??? about spa services (Thalassotherapy Pool, heated loungers, sauna)

Rockwife

We're sailing the Jade early next year and it'll be the newest ship we've ever sailed, so I've not had the chance to experience some of the newer spa facilities.

Could anyone describe the Thalassotherapy Pool, heated loungers, or sauna?

How is the Thalassotherapy Pool different from a hot tub?

What are the heated loungers for. . . I mean, is good for after a workout or massage or?

What is the sauna for?

I apologize if these are stupid questions, but I'm clueless in this area. Thanks in advance.

:)

I was on the Pearl a couple of months ago and LOVED the spa. The weekly pass was the best money I spent. The therapy pool is larger than a hot tub and more like a jacuzzi with the jets. It has a place where you can stand and also a place where you can lay down with the bubbles from the jets hitting you. Here's a hint. Take an extra towel to the pool and use as a pillow because the thing you lay on is metal and is not comfortable on your head. Otherwise it's terrific and very relaxing. The heated loungers are wonderful. I would use them after the therapy pool but you can do whatever you want. They are just very comfortable and relaxing. I wish I was back there now! I

I loved the spa area on the Pearl. It was very relaxing and very quiet. Nice views. On sea days, I spent a few hours there.

I am not a big fan of saunas but loved the steam room. The heated loungers were nice after a day of running around on excursions.

Have fun!

The tile loungers are the most relaxing thing ever. We did a back to back cruise on the Jade in May and basically lived in the Thermal Suite. Here are some photos from that area:

Plunge pool (a chilly 14 C)

SDC10084.jpg

Hot Tub

SDC10085.jpg

Comfy loungers

SDC10086.jpg

Thalasso Therapy Pool

SDC10087.jpg

Heated Tile Loungers

SDC10088.jpg

SDC10089.jpg

Corinna

We're sailing the Jade early next year and it'll be the newest ship we've ever sailed, so I've not had the chance to experience some of the newer spa facilities.

Could anyone describe the Thalassotherapy Pool, heated loungers, or sauna? The pool will hold maybe 25 people standing up (never more than 4 people there at a time when I was there) and has what I'd describe as lounge chairs underwater (you can see them in the pictures above) where you can recline and relax. These are in the middle section that is available to both sexes.

How is the Thalassotherapy Pool different from a hot tub? MUCH bigger with reclining seats.

What are the heated loungers for. . . I mean, is good for after a workout or massage or? You're only supposed to stay for 30 minutes. Lots of people read; others just relax. It's bliss.

What is the sauna for? Never used the sauna--but it's HOT steam with benches. And there's a plunge pool so that you can cool off afterwards if you're so inclined.

There's also a smaller hot tub and lounge chairs with TVs in the separate sections for men and women.

I apologize if these are stupid questions, but I'm clueless in this area. Thanks in advance.

:)

Enjoy!

Enjoy!

The heated loungers are great to fall asleep on, and the spa looks out from the front of the ship, so it is a lovely spot to relax.

My favourites were the two showers. One is tropical and one is colder.

Viv

Wow, thanks gals!!! I was looking around for photos and couldn't find any.

We'll be on for nine days and since I booked us an inside we'll have extra money to splurge on a spa pass. . . looks like a place where I can easily spend a great deal of time.

Thanks again and happy travels! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Loved your photos of the Spa in the Jade my wife and I have booked the Jade for Dec 81h 2009. when were these photos taken? How was the cruise? Do you have more photos of the Jade?

Al & Bonnie

Just off the Pearl...we got the spa passes. I think my husband enjoyed it more than I did. He loved the wet and dry saunas. We both enjoyed the therapy pool...it's much, much larger on the Pearl than that one in the Jade picture looked.

The hot tub, therapy pool, heated lounges and other padded lounge chairs are all in a coed area. Then there are separate female and male locker rooms. Each of those have the saunas, more lounge chairs, therapy baths, showers, etc. Be warned though...there is no private area for changing. I saw way more nakedness than I've ever seen in a spa. And they don't provide shoes of any kind. I wore socks the first couple days, but the stone ground is always wet so I went barefoot later in the week.

On the Pearl, the heated loungers don't point outside, the regular lounge chairs are where you'd sit for the view outside.

Loved your photos of the Spa in the Jade my wife and I have booked the Jade for Dec 81h 2009. when were these photos taken? How was the cruise? Do you have more photos of the Jade?

Al & Bonnie

We were on the Jade the last week of May doing the 5 night Irish Escape and the 2 night Guernsey weekender as a back to back cruise. We normally cruise DCL and are therefore a little spoiled. We really enjoyed our cruise, but spent most of the days in the spa. We had a wonderfully relaxing week. The staff all over the ship are great, the food was fantastic and the ship is plain beautiful. I thought as far as entertainment is concerned the cruises were lacking a bit, but then it is hard to live up to our expectations with our only other cruise experiences coming from DCL, whose entertainment programme is out of this world. We also found that we prefer tradional dinner seatings over Freestyle, but we are planning to cruise on NCL and hopefully on the Jade again at some point in the future. When we recently went to Southampton for a weekend, I checked if the Jade would be in port while we are down there. She was and we ended up going to Mayflower Park and watch her sail away. We were more than just a little sad that we were not on the ship.

