Upgrading on day of sailing/Infinity

grummanyankee

Has anyone upgraded their accommodations on the day of sailing? Is the price the same as if you had just booked that level in the first place?
Disclaimer: I have NOT upgraded on day of sailing.

Search Cruise Critic for " Pier Coordinator " According to a number of CC posts there is someone on the pier who [assuming there are cabins available] can upgrade you for some flat fee. Again according to CC if you wait and talk with Guest Relations on-board you will have to pay the full difference between the fare you paid and the current price on your upgraded accomodations.

hope this helps

Thom

The one time I asked on boarding at Registration desk, the upgrade charge was MORE than the difference pre-cruise. I remarked on that fact and agent just said that was the price set. It 'hit or miss' with how full the ship is whether they're offering good deals. Good Luck

Search Cruise Critic for " Pier Coordinator " According to a number of CC posts there is someone on the pier who [assuming there are cabins available] can upgrade you for some flat fee. Again according to CC if you wait and talk with Guest Relations on-board you will have to pay the full difference between the fare you paid and the current price on your upgraded accomodations.

hope this helps

Thom

Interesting ... but how do you find the "Pier Coordinator"? If he/she exists?

I have asked about a pier coordinator in FLL and Miami and was told no such thing exists. What people were doing on our last cruise on Infinity in April was going to the purser's desk and inquiring about changing their cabins. While we were in line, two couples asked about upgrading and were told they had to pay the full price difference. One couple opted to pay the upsell and the other said no.

hope this helps

Thom

Thanks Thom and all of you for your information. Boy, if I lived in Seattle and was crooked, couldn't I make a bundle on the pier by pretending to be selling upgrades and taking cash! I hope it's nothing that the crooks have thought of.

We'll probably just stay in our cc cabin and enjoy the veranda. How much time does one spend in a cabin anyhow? It sure has to be better than our first barefoot cruise on Windjammer Fantom where we had bunkbeds(non-convertible) and the shower was over the toilet! We were celebrating our anniversary and I think if you take the letters "cel-bate) out of the word 'celebrate' you can guess what we were during those 7 days.

Well, there IS a pier coordinator in Barcelona. I spoke with her and after a short wait she told me there were cabins available but she didn't have pricing from the home office yet. We were told to board and wait for a phone call from Guest Relations, which of course came that night while we were at dinner. We were offered an upgrade to CC for $200/pp or the Royal Suite for a mere $7500! Since it was a 14 day cruise and the CC's are larger than balcony rooms on M class ships, we took that upgrade. The extra space was worth the $$$ to us. (The last price on the website was a difference of $600/pp). We had to spend the first night in the original room, then moved the next day. We got a lot of strange looks wheeling our bags through the hallways and into the elevator--we told everyone we hated the cruise and were getting off the ship; as it was a sea day, this generated a lot of confusion!

So sometimes it works!

Cathy

Well, there IS a pier coordinator in Barcelona. I spoke with her and after a short wait she told me there were cabins available but she didn't have pricing from the home office yet. We were told to board and wait for a phone call from Guest Relations, which of course came that night while we were at dinner. We were offered an upgrade to CC for $200/pp or the Royal Suite for a mere $7500! Since it was a 14 day cruise and the CC's are larger than balcony rooms on M class ships, we took that upgrade. The extra space was worth the $$$ to us. (The last price on the website was a difference of $600/pp). We had to spend the first night in the original room, then moved the next day. We got a lot of strange looks wheeling our bags through the hallways and into the elevator--we told everyone we hated the cruise and were getting off the ship; as it was a sea day, this generated a lot of confusion!

So sometimes it works!

Cathy

Cathy, I was taking a drink of Coke when I read the price for the Royal Suite and nearly choked! I was hoping for a Celebrity Suite, which is bigger than just CC. I'll ask but won't hold my breath. Loved the "we're leaving the ship" story! Sounds like something my husband would say.

Not to change the subject, but do you own a Yankee? I always wanted to fly one . Very sporty, fun plane!:)

We own a Grumman Traveler AA5. Our first plane was a Yankee. It was very nice but became too small for us. This one is a 4 place with the clear canopy that retracts. DH has been a pilot for about 43 years.

On both the Infinity and the Summit, we saw the PC (left-hand corner of terminal before you register - and got upgraded from RS to Penthouse both times for around $1000 - total. Not bad when it would have been $6000 if we boarded first.

Archived