First time Trip Report - VALOR - 5th - 12th

Bontongrl

Thanks so much for letting me steal the martini, lol. If you post a link to photobucket, I'd love to look at the pics. Thanks again.

Steal away and enjoy !!

very fun review!

Thanks realtrip !

Thanks again for the great review!!

Your welcome cbressler :)

Just a quick Q - what kind of underwater housing did your DF/DH use?

Instead of Bontongrl you should have chosen 1HOTMomma!!!;)

Hiya tatay !!

Thank you so much ;)

DH has a Canon Powershot SD750 and he bought a Canon WP-DC14 water housing for it off the internet. It wasn't cheap,, $180, but I think over time it will be well worth it. He took some great underwater shots and even videos.

Cozumel !!!

Day6Cozumelcopy.jpg

We were now on our 6th day of the cruise, and it was quickly coming to a close,

<sniff sniff> This would be our last port day.

We woke up to find ourselves already docked in Cozumel. We had not made any set plans or excursions for this day.

By now, we had learned that its hard to burn the candle at both ends,,,, lol,, staying up late on the ship each night and then getting up early for each day, we needed a lil more sleep, so, today we were going to wing it, and just grab a cab to a beach somewhere and relax and snorkle.

Last year we had gone to Playa del Carmen for a week long vacation, and on one of those days, we had taken the ferry from Playa to Cozumel for a day trip. We had spent the entire time on the frontage street, doing some shopping, having some drinks and food, and generally wandering around, but hadn't gone to any of the beaches or really saw anything of the island.

If anyone is considering a trip to Playa del Carmen, here's the link to my trip report from our vacation last year. We had a great time there too !

http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/43654-first-time-trip-report-playa-rpdc.html

The weather this day was the most perfect of all the days on the cruise. It was gorgeous,, and the water was the prettiest colors of anywhere we had been all week.

I love the water in this area of the Caribbean. It really does look just like the postcards and travel brochures show it to be. You just wouldn't believe that, until you see it for yourself. lol

IMG_1233.jpg

We quickly dressed, packed up our snorkel gear and off we went.

A sister ship, the Conquest was also pulling in to dock at the same pier.

conquest.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

Just off the dock is the prettiest area full of shops, and gardens and restaurants and bars.. So, if you are looking to shop, or just hang out at a fun bar, this is the place to be.

IMG_3819.jpg

I had to take a picture of this store,,,,,, There's just something strange about a store with the name "Drugs and Deli" lmao

IMG_3820.jpg

Hi Bontongrl,

Which pier did the Valor go to? The one in "town" called Punta Langosta or Puerto Maya (the Carnival pier)?

Hi fofita01,

I believe it was the Carnival Pier. I know it wasn't the one closest to town. It had its own shopping area and bar and restaurants and the Conquest was docked next to us. :)

Hi fofita01,

I believe it was the Carnival Pier. I know it wasn't the one closest to town. It had its own shopping area and bar and restaurants and the Conquest was docked next to us. :)

Thanks! Coincidentally someone asked in the main board about the Cozumel Pier, and when I compared your pictures with those of Host Mach, it is indeed Puerta Maya (the Carnival Pier). I hope we dock here as we plan on going to Paradise Beach when we go on the Valor in September since it's closer. But I have mixed feelings as I also wish to go into town and docking at Punta Langosta or San Miguel would save on the taxi rides.... Oh well!

Anyhow, I'm enjoying your review or as you called it "daily diary." I cant wait to read the rest of Cozumel and the last day at sea!

Of course, there are lots of people just off the dock, vying for business to their areas, so we talked to a few of them, and got some ideas, and decided to go to

the Dzul Ha Beach Club. It was about 10 minutes down the road,, so we hopped in a taxi ($12 for the 4 of us) and were there in a few minutes.

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

This was such a pretty lil Beach Club, but its for snorkeling and swimming and not beaching. In fact, there IS no beach here. It's all rocky, so if you go here, bring some swim shoes,,,, or walk gingerly. lol They DO have sand, but its up by the lounge chairs, not at the water. lol

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

They have all the equipment you need for snorkeling, masks, snorkle tubes, flippers so you don't need your own. And lockers , for $2, to store your stuff if you don't want to leave it at your chair,

They have a bar and a restaurant and lounge chair service. The drinks were great, the food was yummy,,, ( we had pina coladas and potato skins, yum ) and the service was Excellent !!

IMG_3860.jpg

My wife and I really enjoyed all of your pic and all of the information that went with it thank you sooo much. If you don't mind me asking Debbie can you tell what sight you used to post your pics. You are like a pro and I really want to do something simalar when we are on the Dream this Chistmas.

My wife and I really enjoyed all of your pic and all of the information that went with it thank you sooo much. If you don't mind me asking Debbie can you tell what sight you used to post your pics. You are like a pro and I really want to do something simalar when we are on the Dream this Chistmas.

Hi oceanblue33,,,,

Glad you are enjoying it all. It does help me to relive a vacation when I can go back and read a photolog,,, :)

No pro here for sure,,, I've only written 2 reports like this, and one on another board, and I used http://photobucket.com/ for both of them.

