Help From Someone Just Off Splendor

The day we arrive back from our Sept 20th Mexican Riviers cruise on 27th September we don't fly out of LAX until 9.30 pm. Can anyone recall if Carnival was offering a tour of Los Angeles and drop off at the airport?

We could do our own tour of the Queen Mary, and then make our way to LAX, if they will allow us to store our luggage. We will only have one suitcase each.

Anyone have any ideas for filling in the day? A walk around Long Beach would be nice too but again the suitcases.

Wish I could say "no worries", however I don't recall any excursions like that being offered and a quick check of the Carnival web site doesn't show post-cruise LA excursions. There is plenty to do in Long Beach, but that luggage is definitely a problem. Maybe an inexpensive hotel room to drop your bags, go see the sites and then freshen up before heading to the airport for the l..o..n..g flight home.

The less time spent at LAX the better....

Hi Sandydownunder

We are sailing splendor on 23 Aug, and we to are on a flight home at 9.30pm. Im guessing its the same Qantas flight as us but different day(obviously). We too are thinking of doing something similar and I am going to contact this tour company http://www.lacitytours.com/Layovers.asp

As it seems to fit the bill. I will let you know what I find out.

Cheers

Wayne

Renting a car for the day will let you make up your own tour. It's very convenient and inexpensive.

I agree. Having a rental car will allow to do whatever you want to do, solve your luggage problem and the cost of the rental will off balance your transportation costs to LAX.

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply.

Wayne, I will be interested to hear how you go with your research into a tour. Actually we are not going home. We are flying to New York on a red eye special getting in at 5.45am (we chose to do it that way.) We will stay a week in NY then go on the Carnival Triumph on a Canada/New England cruise.

Thanks saltydingo and mississauga for your input. You wouldn't want to be on the roads with me. We drive on the left. I did live in Houston for two years and drove all over but that was a long time back. I failed my Texas driver's licence the first time. I turned the wrong way into on coming traffic. The trouper was so kind. He said I'd have to wait a week and come back. I was hoping I wouldn't see him I was so embarrassed, but he came running out of the office when I pulled into the parking lot. He said, " I remember your face but I don't remember what you did" Wasn't that so sweet. I passed the second time, but he really made me drive around til he was sure I knew what I was doing. Let's just say I'm past it now. I did drive in Chicago about 5 years ago but I was forced into that. It does come back to you but when you are also trying to find your way in an unfamiliar place it is very stressful.

Thanks for your help.

Sandra

Wayne,

Can you post what you did in Long Beach when you disembarked? (pesancoman at hotmail dot com) Your cruise is coming up soon so have a wonderful time. You should get some nice hot weather.

Another option is to go to the Queen Mary Museum. The ship is moored right next to where the Splendor docks. Open from 10am-6pm. I have emailed them and they will hold the luggage in their hotel section. The person said also mention you are off the Carnival Splendor and you will get a discount. I'll have to research how to get from the QM to LAX.

We are getting to the port with PrimeTime shuttle so we could get them to take us back.

Sandra

• 1 month later...

tuffyiscruisin'

Sorry to hear the LA layover was not good. How was your cruise? I'm glad not to be on this weeks. There are two more before we set sail. Hoping the itinerary is back to normal by then and Hurricane Jimena has blown itself out.

Yogi

Good advice re luggage etc. We have decided to go to the Queen Mary for a couple of hours then take the free bus into Long Beach to shop at Ross and Walmart and then get the bus to Shoreline Village for something to eat.(late afternoon).

I have ordered Prime Time Shuttle to pick us up at the cruise terminal at 5.35 pm. I'll have to confirm it when we disembark. I'm sure they'll be wondering why any one off a cruise ship would want to be picked up that late.

tuffyiscruisin'

What time did you disembark? I was thinking to ask to be last off as the QM doesn't open until 10 am. I am presuming everyone was off by 10am.

Sandra

My daughter and I are on this cruise also. It is our first cruise. My wife and son in law won't cruise so we decided to go anyway!

We booked a later flight also just because I was not sure how long the deembarcation would take. The rental car idea is really good unless you do not want to drive in LA traffic.

You can always take the shuttle directly to the airport, check in for your flight and check your bags and then take an airport shuttle into the city. Then you will just have to clear security before your flight.

There is a lot to do in the LA area like Disney, Universal Studios and many other cultural attractions.

Hope to see you on the cruise not that we would know each other :-).

Check the webpage for the port you are coming into. I know in new orleans you could check your bags for a price, like 10 a bag or something and they would take them to the airport for you and they would already be checked and everything. I dont know that they do this at all ports its called express something or another. I didnt do it so I'm not real sure on all the details, i just know our ta told us about it.

We just left the Splendor last week. Wonderful cruise. First day out, Monday, was cooler than expected, take a light jacket or long sleeved shirt.

Carnival's book on Mexican Riviera shore excursions lists one in Long Beach, a Costal Highlights tour. Tour & transportation to LAX. Looks like it is designed for flights after 2:00, so you would still have a long wait at LAX. The ship's shore excursion price list does not include any Long Beach trips, so no idea on prices.

Archived