Flying to port with a 2 year old

babymomma

We are flying to Miami Sept. 10 for our cruise Sept. 12-17. It will be my husband, 2 year old son and I. Does any one have any idea what to pack for my son to do on the plan. I have a crayola coloring book with the markers he can only use on that paper but it has the metal ring. Will be that be a problem or will he be ok with that? It also has a clip board to hold it so he does not drop it and it came with 4 small markes and it all stores inside the clip board I like the idea and he likes to color. I just hope he can take it on the plan that will be one thing that will keep him sitting in his seat and not bother others on the plane. Any other ideas would be helpful.

Your coloring idea is perfect- great idea. Yes you can bring it on the plane. Other things I did was bring some small wrapped toys and I even wrapped some fruit snacks, gold fish crackers and stuff like that and every time he was getting bored- I gave him something new to unwrap.

The other thing I did was let my son stand on the seat until the last possible minute before take off. Then as soon as the seatbelt sign was off- I would walk up and down the aisle because a two year old can't sit for long periods of time.

I assume he will be in diapers- make sure to change him right before you board the plane because it is so awkward on the plane. Obviously if he poos then you have to change him. It is a nightmare though.

Bring an empty sippy cup through security that you can fill with water before you board, along with plenty of food and snacks. There are often delays and/or turbulence that can keep the flight attendants from being able to provide drinks and snacks.

Stickers and a portable DVD player were the favorites of my girls at that age on the plane, along with lots of zip loc bags of treats that they don't usually get - potato chips, cheese popcorn, etc.

Best,

Mia

For my 2yo I usually carry a pack of fruit gummies or mini mentos for take-offs and landings. I have a felt board with puzzle pieces as well as lots of crayons and paper. I find that chewy snacks like orange slices take up a good amount of time. Pop up books and the ones with texture also work well. I bring a carseat, which makes it easier for him to sit for long periods of time. If the flight is longer than 5hrs, I do get him up and moving.

Portable dvd players are a life saver! We got off a flight just before DD turned 2 and everyone who walked past us commented that they had no idea there was a little one on board. She did not make a sound and was happy to stay in her carseat the whole time.

Portable dvd players are a life saver! We got off a flight just before DD turned 2 and everyone who walked past us commented that they had no idea there was a little one on board. She did not make a sound and was happy to stay in her carseat the whole time.

Agree 1000% Portable DVD player and some cheese puffs and my kid is good for a couple hours.

Regarding the sippy cups, you can bring them through security filled with whatever you want. You just have to put them on a tray with the rest of your stuff to go through the scanning machines. We just came back from our cruise, and had no problem having his cup full at all times. We brought colouring books, and my laptop with Sesame Street DVD's, which keep him occupied for hours. Many of the new planes also have the seatback LCD monitors, which can help if there is a good movie.

One tip for cruising with a 2 year old - bring lots of toys to keep him/her occupied on the ship! There is not much to do in this age bracket on the ship, so make sure you have other toys to keep them busy.

Check out my review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1026459

Books, coloring supplies, magnadoodle, create a story cards, and go fish cards are what we usually bring when we fly w/our DD (just turned 3). I don't know here in the 2 yr old yr your son falls, but ours was enamored of her go fish cards when she last flew (2.5 yrs old). She couldn't play the game, but she managed to occupy herself with the cards for over 30 min. For whatever reason, the onboard magazine/catelog and safety brochure kept her busy as well.

Thank you for the ideas. We are working on counting and colors. So the go fish game would be good for him. for colors.

Keep the ideas coming will take all ideas and commits to heart and use them to best of my abilty for my son.

I am going to get some dollar store things for him

I was ready to post this same question, when I noticed this thread. Where would be a good place to look for the Color Wonder Coloring Books with markers? I think my 2 1/2year old grandson might enjoy that. I, too, would appreciate more ideas. It has been a long time since I travelled with small children, and we never travelled by air. We always brought special snacks and new toys. I am just having a hard time remembering exactly what they enjoyed at this age. Thanks.

we download videos on top my itouch and let my dd2 watch movies. dvd players, imho, you have to bring a lot of dvds. you can also get a netbook and download some games/movies on to it as well.

sticker books are good as well (coloring books crayons fall all over the place).

my dd5 gets the psp which has movies and games in it.