I took quite a few photos of the artwork around the ship and the pool deck.

My wife wants to know if the Spa is Co-ed....

Some parts are and some are not.

Just off the Pearl...we got the spa passes. I think my husband enjoyed it more than I did. He loved the wet and dry saunas. We both enjoyed the therapy pool...it's much, much larger on the Pearl than that one in the Jade picture looked.

The hot tub, therapy pool, heated lounges and other padded lounge chairs are all in a coed area. Then there are separate female and male locker rooms. Each of those have the saunas, more lounge chairs, therapy baths, showers, etc. Be warned though...there is no private area for changing. I saw way more nakedness than I've ever seen in a spa. And they don't provide shoes of any kind. I wore socks the first couple days, but the stone ground is always wet so I went barefoot later in the week.

On the Pearl, the heated loungers don't point outside, the regular lounge chairs are where you'd sit for the view outside.

On the Jade only the Thalasso Therapy Pool and the heated tile loungers are in the unisex area and the tile loungers have a view. The round hot tubs, sauna, steam room, tropical rain showers, plunge pool and the padded lounge chairs are in the gender specific locker rooms on the Jade.

Corinna

This is the BEST THREAD EVER!! I've been searching for literally weeks for pictures and succinct descriptions for the things you get with the spa pass and have finally found it here! Thanks all, I really appreciate all the wonderful info. I'm DYING to try one of the newer ships' spas.. soon! :p

~Lisa

Find it rather odd that they do not supply a "private changing" area. Gesh! How hard would that have been? So unless you want to bare all to everyone...you will have to walk back to your room "wet"??? ugh!

I don't like that they don't have private changing area either but they do have showers with curtains you can step into and they weren't wet so I just went in and put a towel on the floor and changed in there. (they provide towels)

Good idea...thanks! :D

I always step into one of the bathroom stalls, close/lock the door and change in there. I'd rather be a little cramped for a moment or two to get out of my bathing suit than stand in the locker area (on the Pearl) to change.

Wow, thanks gals!!! I was looking around for photos and couldn't find any.

We'll be on for nine days and since I booked us an inside we'll have extra money to splurge on a spa pass. . . looks like a place where I can easily spend a great deal of time.

Thanks again and happy travels! :)

Hi Rockwife,

We were on the Gem in March and loved the Spa. The ship only allows about 100 passengers to buy the pass, so I advise you sign up immediately. We used it every day. I am not a someone who can nap. BUT!!! One afternoon after the thermal pool and the heated lounge I got all cozy and ready to read for a while on one of the lounges at the front of the ship and fell into a nice restful sleep.... MY HUSBAND WAS SHOCKED!!!.... I haven't napped since I was last pregnant 23 years ago!!!;)

Have a great time.... We are on the Spirit in September and back on the Gem again next March.... WE LOVE NCL.:)

Ann and Bernie

I always step into one of the bathroom stalls, close/lock the door and change in there. I'd rather be a little cramped for a moment or two to get out of my bathing suit than stand in the locker area (on the Pearl) to change.

I did the same thing. In fact, on my cruise (Pearl in May) that's what everyone did. I didn't see any nakedness in the locker area, we all used either the showers or bathroom stalls to change in. They are all basically in the same area so it's not far to go.

This thread has been fantastic!!!! Thanks so much for every detail! I want to buy a weekly pass for dh and myself next week on the Pearl. It will be his birthday present! :D

Since they only sell 100 passes, where do I go once we are on in order to make sure I can get two of those things??!!

Thanks!

Shannon

This thread has been fantastic!!!! Thanks so much for every detail! I want to buy a weekly pass for dh and myself next week on the Pearl. It will be his birthday present! :D

Since they only sell 100 passes, where do I go once we are on in order to make sure I can get two of those things??!!

Thanks!

Shannon

Go to the front desk of the spa right after you board the ship. The Freestyle Daily will tell you exactly when the spa opens for business.

• 2 weeks later...

The spa is located Deck 12 forward (deck 12 is also the pool deck) - just walk up to the reception desk and request weekly passes. They will place a sticker on your keycard indicating that you have paid for the week. When using the facilities, you will hand over your keycard (we always keep ours on a lanyard that we wear around our necks) and they will hand you a locker key and robe. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot prebook spa passes - however, another option if you have a suite would be to ask the concierge to book them on your behalf and then you just go pick them up at your convenience.

We've never had a problem getting a spa pass - we just head there as soon as we board, get our passes and then relax. It's worth the $$ and then some. :)

Archived