What's best way to get to a beach (or maybe 2) that's less crowded?

sunseeker09

I've been reading the threads about the tour ops, but we really don't want a many stop/see all the sights on the island type tour. We would like to optimize beach/snorkeling time. Gordon has a snorkeling tour, but it doesn't really seem to have beach time. He does a beach taxi service. It's $70 return to a beach like Long Bay (with a cooler of drinks for another $10 - like that idea!)

So that's makes me wonder... How much are taxi's on Antigua? Does that seem decent, or would it be better to just grab a taxi?

Lawrence offers a beach tour with a "sampling of beaches" but no price listed.

Is Long Bay beach a good spot for some swimming and snorkeling?

I don't think we want to do Dickenson's as it sounds a little too busy/crowded for our liking, and I read there's no snorkeling at Jolly, which is also a busier beach, correct? (no offense, as I know many people like a close the the pier beach loaded with many services, chairs, umbrellas, restaurants, bars, water toy rentals, etc... but it's not really our thing)

TIA

I've been reading the threads about the tour ops, but we really don't want a many stop/see all the sights on the island type tour. We would like to optimize beach/snorkeling time. Gordon has a snorkeling tour, but it doesn't really seem to have beach time. He does a beach taxi service. It's $70 return to a beach like Long Bay (with a cooler of drinks for another $10 - like that idea!)

So that's makes me wonder... How much are taxi's on Antigua? Does that seem decent, or would it be better to just grab a taxi?

Lawrence offers a beach tour with a "sampling of beaches" but no price listed.

Is Long Bay beach a good spot for some swimming and snorkeling?

I don't think we want to do Dickenson's as it sounds a little too busy/crowded for our liking, and I read there's no snorkeling at Jolly, which is also a busier beach, correct? (no offense, as I know many people like a close the the pier beach loaded with many services, chairs, umbrellas, restaurants, bars, water toy rentals, etc... but it's not really our thing)

TIA

Long Bay Beach is a good choice for swimming and snorkeling and it is definitely quieter than Dickenson's. Having been to both, I prefer Long Bay Beach. The snorkeling isn't the greatest but there are things to see.

Taxi Fare - not sure on this but it is further than Dickenson - My guess would be $25-30 U.S. ONE WAY. If someone knows the exact fare, please correct me.

• 1 month later...
Hi sunseeker09.

You've described exactly what I'm looking for in Antigua...Did you figure out what you're going to do? It sounds like taxis are not cheap.

Nope. We haven't made a decision yet. I like the idea of Half Moon Bay, but not the thought of staying long with no facilities. Maybe if we go to Long Bay we could make a stop there. I figure the taxi will be expensive. Looks like that will be the big expense at most of our ports. Maybe we can find another beachy couple (search out dark tans? lol) wanting to get off the beaten path a little as well. Too bad you aren't on our cruise.

Otherwise, thinking about doing the AI at Hawksbill. I just know I don't want to go to Dickensons (too busy for my liking).

Hi sunseeker09.

You've described exactly what I'm looking for in Antigua...Did you figure out what you're going to do? It sounds like taxis are not cheap.

Are there any car rental places at the pier? If so, we may rent one and go on our own.

Look here for the scoop

http://www.antigua-barbuda.org/Agtsp01.htm

• 3 weeks later...
Nope. We haven't made a decision yet. I like the idea of Half Moon Bay, but not the thought of staying long with no facilities. Maybe if we go to Long Bay we could make a stop there. I figure the taxi will be expensive. Looks like that will be the big expense at most of our ports. Maybe we can find another beachy couple (search out dark tans? lol) wanting to get off the beaten path a little as well. Too bad you aren't on our cruise.

Otherwise, thinking about doing the AI at Hawksbill. I just know I don't want to go to Dickensons (too busy for my liking).

when are you cruising? we are looking for the same thing, the cabs seem expensive though, might as well do an excursion at that rate.

• 3 months later...

We were there 2 years ago and will be back again in 2 months. There are two types of taxis in Antigua, public and private. We went to the bus terminal in downtown hopped on a bus and for about a buck each took a nice relaxing ride to the beach of our choice. On the return the first bus that came around was a private bus, so we took it. It was a lot funkier with more locals and a driver playing Bob Marley all the way back. Either way, take the bus, they're safe, fast, efficient and cheap. Kinda fun too!

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, I would like to know where the bus terminal is as well. Any suggestion on what beach is nice with chairs, umbrellas and maybe a bar???

Thanks!

I thoroughly suggest Cockleshell Beach - one of my favorite beaches anywhere. It has beach bars on either end of the beach. The further one is more rustic and features $2 beers. The first bar has plenty of beach chairs.

image_55.jpg.0ba49948e5ee5a2d462cc678b61c8d3c.jpg

image_56.jpg.c5411ab179c71ec3fe3fcacdc90490c6.jpg

I thoroughly suggest Cockleshell Beach - one of my favorite beaches anywhere. It has beach bars on either end of the beach. The further one is more rustic and features $2 beers. The first bar has plenty of beach chairs.

Where abouts is this beach in Antigua. The only Cockleshell beach that I have heard of is in St. Kitts. With 365 of them in Antigua I just may not have heard of it. Thanks!

You're right, that beach is in St. Kitts!! Doh!! And I forget the name of the beach that I went to in Antiqua that was quite good and had a restaurant/bar and beach chairs, but also was long and quiet areas as well. Sorry that I was no help.

You're right, that beach is in St. Kitts!! Doh!! And I forget the name of the beach that I went to in Antiqua that was quite good and had a restaurant/bar and beach chairs, but also was long and quiet areas as well. Sorry that I was no help.

That's ok Steve, we will be going to St. Kitts so that is a good suggestion.:D

Archived