Trying to make this work ...

We are a family of four trying to to make it work for us ... I've been told that a cap has been placed on family of fours in one room, and that I would have to get two rooms instead.

If I go in to do 1 adult and 1 child, I have a plethora of options--however, 2 adults and 2 kids gets me nothing. Even 2 adults and 1 kid gets me no options.

I was fine about reserving two rooms but nothing is connected. So, I was playing around with the idea of reserving two rooms but not using one--unless magically I can manage to get connecting doors at some point.

Is this something frowned upon??

Thanks for your help!! My husband and I desperately need a vacation ... we have no family around!!!

We are a family of four trying to to make it work for us ... I've been told that a cap has been placed on family of fours in one room, and that I would have to get two rooms instead.

If I go in to do 1 adult and 1 child, I have a plethora of options--however, 2 adults and 2 kids gets me nothing. Even 2 adults and 1 kid gets me no options.

I was fine about reserving two rooms but nothing is connected. So, I was playing around with the idea of reserving two rooms but not using one--unless magically I can manage to get connecting doors at some point.

Is this something frowned upon??

Thanks for your help!! My husband and I desperately need a vacation ... we have no family around!!!

Book two adjoining rooms with each officially having 1 adult and 1 child. Depending on how old your kids are you may be able to leave them by themselves in their room at night. Don't worry about keys at this time. At check in time you can get keys made in whatever combo you wish.

It sounds like there are no quad or triples left, if not then yes you will have to get two rooms and depending on the ship there is a limited supply of connecting ones. Who told you they put on a cap?

If they only have doubles then the room can only sleep 2 so could be very tight trying to sleep all together in there depending on the ages of the kids.

It is possible that there are still some quad and triples that are not filled but to keep to the ship's total capacity and profitability they might have decided to fill them up as doubles only.

I'm not sure how old your kids are, but if you desperately need a cruise would you consider putting one adult and one child in separate rooms? We got two rooms side by side [not adjoining] and my daughter and I slept in one room and husband and son took the other. That really ended up being better than trying to share one small room. You can still get alone time with the spouse if the kids go off the the kids camp.

Wow!!! That was fast!!! :)

My travel agent explained to me that sometimes caps are placed on how many 3/4 rooms are booked for the 3/4 people that it can hold.

If I go in to reserve a room for one adult and one child, all room types are available--even suites.

I did call RC and they can get me two balconies (I HAVE to have a balcony--lifesaver when I was sick) but they can't guarantee connecting doors.

How soon are you trying to go? The closer to the cruise generally the cabin selection gets worse and its harder to get cabins for 3 or 4 since they do have a max pax limit on the cruise. If you are trying to do a holiday cruise that is part of the reason you are having trouble.

As others mentioned 4 in a cabin will be a tight fit.

Enjoy your cruise.

ages 3 and 5--my kids' ages

Get a balcony and the inside in front of it for the kids. At that age if they sleep in their room at home they know that if they need you they can wake you up in the next room.

Get a balcony and the inside in front of it for the kids. At that age if they sleep in their room at home they know that if they need you they can wake you up in the next room.

to me that is a little different when they just go down the hall in your house as opposed to a public corridor. I don't think I would do it unless they were connecting doors as far as leaving the kids by themselves in a room, then you could leave cracked open to hear them if they need you during the night.

I agree here. I would not put 2 kids that age in a separate room alone even if it were right across the hall.

A few years ago we did that at a hotel for the first time- our kids were 14 and 17 at the time (this was the first time they stayed in a room alone) and there was a fire in the hotel that night - we didn't take a key and they boys would not wake up. We were seconds from climbing over the balconies and breaking the sliding glass door. Finally they got up and we all got out safely. I will still put my kids in an nearby room but not young and I keep a key! Not to scare you. But if you can't do 1 kid/1 adult I'd wait for the next cruise- just try another ship/date there are a million out there.

oh no ... I wouldn't put my 3 or 5 year old alone like that, definitely would need a connecting door.

We are looking at a cruise for next month, I know last minute ... I did look into a later date but then I'd have all three kids. We are looking at a particular week due to my stepdaughter being with her mom. Same story/problem for the other week with three kids--no connecting doors guaranteed. (SD is 12 yrs. old).

I was contemplating getting a Junior Suite (1 A, 1 Child) and an interior (1 A, 1 Child), and just use the interior room for holding stuff, not necessarily for sleeping. And letting the kids 'camp out' with us. But we thought we might get dropped off at the nearest port for doing this.

oh no ... I wouldn't put my 3 or 5 year old alone like that, definitely would need a connecting door.

We are looking at a cruise for next month, I know last minute ... I did look into a later date but then I'd have all three kids. We are looking at a particular week due to my stepdaughter being with her mom. Same story/problem for the other week with three kids--no connecting doors guaranteed. (SD is 12 yrs. old).

I was contemplating getting a Junior Suite (1 A, 1 Child) and an interior (1 A, 1 Child), and just use the interior room for holding stuff, not necessarily for sleeping. And letting the kids 'camp out' with us. But we thought we might get dropped off at the nearest port for doing this.

they don't care where you actually sleep as long as you paid for the correct number of people. A JS would be much better. With kids this young you will have to book with 1 adult and child and then the other room 1 adult and one or two kids depending on who comes on the cruise.

We are a family of 5, so we have to get 2 rooms when we cruise with the kids. I sleep in one cabin, and my DH sleeps in the other. We tend to hang out in the larger room during the day though. The other room only gets used for showers and sleeping. I would suggest getting a balcony room and an interior across the hall (or close together). Then you can choose to do whatever you find easier. Sleep all in one room, or use them both. You are right, the other cabin will at least come in handy for storage.

Archived