verb should have been scioperare. That is what one gets for not having anyone to speak to in Italian in their town .. or is it turning 60? Regarding timing, we have been in places in Italy when they have turned up on short notice which was posted at the train station - hence not a wildcatter. Granted we knew several hours in advance, but if one is arriving by ship, how do it know?

harry

There are web sites with all the information regarding strike days. There are none planned for Sept 13.

Terri

I think you do a disservice to all readers of this thread to insist there will be web notice of a pending strike. Anyone who has traveled through Italy to any large extent knows Italian public transportation can be sporadic and undependable.

While it is highly likely most will ride their train with no interruption or cancellation of service, SOME may not.

Please do not insist it cannot happen. It is unfair to people depending upon this information and you cannot know it will not happen to them.

I think you do a disservice to all readers of this thread to insist there will be web notice of a pending strike. Anyone who has traveled through Italy to any large extent knows Italian public transportation can be sporadic and undependable.

While it is highly likely most will ride their train with no interruption or cancellation of service, SOME may not.

Please do not insist it cannot happen. It is unfair to people depending upon this information and you cannot know it will not happen to them.

Thanks for the rescue ... we travel to Italy at least once a year, sometimes more often. While it is reassuring to know there may be a website predicting strikes, the last time we were in Cinque Terra, there was a strike called the morning we were taking the train from one village to another rather than doing the more athletic approach via the path and naturally we had to wait.

I avoid trains in Italy only when I have a tight schedule .. otherwise, we love them.

harry

I will say no more. However, I also have traveled in Italy before the cruise last September and have used the trains.

I have also experienced strikes and still would do it that way again.

First of all, this whole thread should be on the Ports of Call Board and not here.

I am of the opinion that you do a disservice as well, encouraging people to spend big bucks for something they can do for a lot less money. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Some people here just think they are the final authority on everything relating to cruises and there is no room for anyone else's opinion.

I have found this more times than not. Especially on the thread for the Good Nuts Cruise. If you are not part of the small intimate group you might as well not bother expressing your opinion.

Enough said.

Edited by tbrein

I will say no more. However, I also have traveled in Italy before the cruise last September and have used the trains.

First of all, this whole thread should be on the Ports of Call Board and not here.

I am of the opinion that you do a disservice as well, encouraging people to spend big bucks for something they can do for a lot less money. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Some people here just think they are the final authority on everything relating to cruises and there is no room for anyone else's opinion.

I have found this more times than not. Especially on the thread for the Good Nuts Cruise. If you are not part of the small intimate group you might as well not bother expressing your opinion.

Enough said.

Very well said. I agree with you completely.

Enough said.

It was a pleasure meeting you on our last cruise and I look forward to the day when we can all cruise together again. :)

It was a pleasure meeting you on our last cruise and I look forward to the day when we can all cruise together again. :)

Same here, we had a great time even though we were not in the inner circle. I also hope we can do it again someday.

Same here, we had a great time even though we were not in the inner circle. I also hope we can do it again someday.

We'll form our "own" circle (as in everyone that joins the roll call is actually included and not ignored). lol We're thinking of doing Alaska and the Caribbean in 2011, so maybe we can get together then.

wow .. I suppose if one airs their own humble opinion and it happens to coincide with someone else's viewpoint then they have become gang of two. Before you know it, they might even get into politics.

I suggest the purpose of this board is to exchange information, to be critical (hence, Cruise CRITIC) and to be honest and forthright. I do not wish to offend anyone, but sometimes we are going to agree to disagree. Unless someone is obnoxious, I take it as their opinion and leave it at that. This is not a life/death situation .. those are the only ones one should be obnoxious to a fault if necessary IMHO.

harry

wow .. I suppose if one airs their own humble opinion and it happens to coincide with someone else's viewpoint then they have become gang of two. Before you know it, they might even get into politics.

I suggest the purpose of this board is to exchange information, to be critical (hence, Cruise CRITIC) and to be honest and forthright. I do not wish to offend anyone, but sometimes we are going to agree to disagree. Unless someone is obnoxious, I take it as their opinion and leave it at that. This is not a life/death situation .. those are the only ones one should be obnoxious to a fault if necessary IMHO.

harry

Just what I was trying to do Harry-exhange information. However I was being shot down for suggesting that doing a little homework may result in a more economic way of doing things.