I was ready to post this same question, when I noticed this thread. Where would be a good place to look for the Color Wonder Coloring Books with markers? I think my 2 1/2year old grandson might enjoy that. I, too, would appreciate more ideas. It has been a long time since I travelled with small children, and we never travelled by air. We always brought special snacks and new toys. I am just having a hard time remembering exactly what they enjoyed at this age. Thanks.

I have always found these at my local Wal-Mart or Hobby store (or any store similar) usually in or around the school supply area, not usually in with the toys

I have always found these at my local Wal-Mart or Hobby store (or any store similar) usually in or around the school supply area, not usually in with the toys

Thanks, I will be by a hobby store today. Maybe Target or Kmart too?

I find them at Target in the crayon/arts & crafts/office supply section' date=' rather than with the toys. I've also seen them in the toy section of Kohl's.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Thanks so much. I will head out there tonight. The hobby shop met the fate of so many other businesses here in MI. It went out of business. :(

If you are planning on bring electronics (DVD, etc) don't forget the earphones. You are NOT ALLOWED to play them without earphones.

And practice at home with the headphone/earphones.. as most 2 year olds won't like the new experience.. it takes some getting used to.

Also, be careful what type of "toys" you bring. Little cars and toys can be thrown very easily by a little one in a tantrum and these projectiles can do some damage to those seated in front of you.

I once got popped in the side of my eye by a wayward hotwheels. I was not a happy camper.

If you are planning on bring electronics (DVD, etc) don't forget the earphones. You are NOT ALLOWED to play them without earphones. .

In my experience, I've had no problem using the DVD player without headphones (and the sound turned down of course). At 2, neither of mine would wear headphones, and now, at 4, one of mine still won't, but they still really enjoy watching their cartoons on the plane.

Best,

Mia

I got mine at walmart. If you have a meijer or kmart or target near you. you can go to those places as well. I like the clip board idea for traveling. It comes with 4 small markers and a coloring book and the clip board for 9.00 at Walmart.

I got head phones for my son to wear and we have been practicing with him. Every time we put them on him he has to listen to Thomas on my laptop. I have not been able to get to put a movie in yet. But will be doing that soon.

I got mine at walmart. If you have a meijer or kmart or target near you. you can go to those places as well. I like the clip board idea for traveling. It comes with 4 small markers and a coloring book and the clip board for 9.00 at Walmart.

I just got back from Target. They had a nice selection. Not sure I saw a clipboard one. I did see one for about $9 that had a case of some sort, but it seemed like it would be too much extra weight. I ended up getting a set with a book and markers. Then I bought an extra pad and set of markers. I do have a question. I am still not sure if the pad I bought is plain white paper, or if it has pictures to color. It does show a picture on the packaging. I has been 20 years since I had small children and I am just not familiar with this product.

In my experience' date=' I've had no problem using the DVD player without headphones (and the sound turned down of course). At 2, neither of mine would wear headphones, and now, at 4, one of mine still won't, but they still really enjoy watching their cartoons on the plane.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Please do NOT play a DVD player through the speakers, even quietly on the airplane. Children's programming is especially irritating if you're trying to sleep. As a Flight Attendant, I got a lot of complaints about this. Get your child used to the headphones before leaving!

I suggest that you not even play the DVD player over the speakers. Maybe the child wont know this is an option.

I will say that the DVD player (I bought one when my youngest turned 3) was great on the ship. The T.V. didn't have a kids' channel (Celebrity) and this way, they could watch their favorite DVD's in the cabin. They're used to having cartoons when they get ready in the morning.

We do 11 1/2 and 10 1/2 hour flights about every 6 months. I'm usually alone with my three. Stickers and small plastic toys really occupy them. I once kept my toddler son busy for ages with a bag of plastic animals. Get something new! Books, stickers, pinwheels and other simple toys are effective at this age. I used to just bring plain white paper with a bag of crayons.

