If you could say something to the new CEO of Azamara

flagger

Looks like Celebrity had already incorporated many of the ideas I sent them from our string in their new program! I hope Azamara follows suit! :D

Celebrity promotes living well with new onboard program

By: Johanna JainchillJuly 24, 2009

Celebrity Cruises introduced onboard programming focused on dining, enrichment and wellness.

Branded "Celebrity Life," the programs include food and wine events, mixed-drink tastings and interactive programs hosted by the ship’s executive chef and team.

Through an alliance with Rosetta Stone, Celebrity also will offer language courses. During the sailing, passengers will be able to teach themselves or take classes. They can choose from 13 languages.

A lecture series is the fruit of Celebrity's new association with Smithsonian Journeys, the educational travel program of the Smithsonian Institution.

As part of a renewed health and wellness program, Celebrity will offer treatments, seminars and workshops. There will be seminars on stress management, lifestyle enhancement and alternative healing methods such as Chinese medicine.

Following its rollout on the Celebrity Equinox, a new ship making its debut on July 31, the Celebrity Life program will be introduced across the rest of the fleet by the end of November.

VickyN-- There was a fairly heated thread about the Celebrity Life program over at the Celebrity board. Like you, I am fairly enthusiastic about it-- but it sounds like 75% of the options involved or more require extra $$$. One of the common complaints around here is that as a premium/deluxe line, Azamara should be moving more towards all-inclusiveness, as opposed to adding additional revenue generating ideas. I am perfectly OK with the idea of paying more for luxe services, but my concern with Celebrity Life is whether or not you're going to hear about all of these things being hawked over the PA, in your mailbox, on your TV, etc. I especially HATE pushy waiters and cruise staff (and yes, spa ladies) trying to give me the hard sell.

This program would be even more challenging for AZ because the smaller ships with fewer passengers result in a) less space and b) less open wallets to defray the costs of running the programs. That said, I'd love to see some astronomy, language, and well-being classes, especially on trips with many sea days, and would be willing to pay some premium to have them.

No price is too much to pay for good, stiff drink.

Has anyone actually written to Larry about the complaints are are we just posting?

Yes, look back a couple of pages. I sent him the list through the Captain's Club as well as to Azamara.

It is post #50.

Vicky

Yes, look back a couple of pages. I sent him the list through the Captain's Club as well as to Azamara.

It is post #50.

Vicky

What makes you think your email would get though, probably gets bumped to the junk file

You would think he would get hundred of emails a day

What makes you think your email would get though, probably gets bumped to the junk file

You would think he would get hundred of emails a day

I had already sent him one regarding the issues I personally had and received a nice response from someone who answered my concerns and said she would pass on my e-mail.

And like they say; nothing ventured, nothing gained" so what the heck? :D

Thanks Vicky. I checked it out.

I did not look to begin with and that was my fault.

For Airbalancer: I have sent emails to Celebrity and Azamara execs and they have answered me back personally. Nothing went to the junk file so you are incorrect in your statement.

You are right though - they do get hundreds of emails a day.

And like they say; nothing ventured, nothing gained" so what the heck? :D

Hi VickyN !

I totally agree, and I like your attitude ! That's how I run my business. I'm never afraid to think outside the box, and approach top officers with suggestions. I saved a company I worked for, millions of dollars with just one idea. As with any idea, management can choose to accept them, or not. There is nothing to lose by sharing your ideas. Over the years, I've seen many of my suggestions come to reality on Celebrity and Azamara ships.

The bottom line ? It never hurts to offer your suggestions to decision makers. Let's hope that Azamara will review our suggestions, and give them some consideration.

Thank you for changing the Journey Itinerary for 2010. 2 days in Berlin instead of 1 is great. I just hope on your shore excursions when published that you will include an overnighter in Berlin so that we don't have to make the trip into Berlin twice. Thank You. Looking forward to June 6th 2010 on board the Journey.

Art Fenster

We are on the Quest Athens to Singapore Nov. 28. I would like to see Azamara do an affordable tour to the Taj Mahal from Mumbai instead of the one currently quoted at $3,000 dollars pp which is more than a majority of the passengers paid for the entire 24 day cruise! I have done research for a private tour leaving Mumbai by plane early the morning of Dec.14, arriving Delhi at 10am, driving to Agra, checking into Taj Hotel with view of the Taj Mahal, tour of Taj that afternoon with evening sunset view, sunrise view, then to Fort Agra or the Red Fort with return to Delhi that afternoon for evening flight to Cochin nonstop (3hours) hotel on Harbor in Cochin and return to ship the morning of the 16th in time to catch the tours for the Cochin area. Total costs including guide, 2 nights hotel and flights, $1000 pp. For many people this is a once in a life time experience but most like myself hesitate to do this on a personal basis for fear of missing the ship in Cochin. I would think that you would make money on volume alone by decreasing the costs to make it more affordable to your passengers instead of a handful who can afford the $6000 per couple for the side trip. Most of us are more interested in seeing Mumbai for one day, the Taj Mahal another and still get to the ship in time to visit Cochin than staying in 5 star luxury hotels for 3 nights on your current shore excursion.

C&Sun-Most U.S. cruise lines which call on Indian ports offer essentially the same (expensive) package to the Taj Mahal. There are many reasons for this but the health and safety of the passengers is a primary one. India is one of those places where a 5* hotel offers more than "luxury." It also usually offers safe water distilled on premises and safe-as-possible food. Also, the expensive hotels used by the cruise lines are located in very close proximity to the Taj, allowing easy, close-up viewing. This is one of those places where you get what you pay for.

