Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel Question

Michele035

We are on the VOS and will be in Rome in early November. I am not sure if we will need early entrance tickets since it is off season. I have been to Rome but not for many years. I cannot remember if we just wanted to see the Sistine Chapel, do we have to go thru the entire Vatican Museum? Is there a way to just go to the Sistine? We are very limited on time in Rome for the day, and if my memory serves the Museum itself is very large and this time it really isn't on our agenda.

Is there a separete entrance to just see the Sistine?

Help appreciated!

thank you!

We spent almost 4 hours in the museums on the way to the Sistine Chapel this last May, you can get though them in about 20-30 minutes if you push it and really only want to see the chapel. Too bad you are limited in time, even if you rushed through to the chapel, how much time do you think you can you give it? The chapel itself isn't much really, its all about the art in there. We know some people that are happy with 10-15 minutes in there, I think we spent about an hour. Depending on what else you want to get to, it may be better to put off the Sistine for a future trip. Rome just has so many great things to see.....

thanks for your responses...I agree that even in the Sistine you need to probably spend about an hour....and then add on the Museum...maybe we are biting off more than we can chew...

Thansk again!

Just a small tip that hopefully helps. If you go to the official Vatican website - don't know what the address is - you can reserve a time and prepay for tickets to the museum. That way, no matter how long the line outside is, you go to the front and show your reservation paper and you get right into the museum. If you plan your route well, you can go straight to the Sistine Chapel - probably a 15 to 20 minute walk. After you see the Sistine Chapel, exit the room through the doors on the right. They'll say 'Guided Tours Only' but no one will stop you. Go through that exit and it'll take you to the front of St. Peters Basillica.

Good luck.

Archived