Ephesus-the second time around.Looking for something different.What would you do?

I still have to see the Terrace Houses (next time) but must say that the town of Kushadasi is a fun place itself to wander around. Check out the Caranserrai- that fortress like building just in front of the dock. It is now a hotel but the walled courtyard has carpet displays, and nice place to stop for a cool drink.

If you wander up hill and into the general bazaar area the shops get simpler and cheaper.Know what you want and how much you want to spend...then just relax. Its a good practice for the huge bazaars in Istanbul.

I found some excellent quality leather wallets for 18 euro, which are probably from the same factory that makes them for the mother company-Gucci.

Ok, so here's my experience in Ephesus...

We did the standard tour to ruins booked through the ship (RCCL Legend in 2007). On the bus ride back our tour guide advised us we could go back to the ship or spend time shopping in port. My 17 yr old sister and our dad went back to the ship. My step-mom had one of those cruise books where you can visit the recommended port shops and get a free t-shirt, free tote bag, etc. I told her I was happy to go along. Our tour guide advised us that in the shops it is customary for the employees to offer you food and drinks while you're shopping. He said not to be worried about saying yes or no; it's just their culture.

Needless to say... my step mom and I got prettttty tipsy from all the free drinks! We had no idea if we could get alcohol, but in the first jewelry store the gentleman helping my step mom find a nice ring offered us a drink. My step mom cautiously replied "could we maybe have a... beer?" The gentleman quickly said "of course!" then sent another employee to the back of the shop. He returned with 2 FULL beers for us!!! We went to 3 more leather shops, a clothing shop and a shoe shop where we were served beer and house wine. I remember them offering a drink in almost every store and were happy to give us beer or wine. In the clothing shop they offered us cigarettes too! lol.

My step mom ended up buying a beautiful leather/fur coat in one of the shops. It was a bit of an impulse buy, but she still loves it and wears it. We tried on millions of fur coats while sipping our wine. Most shops we were the only ones and they loved us! It was too much fun! We sort of lost track of time and ran back to the ship with 20 minutes to spare. Not bad, but it was scary at the time haha.

Anyways, I recommend doing a nice tour in Ephesus and then drinking for free back in the port! If you like that kind of thing... I know a lot of people aren't into real fur, but it was fun dressing up in all the different coats and things. I was also 21 at the time and having the time of my life.

• 1 month later...

There are some great beaches in the area:

http://www.kusadasi.biz/info/guide/beaches

Last time we were there we spent some time at Ladies' beach, which is quite close to town. Not spectacular in a caribbean/hawaii kind of way, but nice and fun...sided by tons of restaurants (cheap, pretty good, for beach food, "Full English" available everywhere for the peckish), shops, icecream, et cetera. Want to try Long Beach or Paradise Beach this August.

Kevin

• 1 year later...

We have been twice and while we loved Ephesus, decided to just wander around ourselves 2 years ago. While most of the store owners were fine, we got used to pushy, one asked us if the ship in port was the "warship we came in on":eek:. It was a little off putting although we know he was not the norm. We loved the clothing with the label 50% cotton, 50% acrylic and 50% spandex.

We will be there again this October and will probably go for a walk and then book a Massage on board.

• 4 months later...
Ekol will arrange to do whatever combination of sites you wish -- just because they don't have it listed on their website doesn't mean they won't arrange it for you.

I can add my recommendation to those of several others -- if you enjoy ruins, do not miss Didyma, Miletus, and Priene. I am going back to Ephesus for the 3rd time this fall and I am really torn between doing Ephesus and the Terrace Houses again -- which was one of the absolute highlights of my first Med cruise -- or whether to visit the 3 cities again, which was another absolute highlight last spring. They were THAT amazing. Of course, the fact that I had a private tour for one and was the only one wandering the sites about half the time may have been a factor.....:D

Can you do Didyma and Priene and Ephesus in the time allotted or would it be cutting it close?

Ekol will arrange to do whatever combination of sites you wish -- just because they don't have it listed on their website doesn't mean they won't arrange it for you.

I can add my recommendation to those of several others -- if you enjoy ruins, do not miss Didyma, Miletus, and Priene. I am going back to Ephesus for the 3rd time this fall and I am really torn between doing Ephesus and the Terrace Houses again -- which was one of the absolute highlights of my first Med cruise -- or whether to visit the 3 cities again, which was another absolute highlight last spring. They were THAT amazing. Of course, the fact that I had a private tour for one and was the only one wandering the sites about half the time may have been a factor.....:D

Can you do Didyma and Priene and Ephesus in the time allotted or would it be cutting it close?

If you have a long day (not a 5-6 hour stop, as some ships seem to have), I think you could do it.

Didyma is the farthest away (see map link), so I'd ask to go there first, then to Priene on the way back, and finish with Ephesus. (On the plus side, it is often less crowded in the afternoon since all the ship tours and most private tours head there first thing.)

http://www.petersommer.com/images/uploads/cruising-ephesus-tour-map.jpg

Archived