C&Sun-Most U.S. cruise lines which call on Indian ports offer essentially the same (expensive) package to the Taj Mahal. There are many reasons for this but the health and safety of the passengers is a primary one. India is one of those places where a 5* hotel offers more than "luxury." It also usually offers safe water distilled on premises and safe-as-possible food. Also, the expensive hotels used by the cruise lines are located in very close proximity to the Taj, allowing easy, close-up viewing. This is one of those places where you get what you pay for.

Having traveled and cruised extensively, I understand food and water safety, however the ITC Mughal Agra is a 5 star hotel (according to its website and also Expedia) and it is only $169:) per night as well as close to the Taj.:D The 5 star Taj Malabar (according to its website as well as Expedia) is only $165:) per night in Cochin located on the harbor. One does not have to stay in $550:eek: per night Oberoi Hotels in order to have a "luxury" hotel.

No. I just sent it again, with the the note below to the person who responded to me when I wrote the week before.

Feel free to write him yourself. This certainly is not up to me.

Aloha Jessica,

I am participating in a Cruise Critic Board at this web site address;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1025013&page=9

Nine pages of comments have been posted which I summarized and

sent through your web site two weeks ago but have not gotten a response.

Could you please see that it gets forwarded to Larry Pimentel and let him

know that Azamara has a lot of customers who would love to hear a

response that I will give them or he can post to the Board.

Thank you and Aloha,

Vicky

I'm someone who sometimes has to take a day off touring and spend a port day onboard the ship. While I dislike buffets (on some ships intensely and actively avoid them), and prefer the MDRs, it just simply doesn't make sense on a ship this side to have 2 kitchens staffed and active not to mention two dining areas operating. On a high number of Azamara's itineraries, the overwhelming majority of passengers are going to be ashore most of the day and not coming back and forth between port and the ship. It simply just doesn't make sense, and to me isn't about being a "deluxe" line to do that, it's about using resources in the most efficient way to serve the majority the best way possible.

Not to mention that Azamara's buffet, along with Regent's (and to an extent Crystal) is one of the few I actually don't mind and will dine in without much complaint at all. I'm sure if you want your tray carried for you, they'd be more than happy to oblige.

Azamara prepares food per order in the mdr, but not at the buffet. It would seem this may be more cost effective at lunch for those who prefer the mdr.

Until 3 or 4 years ago all the mainline cruise lines provided free shuttles at the port. This is like price gouging. A couple of years ago at a Spanish port the shuttle cost was $5 on Carnival, two weeks later at the same port on RCI it was $10, I know I paid. It really seems offensive when this used to be included - just like baggage and food on a plane.

I agree with you, all this "elite, elite, elite" stuff is a turnoff.

Reasonable liquor prices, numero uno, is my practical suggestion. I don't mind paying for drinks, but don't want to be gouged.

HAL doesn't do any of this and they have the highest return passenger rate in the industry. You get some decorative tiles on each subsequent cruise (They are nice). However, everyone (even first timers) are invited to backstage tours including kitchen and theatre, all can go to Royal Dutch Tea and Asian Tea, and all can get a discount laundry package and pre-book the specialty restaurant. Additionally, a 20 punch cola card is currently about $21.00 (with tax) and you can bring unlimited colas and wines onboard and from ports. The corkage charge is $15.00 in the dining room (unlike Celebritys $25.00).

• 2 weeks later...

Improving Azamara;

1. Don’t pull our wine when we return from port! It is sophomoric and treats paying passengers, who are on vacation, like children.

2. If you are going to promise canapés in each cabin in the afternoon, deliver them without requiring the person to fill out an order each day and then be in the cabin when the canapés are delivered.

3. Yes!!! Provide shore excursions to restaurants or cooking schools for demonstrations or classes in local cuisine!

4. Yes!!! Provide cooking classes and demonstrations in local cuisine on board!

5. Provide greater shore excursion options to local growers or manufacturers with samplings and pairings of regional food and beverages.

6. Provide phone and internet support, separate from Celebrity, with employees who know the Azamara brand and are efficient in servicing your clients.

7. Have exquisite mattresses and bedding! Us baby-boomers need it!

Thanks!

Vicky

I agree with every point in the above post. Especially in allowing us to bring local wine or beer onboard for private consumption in our cabins!

I hope Larry monitors this board much the way FDR monitors the Oceania boards. A comment from him every now and then let's us know that we are heard.

Jacquie <------(a friend of Lyn's)

Is anyone else willing to pay to be able to take their own wine onto the ship in various ports? I'm not advocating eliminating the first 2 bottles free policy, but maybe something like $5-$10 per bottle for private consumption would be a compromise that would allow people to buy local wines and consume them at a slightly lesser price than corkage in the MDR.

Is anyone else willing to pay to be able to take their own wine onto the ship in various ports? I'm not advocating eliminating the first 2 bottles free policy, but maybe something like $5-$10 per bottle for private consumption would be a compromise that would allow people to buy local wines and consume them at a slightly lesser price than corkage in the MDR.

I would do it in a heartbeat! I am on Oceania in November (same Renaissance ships) and will look at their itineraries before Azamara always just on that one point. I do not want to be treated like a child and feel that Azamara's enforcement of this rule is ridiculous. The cruise lines may all have the rule, for legal reasons, but to pull the wine from passengers is nonsense.

I agree VickyN. I think we might be more likely to see such a change if Azamara/RCCL could be convinced its not just an attempt to lower their alcohol revenues, but that it is also important to world travelers to be able to procure and enjoy local wines.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's still early days, but does anyone have any scoop on the impact Larry Pimentel has made during his short time at Azamara? I read that he recently appointed a new VP, Sales & Marketing. As an Azamara newbie, I'm most interested in what's ahead. ;);)

Archived