For a two year old, I recommend that you practice changing him standing up. The changing tables are too small on the airplane and they wont lie down in strange places very well at this age. Use the handicapped lav on the airplane and just throw paper towels on the floor (and yourself) to keep the area clean. My cousin gave me this tip and it was a lifesaver anytime I was in public. You'll love it on the ship too. You wont have to haul back to the cabin every time he needs a change. When you leave the ship, you don't have to hunt down a big enough changing table. It really does free you up. Just practice this first!

More details here (non commercial)

http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

In my experience' date=' I've had no problem using the DVD player without headphones (and the sound turned down of course). At 2, neither of mine would wear headphones, and now, at 4, one of mine still won't, but they still really enjoy watching their cartoons on the plane.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Please do NOT play a DVD player through the speakers, even quietly on the airplane. Children's programming is especially irritating if you're trying to sleep. As a Flight Attendant, I got a lot of complaints about this. Get your child used to the headphones before leaving!

I suggest that you not even play the DVD player over the speakers. Maybe the child wont know this is an option.

I will say that the DVD player (I bought one when my youngest turned 3) was great on the ship. The T.V. didn't have a kids' channel (Celebrity) and this way, they could watch their favorite DVD's in the cabin. They're used to having cartoons when they get ready in the morning.

We do 11 1/2 and 10 1/2 hour flights about every 6 months. I'm usually alone with my three. Stickers and small plastic toys really occupy them. I once kept my toddler son busy for ages with a bag of plastic animals. Get something new! Books, stickers, pinwheels and other simple toys are effective at this age. I used to just bring plain white paper with a bag of crayons.

For a two year old, I recommend that you practice changing him standing up. The changing tables are too small on the airplane and they wont lie down in strange places very well at this age. Use the handicapped lav on the airplane and just throw paper towels on the floor (and yourself) to keep the area clean. My cousin gave me this tip and it was a lifesaver anytime I was in public. You'll love it on the ship too. You wont have to haul back to the cabin every time he needs a change. When you leave the ship, you don't have to hunt down a big enough changing table. It really does free you up. Just practice this first!

More details here (non commercial)

http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

Have a good trip!

I would recommend keeping a couple toys he/she's never seen before for the trip home. I flew w/ DD at that age and luckily packed just the right amount of "new toys" b/c I remember pulling out my life-saver-slinky for the last hour of the last leg of the last flight. She'd not seen one in a long time and it was FASCINATING! Thank goodness. It ensured the "Wow, she was such a good girl" comments from the neighbors.

Also, at one point (on a different leg) she had found that she could pound on the tray table (which I knew would annoy the person in front of her) so we got up for a diaper change. It wasn't wet, but I changed it anyway to buy some time. By the time we got back to the seat she forgot what fun she was having and I was able to redirect to something better. Whew!

I am an American living in Italy (my husband's in the Air Force) and I fly very frequently with my two children (ages 5 years and 8 months). We just returned from a 3 week vacation which included 10 flights, 2 which were trans-Atlantic!

If your child still uses a stroller and carseat, I highly recommend the Sit 'N' Stroll, which converts from a stroller to a carseat/FAA approved flight seat with the touch of a button, with your child still in it. Great for small children as you don't have to move them if they are sleeping - plus then you have a carseat if you need it in taxis, rental cars, etc. and a flight seat for the plane. It can be used for children up to 100 pounds, I believe.

I agree with other posters that the portable DVD player is a must - when my older daughter got her first one at age three, I got her to wear the headphones by buying fluffy ones shaped like penguins - I think from Target. They are also sized correctly for little ears. Don't forget a portable DVD player, like a laptop, must be removed from your carry-on and placed through the x-ray machine individually.

One great plane toy I recently discovered is gel clings. If you can get a window seat, re-usable gel clings in various designs are hours of fun for little ones. Our set is dinosaurs and I think we paid about $7 for it. Also, we have a mini magna-doodle with a little clip that is great. Markers seem to dry up for us on long flights, even if we buy them brand new.

Baby food and juices are fine to bring along through security in reasonable quantities. You don't even have to put them in a plastic bag, even if they are liquid. But you do have to take them out and put them in a bin to go through the x-ray machine. In the US, they are no longer allowed to ask you to taste baby food.

Any other questions, just ask!

Archived