Wine purchase in Athens before boarding?

livvysgram

Is it possible to purchase wine in the Athens airport? We arrive in Athens at about 7 am, and the ship doesn't sail until 6pm.

What will Azamara do with us in the time? Hopefully we will be able to make our wine purchases somewhere before boarding.

I don't know about purchasing wine at the Athens airport, but since you have so much time, I am sure that you will be able to find a place in Piraeus. Or with all the time you have, drop your bags at the terminal and walk or taxi to the metro stop and go back to Athens to sightsee and buy wine.

Is it possible to purchase wine in the Athens airport? We arrive in Athens at about 7 am, and the ship doesn't sail until 6pm.

What will Azamara do with us in the time? Hopefully we will be able to make our wine purchases somewhere before boarding.

We don't have as much time as you but I tried a google search for wine at Athens airport and found nothing.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks a bunch. We may hire a private mini-tour since we have so much time, and just have the driver stop if we see a liquor store. I really would like to buy some authentic Ouzo while in Greece too!

Have had some very good Greek wine. Years ago, with many hours between flights, we stumbled upon a Greek winefest. Pay your entrance fee, get a small glass, and you could get samples at dozens of stalls.

Unfortunately, all of them were retsina--which, to me, resembles tar and kerosene. Still, we had a good time.

Unless you have a taste for retsina, make sure you get the other.

I should have been a little more clear. We aren't looking for Greek wine, just wine in general to hand carry on board. It was so much simpler in the "old days" when you could just carry your liquor on the aircraft. But since 9/11, we have to follow the rules to keep it safe for all of us.

When we were there on a port day in '05, I'm pretty sure we bought wine in a store in the port terminal, just before the bag screening area as you head back to the ship. Last year our cruise ended there, so I didn't take note of the store, but this is something that you might be able to verify on the Greece forum in the Med Ports of Call section.

Hi Livvysgram:

I concurr with Susan - there is a liquor store at the terminal - mind, you it's a big terminal, so I don't know if there will be one where the Quest docks, but if all else fails you can find something there. We bought some Ouzo at that store a couple of years ago!!

Talk soon,

MC

There's a good duty free shop that has both wines and spirits right in the terminal before you enter the ship. We made several trips before our 24 day cruise to Singapore last November so we did not "violate" the 2 bottles per cabin rule. One of the crew even carried a package of wine on board for a guest who had a slight handicap. Talk about service!

Archived