We are not a gang of two and I am certainly not obnoxious. But I certainly did not do anyone a "disservice" either.

In the end, the OP will do what she and her husband are comfotable with.

Speaking of "gangs of two" you and Sail seem to be on the same page also.

tbrein.....

I am reading your posts and wish you to know I do not plan to get into this contest.

I have given my opinion and reasons for it. You have given yours. That is what is appropriate here.

Everyone's opinion is welcome. All readers cull from the info and make their own choices. No one here has told you to not express your opinion. Please do not tell anyone else to not voice theirs.

Thank you.

tbrein.....

I am reading your posts and wish you to know I do not plan to get into this contest.

I have given my opinion and reasons for it. You have given yours. That is what is appropriate here.

Everyone's opinion is welcome. All readers cull from the info and make their own choices. No one here has told you to not express your opinion. Please do not tell anyone else to not voice theirs.

Thank you.

Exactly what I said. Gee, we both agree!

I have found this thread an interesting and informative (as we as revealing) read, particularly given that I'll be transferring from Rome to Civitavecchia to board the Rotterdam on October 31. Frankly, I appreciate information from any and everywhere, and even though I'll not be using public transport (i.e., the train) I've found this thread helpful.

Oh, and as an aside ... one really should be careful with broad paint brushes.

I have found this thread an interesting and informative (as we as revealing) read, particularly given that I'll be transferring from Rome to Civitavecchia to board the Rotterdam on October 31. Frankly, I appreciate information from any and everywhere, and even though I'll not be using public transport (i.e., the train) I've found this thread helpful.

Oh, and as an aside ... one really should be careful with broad paint brushes.

Amen

[quote name='tbrein']Just what I was trying to do Harry-exhange information. However I was being shot down for suggesting that doing a little homework may result in a more economic way of doing things.
We are not a gang of two and I am certainly not obnoxious. But I certainly did not do anyone a "disservice" either.
Speaking of "gangs of two" you and Sail seem to be on the same page also.[/QUOTE]

LOL ... This is a first for me! I've been called a lot of things (helpful, kind, fun) but never "A gang of two." So, Lefty, what shall we do next? lol

Anyway...

It took me a little bit of time but eventually I realized that even if you align yourself with certain posters, one day you'll find yourself on a Ritz cracker (as a snack). Not all posters understand this until they are on the way down the pipes. lol

I personally like to hear all the options, but ALL the posters ... not just the few that are here 24/7. You gave the OP excellent options and that's what it's about. Options. Then it's up to us to make the decision as to what works best for "us."

[quote name='tbrein']Just what I was trying to do Harry-exhange information. However I was being shot down for suggesting that doing a little homework may result in a more economic way of doing things.
Speaking of "gangs of two" you and Sail seem to be on the same page also.[/QUOTE]

LOL ... This is a first for me! I've been called a lot of things (helpful, kind, fun) but never "A gang of two." So, Lefty, what shall we do next? lol

Anyway...

It took me a little bit of time but eventually I realized that even if you align yourself with certain posters, one day you'll find yourself on a Ritz cracker (as a snack). Not all posters understand this until they are on the way down the pipes. lol

I personally like to hear all the options, but ALL the posters ... not just the few that are here 24/7. You gave the OP excellent options and that's what it's about. Options. Then it's up to us to make the decision as to what works best for "us." In these tough economic times it's nice to have options that might make vacations more affordable. HAL excursions are expensive, and while some may prefer to pay the money and be done with it, others may wish to explore other options. That's what this forum is about, or at least I thought so, and your help and guidance is always appreciated. :)

Anyway...

I personally like to hear all the options, from ALL the posters ... not just the few that are here 24/7. You gave the OP excellent options and that's what it's about. Options. Then it's up to us to make the decision as to what works best for "us." In these tough economic times it's nice to have options that might make vacations more affordable. HAL excursions are expensive, and while some may prefer to pay the money and be done with it, others may wish to explore other options. That's what this forum is about, or at least I thought so, and your help and guidance is always appreciated. :)

I am just back from the 12 day Barcelona to Venice O'dam cruise which stopped in Civitivecchia (spelling?).

