Need to decide - Spirit vs. Dawn to Bermuda w/kids

giantcrazy

Well, it looks like jimswims and I will be sailing together ;)

Booked last night for the 8/7 sailing. Of course, all the research went into the toilet in 5 minutes as we had limited availability:

- Try and book out of NYC to avoid driving - no availability

- Avoid the fore and aft, try and stay midship - we ended up aft, all the way

- Try and stay on one of the middle decks - we're on Deck 11

- Needed a room with a fridge for the baby's formula - two rooms, no fridges

At this point I'm surprised I successfully booked a cruise; considering I'm batting zero, I wouldn't be surprised to find a plane out there :)

The upside I guess is it seems that the kids will be spending most of their time on the aft of the ship by the kiddie pool, and it's on deck 10, one below where we are. Now I'm going to have to buy everything imaginable (sea bands, ginger pills, meclizine) to ensure that whatever extra motion we feel is negated and everyone is OK at sea.

Deep breaths...

Thanks all for your help - far more helpful than the travel agents I came across and a lot more polite.

Welcome aboard. Come over to the Roll Call section and meet some other people on this sailing.

You booked just in time since the ship is sailing out with a few balconies and a suite left.

I would check with the pediatrician on what meds to give the kids. I do know that they now have Bonine for children. Bonine seems to work the best for my kids but they are older, 14 and 11.

I have heard the there a a few small refridgerators available on request. I do not know much about that however and we have not tried this in the past.

Booked last night for the 8/7 sailing. Of course, all the research went into the toilet in 5 minutes as we had limited availability:

At this point I'm surprised I successfully booked a cruise; considering I'm batting zero, I wouldn't be surprised to find a plane out there :)

The upside I guess is it seems that the kids will be spending most of their time on the aft of the ship by the kiddie pool, and it's on deck 10, one below where we are. Now I'm going to have to buy everything imaginable (sea bands, ginger pills, meclizine) to ensure that whatever extra motion we feel is negated and everyone is OK at sea.

Deep breaths...

Thanks all for your help - far more helpful than the travel agents I came across and a lot more polite.

We always book deck eleven on most of Norwegians ships.Your're one deck below the main pool and buffet.They're so easy to walk to.With the open decks in the back of the Spirit being so close it will be like having your own deck.Call your TA about the fridge.They are only suppose to give them to people who really need it ( medicine formula etc.).Give it a try.

The Dawn is actually in Bermuda 3 more hours than the Sprit:rolleyes: The Spirit docks at 11, the Dawn docks at 8 am. don't want to confuse the OP anymore, but both are fantastic ships, will be on the Dawn again in 22 days and can't wait:D Bermuda here we come, also traveling with 2 dd's 10 and 15 they love cruising and Bermuda is their favorite island. Happy sailing.

Actually unless there's a Dawn cruise I haven't seen the Spirit spends another night while the Dawn sails at 5 PM into the sunset. Do you have a full day and full evening on the Spirit that you don't on the Dawn...just to clarify

;)

Selling out can happen to ships when you wait too long to book. You will enjoy the Spirit. If there aren't any refrigerators available, the stewards do a great job of refilling the ice bucket with ice twice a day. My sodas never got warm....

You made a good choice with the Spirit. We sailed both ships with our four kids and definitely feel that the Spirit's pool was superior to the Dawn. Kids spent hours literally in Spirit's pool with its slides while we lazily lounged or sat in the stadium setting with the ability to eat and drink from the buffet and watch our kids. Dawn's kid pools were not parent friendly, with very little sitting areas and physical space around the pool area...........not relaxing at all!!! Also bought the children's bonine and had no problems with sea sickness. Good luck with your vacation.

Well, it looks like jimswims and I will be sailing together ;)

Deep breaths...

Congrats on your booking! Since you have children, 11 aft is an ideal spot! You're going to love the Spirit! She's a GREAT ship:D

Archived