Splendor or Mariner OTS (or even Sapphire Princess)

Drew B

I'm looking at last-minute prices for Mexican Riviera cruises in September. I was surprised to see that balconies on RCCL are cheaper than on Carnival. Princess is about the same as Carnival.

I've sailed Carnival but never tried RCCL or Princess, although I've wanted to. Can anybody share with me pros and cons they know about these ships or these lines, and what you may do in my place?

Thanks.

I'm looking at last-minute prices for Mexican Riviera cruises in September. I was surprised to see that balconies on RCCL are cheaper than on Carnival. Princess is about the same as Carnival.

I've sailed Carnival but never tried RCCL or Princess, although I've wanted to. Can anybody share with me pros and cons they know about these ships or these lines, and what you may do in my place?

Thanks.

If Royal is cheaper then Carnival i would give Royal a try. Been on both lines and they both are about the same when it comes to service. But we think the food is better on Carnival.

Never have been on the Mariner but the Splendor is a very nice ship.

I love Carnival, but Mariner OTS is drop-dead gorgeous, especially the dining room. I like to mix it up a bit, if you've never tried RCI you might try it once to see how you like it. The food was very good on both, I'd say the lunch buffet was nicer on RCI but the dining room dinners were about the same. Lunch in the dining room on the Mariner was especially nice, but it's hard to beat the burgers on the grill on Carnival.

Hmm. not so helpful, I guess

Have you checked NCL? They had some great prices a few weeks ago, less than the price I paid with CCL plus they were giving OBC. This was for a balcony.

I'm a big fan of traditional dining - to me, it is one of the hallmarks of a cruise vacation - so I haven't considered NCL since they don't have it. I may try them someday in the future (particularly if other lines abandon traditional dining completely), but for now, I'm ruling them out. You're right, though. The prices are better on NCL than on ANY of the other lines.

I'm just off Mariner! LOVED it! Really, you can't go wrong to give RCCI a try *especially* when there are good deals to be had! We had a port side balcony and it was fabulous for when we were arriving in the three port/tenders.

Food is good, entertainment is good, service is spectacular... I love RCCI.

Am cruising Carnival next week, the (in)famous Elation. It'll be my first Carnival cruise since 1988!

~gigi

Lucky you! Two cruises in such close proximity. Have a great time on Elation. That was the first ship I ever sailed on, and I loved it. Check back in afterwards and let us know how Carnival currently stacks up to RCCL in your estimation. Okay?

I would say go with RCCI since the price is cheaper but I am partial to the Splendor... She is absolutely beautiful ship!!!

Now saying that... I have never been on Royal Caribbean and I want to go on one of their ships soon!!!! Might as well experience all that we can while we can!!:D

Mariner is a wonderful ship to try out for your first RCCL cruise. We were on it in August last year and I would love go again! Have not been on Splendor, so cannot compare, but if the Mariner balconies are cheaper I would jump on it in a heartbeat!

Been on all three lines, on both Splendor & Sapphire. That said, I would not do RCCL again & though I prefer CCl over Princess, Sapphire is a better ship (smaller, better laid out).

Great info. Thanks. Would you mind telling me why you wouldn't do RCCL again? What bothered you may or may not be something that would bother me.

Archived