To go to Rome we took the free shuttle from pier to the port gate, walked to the train station, (which was very close and a straight shot along the waterfront making it pretty much impossible to get lost) and got the train to Rome. Everyone is saying 8.50 Euros each but I am remembering it as 9. As mentioned, we got the BIRG ticket which included round trip train fare and free subway service in Rome.

The ride to Roma Termini was about an hour and 20 minutes. The train was full, as in no empty seats, so keep that in mind and sit accordingly. Once we got to Rome we got directions how to get to the Coliseum (spelling, again?) by subway and went there. From there we sight saw and walked, eventually ending up at the Spanish Steps where we jumped back on the subway back to Roma Termini to catch a return train.

We had no problems with the trains in either directions or the subway and would probably do the same thing again if the situation arose. However, the trains were PACKED AND HOT.

I would say, the things to factor in when making the decision to take the Holland Shuttle or Italian public transit are 1) Comfort Level, 2) Security & 3) Cost.

For me/us cost out-weighted comfort level and we took the train. For others it might not.

I did not give security much of a thought as I had enough money to hire a car to take me back to the ship from Rome if I really needed to. That is always my first consideration, can I get back if something does go wrong. My personal opinion is, in this case, the train is reliable enough and the cost savings is substantial enough to make it a no-brainer.

Nothing is ever certain, but a lot of things are probable.

[quote name='Joedog']I am just back from the 12 day Barcelona to Venice O'dam cruise which stopped in Civitivecchia (spelling?).

To go to Rome we took the free shuttle from pier to the port gate, walked to the train station, (which was very close and a straight shot along the waterfront making it pretty much impossible to get lost) and got the train to Rome. Everyone is saying 8.50 Euros each but I am remembering it as 9. As mentioned, we got the BIRG ticket which included round trip train fare and free subway service in Rome.

The ride to Roma Termini was about an hour and 20 minutes. The train was full, as in no empty seats, so keep that in mind and sit accordingly. Once we got to Rome we got directions how to get to the Coliseum (spelling, again?) by subway and went there. From there we sight saw and walked, eventually ending up at the Spanish Steps where we jumped back on the subway back to Roma Termini to catch a return train.

We had no problems with the trains in either directions or the subway and would probably do the same thing again if the situation arose. However, the trains were PACKED AND HOT.

I would say, the things to factor in when making the decision to take the Holland Shuttle or Italian public transit are 1) Comfort Level, 2) Security & 3) Cost.

For me/us cost out-weighted comfort level and we took the train. For others it might not.

I did not give security much of a thought as I had enough money to hire a car to take me back to the ship from Rome if I really needed to. That is always my first consideration, can I get back if something does go wrong. My personal opinion is, in this case, the train is reliable enough and the cost savings is substantial enough to make it a no-brainer.

Nothing is ever certain, but a lot of things are probable.[/quote]

Thank you for your post. I am glad it worked out for you.

Greg, I enjoyed meeting you on the cruise.
Terri

[quote name='twinkletoes4445']LOL...What the heck? How did that happen? I guess I am getting old! :)

It was a pleasure meeting you, Greg. :)[/QUOTE]

No, you're not getting old. Sometimes one's postings to the board appear to not go through and so one hits the "submit" key again and it posts the post a second time. I've had that happen a few times.

And I enjoyed getting to meet you, too! Edited by RevNeal

[quote name='tbrein']Greg, I enjoyed meeting you on the cruise.
Terri[/QUOTE]

Dito, Terri. It was a pleasant cruise and I enjoyed it and getting to meet so many CCers whom I hadn't had an opportunity to meet, face to face. I always enjoy doing that, and haven't yet met someone I didn't like. And, I would always enjoy an opportunity to meet more.

I don't know if I'll be doing another Caribbean cruise anytime soon, so that may have been the last time for a while. :)

[quote name='RevNeal']No, you're not getting old. Sometimes one's postings to the board appear to not go through and so one hits the "submit" key again and it posts the post a second time. I've had that happen a few times.

And I enjoyed getting to meet you, too![/QUOTE]

I think what I did on one was I went back and added something (I think I may have used the arrow on the top left of the computer). That may be what happened on one of the posts. I probably did hit the "submit" again and that explains the other. All it takes is a simple distraction! The phone rings ... I sneeze ... it doesn't take much and my finger clicks away. lol

I do hope our paths cross once again on another cruise. :)