nyc embarkation parking

shecara

I see there was a previous thread on this but, was hoping people would respond and they may not see my post under the other thread.

We are going on our first ever cruise out of NY on 7/19 (live in NJ). Very excited and looking forward to it.

We booked a cab for R/T at a cost of $350 (not including tip) and I am not looking to nickel and dime but, would much rather spend the additional money on the cruise.

Has anyone ever had an instance using the parking at the Port Authority lot on 55th st and 12th and not been able to get a spot? Any problems or did it cause unnecessary stress? And there is staff there to take your luggage to the ship? I called them and was told there 1,000 rooftop spots at a cost of $30.00 per day. Is this lot specifically for the Dawn?

Thank you in advance for your help.:)

I see there was a previous thread on this but, was hoping people would respond and they may not see my post under the other thread.

We are going on our first ever cruise out of NY on 7/19 (live in NJ). Very excited and looking forward to it.

We booked a cab for R/T at a cost of $350 (not including tip) and I am not looking to nickel and dime but, would much rather spend the additional money on the cruise.

Has anyone ever had an instance using the parking at the Port Authority lot on 55th st and 12th and not been able to get a spot? Any problems or did it cause unnecessary stress? And there is staff there to take your luggage to the ship? I called them and was told there 1,000 rooftop spots at a cost of $30.00 per day. Is this lot specifically for the Dawn?

Thank you in advance for your help.:)

Really easy, and since it was a CTN--more people probably parked there than usual (for my week trip I had friends p/u and d/o to save $$$).

There are two "piers for parking" and it is for the entire cruise ship pier area, but the Dawn will be the largest ship there in the summer, and I think there is only room for three or four ships. When I left the Dawn in June, we saw Oceanic Peace Boat docked next to the Dawn.

Unless you arrive really early, and not everybody from the previous cruise hasn't left yet, you should have no problem.

We've cruised from NYC many times, and never had problems parking there. I was unaware of the luggage porters available from the parking area, but apparently they are there. I do recall when we got back last summer on the Dawn, the porter took us in the elevator up to the parking area and put the bags in the car for us. Very convenient!

If the taxi is costing $350 then by all means drive yourself.

Parking is effortless and with only one other ship in port you will have no problem.

I will be taking a taxi, my fare from Clifton is only $90 so it's cheaper then the parking.

How did you get such a cheap rate? I'm in Nutley and all I could get was $150 one way.

Pat

How did you get such a cheap rate? I'm in Nutley and all I could get was $150 one way.

Pat

We have airbrook picking up 7 people in a 15 passenger van for $140 each way from Lyndhurst.

I got quotes from carmellimo.com that was $47 each way for a full size sedan

I just parked at the NYC port for the 7/5 cruise on the Dawn. Arrived around 10:45am.

Go up the ramp and to the luggage/passenger drop off area and drop off your luggage first (keep your carry-ons of course). Then, go back around and come up ramp again...this time, make a right BEFORE the luggage drop off area. It's weird, there was only one sign for parking and then nothing else...I was not sure I was going the right way, but keep going up that ramp. You will arrive at the booth and need to pay up front. I did with a credit card ($210). You then move up a little and two officers bring a dog over...they instructed me to open my trunk and that dog jumped right in (looking for drugs/bomb???). That took about 30 seconds and that was it. I moved forward and had lots of spots to pick from. I could have almost touch the ship...that's how close we were.

We just took our carry-ons, when down one flight and went through security and that was it. REALLY easy.....and, just as easy coming home.

Thank you all very much. I am thinking that driving in may not be such a bad idea. I don't think we will be able to get in that early since my husband won't be getting home from work till 9:30 and will need to shower, etc. We have arranged for the car to pick us up at 11:00 so I would be leaving at around that time if I drove as well. Do you think given the later departure, getting into NY around 12:00-12:30, would we risk having a problem getting a spot?

We have airbrook picking up 7 people in a 15 passenger van for $140 each way from Lyndhurst.

I got quotes from carmellimo.com that was $47 each way for a full size sedan

Thank you, I'll look into them.

Pat

I just parked at the NYC port for the 7/5 cruise on the Dawn. Arrived around 10:45am.

Go up the ramp and to the luggage/passenger drop off area and drop off your luggage first (keep your carry-ons of course). Then, go back around and come up ramp again...this time, make a right BEFORE the luggage drop off area. It's weird, there was only one sign for parking and then nothing else...I was not sure I was going the right way, but keep going up that ramp. You will arrive at the booth and need to pay up front. I did with a credit card ($210). You then move up a little and two officers bring a dog over...they instructed me to open my trunk and that dog jumped right in (looking for drugs/bomb???). That took about 30 seconds and that was it. I moved forward and had lots of spots to pick from. I could have almost touch the ship...that's how close we were.

We just took our carry-ons, when down one flight and went through security and that was it. REALLY easy.....and, just as easy coming home.

They are looking for explosives. Its the only way the DHS will let them park right next to the ships....

We live in NJ and have taken a couple of different forms of transportation to the pier. Driving ourselves and parking is by far the easiest. We have never had a problem finding a parking spot. This past trip in May, they had porters taking our luggage at the parking lot - although I am not certain that happens all the time - there was construction going on at the pier at that time. The best part is when you disembark, you have no problems waiting for your limo/taxi to pick you up, finding them, etc. You walk right off the ship and walk to your car!

This might sound silly but for a cruise that is Saturday to Saturday you get charged $30 a day for 8 days, right?

Nope...7 nights. If your embarkation is Saturday and your disembarkation is Saturday, you have spent 7 nights on the ship and have been parked for 7 24 hour periods.

Wahine56, We use Clifton Taxi, it's not a stretch limo but it's a nice clean sedan.

Their prices went up because in Dec. we were charged $70.

Thank you, I'll check them out also. Our next cruise leaves midweek so all the kids are at work, we'll need to make other arrangements.

Pat

Archived