time to circle the island to check out beaches?

sunseeker09

So I've now seen many gorgeous pictures of various beaches in Barbados. I see that a lot of these beaches are rugged, which is what makes them beautiful to me. We'd love to go around, stop for a bit to admire and take photos, then carry on, maybe finally stopping for awhile on a beach that is good for swimming/snorkeling and has basic facilities.

I was wondering if a trip around the island to see all sorts of beaches would be doable in day?

If not, is there a portion that would include a rugged beach or two, like Bottom Bay? (I think we NEED to go there :)

I guess the best way to do this would be to hire a driver/taxi? What do you think that would cost? I guess a private tour company would be ok if there is such a thing that does beaches only? ...and the groups are small. I don't want to be herded around on a big cattle bus (no offense, but I don't think we'll be doing any of Carnival's excursions not only for the cost, but for the crowds)

TIA for your input. :) ...Aplmac??? :D

Bottom Bay, Crane Beach & Foul Bay could easily be done in a day and they are all rugged and edged by cliffs. Bottom Bay and Foul Bay will have very few people if any. Crane will have people as it is very popular and has a resort next to it.

http://barbados.org/maps_google_set.htm?mapSet=4

You could take a cab and go to Bottom Bay first, then have the driver take you on to Foul Bay and after that drop you off at Crane. By then it would be close to lunch time and you could eat at either Cutters or the Crane. Because Crane is has a hotel there are cabs there, so you could take a different one back to the ship. If you decide to eat at Cutters and walk to the public access of Crane Beach from there, you could ask Roger (Cutter's owner) to call a cab for you.

Thanks :) That's probably a much more realistic approach time wise, then trying to get around the whole island. I get a little over-enthusiastic sometimes. lol. Since our ship get's in at 8:00 we'll get a good jump on the crowds anyway for those photo op beaches.

I like the idea of parting ways with the driver to do some relaxing and have lunch. Is Crane good for swimming and snorkeling though? ...or would it be better to go to Accra/Rockley for that?

P.S. Great link for showing where all the beaches are! Thanks. Google Earth is the greatest thing!

So if we spend the majority of our day on Crane beach, what is it like for snorkeling? If it's not the best for that there, then no point in lugging our snorkel gear. Or should we go somewhere else for better snorkeling?

Crane is not good for snorkelling. In my opinion, Barbados is not that greaty for snorkelling. There's Folkstone and the turtles nearby but honestly it's not like Grand Cayman or even St. Thomas. It's not always clear and the reefs are not close to the shore. It's a bit of a swim.

Crane has waves - good for jumping in. They also have a walkway to the cliff edge where you can dive in (if you're daring enough). You can also rent a boogie board at Crane. The sand is pink and never gets hot.

Crane is a good place to have lunch. If you have the cab driver bring you right in through the gate (tell the gate attendant you're there for lunch). They will charge you $25bds/$12.50US pp to go through the gate. The fee is redeemable at the restaurant. This is to slow down traffic through their resort - customers only - either hotel or restaurant. There's also an outside shower to rinse off and restrooms. There is outside seating at the restaurant for those who come in .. not quite dried off from the beach.

With these three beaches you'll get some amazing pictures. Make sure to walk along the cliff edge above Bottom Bay as well as taking the stairs down to the beach.

If you wanted to add another beach you could go to Sam Lord's castle, which is beyond Bottom Bay. The hotel is closed down, so you have to walk through an access path along the side of this old run down establishment. It's interesting to see and imagine what once was.

Thanks for the advice. We don't have to snorkel on every island. So maybe we'll just leave the gear behind on Barbados and take in the beautiful, more rugged beaches and stop at Crane for lunch as you suggest.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. You could provided you don't get lost and end up late back at the ship. And yes, you can get lost easily in Barbados. There is no coastal road to follow - lots of dead ends & poor signage. If you decide to brave it in a rental car, bring a compass from home. You'll need it.

Bottom Bay, Crane Beach & Foul Bay could easily be done in a day

You could take a cab and go to Bottom Bay first, then have the driver take you on to Foul Bay and after that drop you off at Crane. By then it would be close to lunch time and you could eat at either Cutters or the Crane. Because Crane is has a hotel there are cabs there, so you could take a different one back to the ship. If you decide to eat at Cutters and walk to the public access of Crane Beach from there, you could ask Roger (Cutter's owner) to call a cab for you.

Hi NHRedSoxFan

We happened to see your post as we were searching for things to do in Barbados..This sounds like a great idea..any thing you can tell us about the cab rates, from the ship dock, if we want to do this - per person (we are 2 adults)

Thanks in advance..

Rae

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived