Travel Agent or NCL Cruise Consultant

Jassygirly

First the story:

I recently booked our first NCL cruise on the Epic for next year and did so with the help of a cruise consultant from NCL. This is the first time I have ever dealt with NCL and I was not at all impressed with the CC. I got the distinct impression that this was his first time doing cruise bookings. He seemed to not understand the different categories and how the colors corresponded to each level and most importantly, I had to tell him that the little lines between the cabins meant that the rooms were connecting. After our little lesson (and over an hour on the phone) we got close to finding some connecting rooms in the category I wanted. By this time, I guess he felt comfortable enough with me to let his manners slip and he began to occasionaly blurt out inappropriate language (curse words). All of these things I am willing to overlook but I just wanted to give a little history as to why I wasn't impressed with the CC from NCL. My thinking is, if he can't get these little, yet important, details straight, am I really going to have someone that will work for me and get the best value?

Are there TA's who specialize in NCL cruises that would help me feel better about working with them?

Thank you in advance for any help/insight you can give!

There are excellent PCC's working for NCL. Then, as the OP has shown, there are very poor ones. That's unfortunate that NCL isn't more concerned about some of their PCC's who shouldn't be.

In this case, if you want to stick with NCL to handle your booking, I'd call and ask to speak to a Supervisor and explain to them what you've posted here. I'm sure they will be interested in knowing, and will know who to assign you to.

I'm betting at that point, you'll have a top-notch PCC. I would not keep the PCC you have now, that's for sure. The service you've described is appalling.

It's up to you on whether or not you should now hire a TA to handle your booking. There are some pretty weak TA's out there too, so it'd be good if you had a friend who was happy with theirs.

When you book with a TA, you won't be allowed to be in contact with NCL regarding your reservation. You can still call them, but if the question is related to your reservation, you'll be asked to have your TA call them because that's who now owns the reservation.

I've used both. I've been very fortunate with an awesome TA, but this time I went with a PCC who I had gotten to know over the last year. She's been incredible. I booked far enough out that the prices were comparable to those of TA's.

I really like being able to call NCL directly with my questions and not have to go through my TA. Not that they couldn't handle it, but I felt I could handle it just as well in this case.

Keep us posted. Good Luck.

I've used both and have had our CC change 4x in a 7 yr span. I've had the same issue with inexperience before, too. Some were very professional, others were just ok.

But I've also had the same "lack of good info/inexperienced" more than once with a TA, also, especially with the online agencies.

When it comes right down to it, though, I prefer the savings I can get with the TAs. NCL was $400 more than the price I was able to get with an online TA and through other venues. That $$ goes a long way with our onboard account.

Also, since NCL is accessible 7 days a week, if you see a cabin you want to change to suddenly become available you can grab it right then. But if it's a Saturday night, you would possibly have to wait until Monday morning for your travel agent to come to the office, and the cabin could be gone by then. So before you book, find out when the agent will be available, or at least someone from his/her office.

Sometimes NCL offers on board credit, and sometimes the travel agency will add some more, so it's up to you. If you are perfectly content with your cabin and not prone to make switches to other categories, you might be fine with an agency.

But the travel agent still has to deal with those NCl agents! When I recently changed categories, my agent said NCL made me get a new booking number (cancel and rebook) which seemed senseless to the rest of us.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

After the responses, I have decided to not go with a travel agent unless I get a fabulous recommendation or even more fabulous deal. I like being able to pick up the phone or email directly when I want something done.

My only dilemma now is what to do about the current cruise consultant that I am working with. I really don't trust him and we just don't mesh well. I do not want to cause any riffs but I would like to try working with someone else.

Has anyone every switched on their own? Is it possible/kosher?

After the responses, I have decided to not go with a travel agent unless I get a fabulous recommendation or even more fabulous deal. I like being able to pick up the phone or email directly when I want something done.

My only dilemma now is what to do about the current cruise consultant that I am working with. I really don't trust him and we just don't mesh well. I do not want to cause any riffs but I would like to try working with someone else.

Just switched, after dealing with NCL for over 3 years, it really wasn't a big deal to PCC, she didn't act like it was anyway... I did it because NCL booked me a back to back that was the "wrong" thing to do...It's really not their fault, but coupled with what went on with the Compass Rewards program, I just thought it was time "stand for something".:D

Will I go back to NCL, probably, it was a amicable type thing.

I say do what you feel comfortable with, and with who you feel comfortable with, it makes the cruise what it is, Just funderrful!!!!!!

Absolutely if you are not happy with your PCC, by all means switch to someone else - if you choose to stay with an NCL PCC, just explain that you would feel better going with a more experienced agent. I also think you are wise not to go with a travel agent without a recommendation. I had a horrendous experience with a national brick and morter travel agency a few years back when I went on a DCL cruise. I had to call her when there was a price change (she was unaware) to get my price adjusted, I had to call her to get my cruise documents or I would have shown up at the dock with no docs, and once when she was on vacation, I needed to change something and was told that I had to wait until she returned - no one else in the office was willing to touch the reservation. Considering that I paid more than $15K for a vacation package, I would have expected better service. I had read others on the board who have TAs that really go the extra mile with them. Just goes to show, you can have good and bad in both categories. I have had adequate service from the online TAs but I love my PCC with NCL - she contacts me when things come up, works hard to try to find discounts for me, gives great advice, she always returns my call promptly and I always get a postcard or email when NCL has a sale. She has also been with NCL for about 15 years. I am now on the 3rd cruise that I booked with her.

People change PCC's all the time. Just call NCL and ask for a Supervisor. Tell them your concerns and let them guide you. Just be adamant that you do not want to work with the PCC you booked with because you just aren't comfortable with their experience.

It's not our jobs to keep NCL happy, it's their jobs to keep us happy. Just give 'em a call.

Don't call your current cruise consultant, just call the generic 800 number and you'll get the next person in the queue. Any of NCL's agents will be able to help you.

First the story:

I recently booked our first NCL cruise on the Epic for next year and did so with the help of a cruise consultant from NCL. This is the first time I have ever dealt with NCL and I was not at all impressed with the CC. I got the distinct impression that this was his first time doing cruise bookings. He seemed to not understand the different categories and how the colors corresponded to each level and most importantly, I had to tell him that the little lines between the cabins meant that the rooms were connecting. After our little lesson (and over an hour on the phone) we got close to finding some connecting rooms in the category I wanted. By this time, I guess he felt comfortable enough with me to let his manners slip and he began to occasionaly blurt out inappropriate language (curse words). All of these things I am willing to overlook but I just wanted to give a little history as to why I wasn't impressed with the CC from NCL. My thinking is, if he can't get these little, yet important, details straight, am I really going to have someone that will work for me and get the best value?

Are there TA's who specialize in NCL cruises that would help me feel better about working with them?

Thank you in advance for any help/insight you can give!

You have received good advice. I would encourage you to call and get yourself assigned to a new PCC. There are great ones out there.

But I just wanted to respond to the other part of your question: There are TA's who specialize in cruising and would be very adept at handling your NCL reservations. We can't recommend anyone in particular on the boards, but look around if that appeals to you. The advantage of getting one that specializes, other than the obvious skills, is that if they do a lot of business with NCL they will be able to give you better prices than the average TA or NCL.

It looks like you are going with booking directly with NCL - which is my plan next time. However, for anybody booking through a travel agent my hard-earned (blood, sweat and even some tears) adament advice is:

1. Make sure you use a reputable/recommended Travel Agent/Agency (my nightmare TA has a good rating with the BBB)
  2. DO NOT ALLOW THE TRAVEL AGENT TO CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD... Make sure that ONLY NCL charges your credit card.
  3. A couple of weeks before you sail ask for the "NCL Guest Invoice" which you are entitled to.
  4. Be aware that you CANNOT contact NCL for questions... and in my experience the TA qualifies inquiries with 'I'll try' or 'I don't know and can't find out definitively' or worst of all wrong and/or outdated information. VERY FRUSTRATING.

Though my booking experience for my group was horiffic NCL was stupendous... and the cruise was pure joy. Have a GREAT time!

First the story:

I recently booked our first NCL cruise on the Epic for next year and did so with the help of a cruise consultant from NCL. This is the first time I have ever dealt with NCL and I was not at all impressed with the CC.

My thought from reading this that Jassygirly may have called the general number for her first booking and got one of the general people who answer the phone and field questions, not one of the Personal Cruise Consultants (PCC) that we get assigned to after we book our first cruise. My impression is that some of these people might be less well trained than the PCC's.

With that said, I agree there is no reason to continue with a PCC you don't mesh with; it's too stressful and cruising should be fun. Follow Wink's advice; it's the aboveboard way to do it. I did it and I'm so glad I did. I realized I was not calling my PCC because I didn't want to deal with her personality. That was my clue to change.

She made suggestions like finding a room below a low traffic area, mentioned the union discount, etc. I was very pleased booking direct. If you are a cruise critic person, you may know MORE than the typical travel agent. Many of them don't like NCL anyways. When I used a traditional TA, I discovered that I did most of the research for her anyways.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond.

marelind, you are partly right in how I ended up with the Cruise Consultant I have now. I filled out the booking info online and got an email and a call from the representative that was forwarded my info. I didn't book a cruise at that time, I was just filling out the info. I really had no idea that I had actually submitted my info to someone. I was just putting info in to see pricing. The next thing I know....I was getting emails and calls from NCL. Wasn't thrilled about it but so far it worked....now I have a cruise booked. I'm excited about the cruise just unhappy with the Cruise Consultant! I guess I need to call. I'm still just hesitant on the process of doing so.

Thanks again for all of the helpful advice and insight!

Archived