Is this all do-able in one day

BostonGal07

Questions for the masses -

Here's what we'd like to do in St. Maartin once we arrive for the day

1. Lucky Stable - 1 hr ride (9am ride)

2. Marigot - shopping & lunch to take to beach (10:30 - 12noon)

3. Beach - either Mullet Bay / Divi (12:30 - 2:30)

4. Phillipsburg - shopping (2:45 - 3:30)

5. Back to ship (3:45)

Is this realistic or simply too much to take on?

Any feedback would be fantastic.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Well, your choice of beach will have an impact on your itin. You can probably make it to Mullet from Marigot in a half hour. BUT, no way will you make it from Mullet to P-burg in just 15 minutes. If you decide on Mullet, you'll have little shopping time (if any at all).

OTOH, Divi (assuming you mean Little Bay) is closer to the shopping. Driving from Marigot to Divi may take more than a half hour, but not more than 45 minutes. So Divi is probably the better choice to ensure that you get to do all your activities.

One word of caution regarding your P-burg shopping -- parking your rental car can be a huge pain-in-the-tush. Sometimes, finding a parking space takes way too much time. It did for us in March of this year.

AG

Thanks.

I'd re-think your plans.

I would say, in general, it's often difficult to get anywhere on the island in 30 minutes.

You don't mention if you'll have a car or are relying on taxis. If taxi, you'll have to make arrangements beforehand for a pickup at the appointed time and hope that there are no delays. If by car, are you familiar with the island? Could you easily find Lucky Stables? It's in a residential/commercial/industrial center. If you decide on Divi, are you aware that there are two ways to get there, but only one is safe and legal?

Also, as mentioned, parking can be a real pain in both Marigot and (especially) Philipsburg.

With a 9am ride at Lucky, I would think they'd want you there at least 15 (if not 30) minutes early for any paperwork and allow time to select and get you settled on your horse. I, personally, would allow at least 45 minutes from the Cruise Facility to Lucky, as you'll be traveling during the morning commute time along one of the busier routes.

If you're traveling soon, there is some major road construction going on, with detours.

If you decide on Mullet Bay Beach (I think it's a lot nicer than Little Bay) you might make it into Philipsburg in 45 minutes. Divi to downtown is quick.

gary

When we were on the island last December, there was a new free parking lot in Phillipsburg alongside the salt pond East of the Courthouse with enough space for lots of cars. It is 3 blocks from Front Street. The spots closest to the Courthouse are marked NP (no parking) but the others seem to be free with no restrictions (as of Dec 2008)

picture looking west.

2862139990096246620S200x200Q85.jpg

Not to nitpick, but:

The free parking is along Walter Nisbeth (Pondfill) Road, which is Four blocks North of Front Street, and during our visit last year it was completely full by 10:00 each morning that we ventured into town.

th_PBurgMap.jpg

(click)

There is additional free parking if you continue up Soualuiga Road, past the University of St. Maarten. Even from there it's only a 10 minute or so walk.

gary

p.s. The picture linked above is looking East.

Not to nitpick, but:

The free parking is along Walter Nisbeth (Pondfill) Road, which is Four blocks North of Front Street, and during our visit last year it was completely full by 10:00 each morning that we ventured into town.

th_PBurgMap.jpg

(click)

There is additional free parking if you continue up Soualuiga Road, past the University of St. Maarten. Even from there it's only a 10 minute or so walk.

gary

p.s. The picture linked above is looking East.

Yes, East. My bad, got to proofread my posts.

We were there on a TA weekend stop, so that is what I was not sure of. Obviously weekdays, the local business people and workers use the lot. So that causes a problem.

Who gets to use the spots labeled NP, I wonder?

Is the pay lot by the courthouse still operating? $1 per hour.

Everyone - thanks for the feedback.

Don't want to miss the ship by trying to pack in too much for one day. Having a hard time narrowing it down - so much we'd want to see / do. We weren't planning on renting a car - just using the taxis.

Cheers!

Michelle

Archived