You should definately do one too after your Dream Cruise and I look foward to reading it and seeing all the pictures !! :D

You are such a great writer. I just finished your playa review and it makes me want to go there. However, not sure I could climb down into that cave and get in the freezing water in the DARK. You guys seem to have a lot of fun together and I look forward to reading your next review. Do you have another trip booked yet?

Cozumel !!!

Day6Cozumelcopy.jpg

We were now on our 6th day of the cruise, and it was quickly coming to a close,

<sniff sniff> This would be our last port day.

We woke up to find ourselves already docked in Cozumel. We had not made any set plans or excursions for this day.

By now, we had learned that its hard to burn the candle at both ends,,,, lol,, staying up late on the ship each night and then getting up early for each day, we needed a lil more sleep, so, today we were going to wing it, and just grab a cab to a beach somewhere and relax and snorkle.

Last year we had gone to Playa del Carmen for a week long vacation, and on one of those days, we had taken the ferry from Playa to Cozumel for a day trip. We had spent the entire time on the frontage street, doing some shopping, having some drinks and food, and generally wandering around, but hadn't gone to any of the beaches or really saw anything of the island.

If anyone is considering a trip to Playa del Carmen, here's the link to my trip report from our vacation last year. We had a great time there too !

http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/43654-first-time-trip-report-playa-rpdc.html

The weather this day was the most perfect of all the days on the cruise. It was gorgeous,, and the water was the prettiest colors of anywhere we had been all week.

I love the water in this area of the Caribbean. It really does look just like the postcards and travel brochures show it to be. You just wouldn't believe that, until you see it for yourself. lol

IMG_1233.jpg

We quickly dressed, packed up our snorkel gear and off we went.

A sister ship, the Conquest was also pulling in to dock at the same pier.

conquest.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

Just off the dock is the prettiest area full of shops, and gardens and restaurants and bars.. So, if you are looking to shop, or just hang out at a fun bar, this is the place to be.

IMG_3819.jpg

I had to take a picture of this store,,,,,, There's just something strange about a store with the name "Drugs and Deli" lmao

IMG_3820.jpg

I have a picture of this area as my desktop background. They did a wonderful job of rebuilding this area after Wilma. I don't remember if it was this pier, but, one of them had shops that you walked through and didn't make it seem so long back to the ship. We stopped on the way back to our ship at 3 Amigos and had a "RITA". We couldn't figure out what was taking so long, when I looked up and here comes this guy with 2 drinks on top of his head. We had been out all day and wouldn't you know it, my battery in my camera decided to die and I couldn't get my hands on my spare fast enough. My DH had his camera and was able to get one picture. When I have my laptop on at work and one of the salesman comes to ask me something and see that background, he can't believe I can sit there all day and look at that.

You are such a great writer. I just finished your playa review and it makes me want to go there. However, not sure I could climb down into that cave and get in the freezing water in the DARK. You guys seem to have a lot of fun together and I look forward to reading your next review. Do you have another trip booked yet?

Thank you Gypsyrose,,, what a nice thing to say,,,,,:)

We really loved Playa del Carmen, and would go back in a heartbeat !!

That's a great LAND trip lol

Oh yes, you COULD climb down into that cave for sure. It was so hot when were were there in August, and after zip lining through that area, we needed something cold and those cenotes are the perfect thing in that heat. :D

No, I don't have another trip booked anytime soon <crying>

I have a picture of this area as my desktop background. They did a wonderful job of rebuilding this area after Wilma. I don't remember if it was this pier, but, one of them had shops that you walked through and didn't make it seem so long back to the ship. We stopped on the way back to our ship at 3 Amigos and had a "RITA". We couldn't figure out what was taking so long, when I looked up and here comes this guy with 2 drinks on top of his head. We had been out all day and wouldn't you know it, my battery in my camera decided to die and I couldn't get my hands on my spare fast enough. My DH had his camera and was able to get one picture. When I have my laptop on at work and one of the salesman comes to ask me something and see that background, he can't believe I can sit there all day and look at that.

Lovharvey,

Now, I want to see that picture,,,, lol Can you post it ?

I loved the pier area. Since I had never been there before, I didn't realize they had just rebuilt last year. They did a great job on it,,, the stores are great, the landscaping is beautiful,,, I just wish we'd spent a little more time there. !!

We did a lot of snorkeling here, even though we weren't at a reef. A reef must have been a little further out than where we were, because a lot of boats,, (and I'm thinking these were excursion boats from the ships) were anchoring just out from where we were and letting their passengers snorkle.

So, we had picked a good area !!

Here's some of the snorkeling pictures.

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1155-1.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

WOW,,,, I bet that one scared ya, didn't it ? lol

I figured I'd get a picture from a fish's point of view , lmao

Try it sometime,,, just turn your camera around while its in the water and take a picture of yourself,,,,, It makes for an different kind of picture, lol

cozumel7.jpg

cozumel9.jpg

A few more snorkeling pictures,,,,,,

cozumel11.jpg

cozumel10.jpg

cozumel5.jpg

Right next to the restaurant, they had massages available on the beach.

Now, I love a good massage,,,,, I even love a bad massage :D and I'd never had one on the beach before, soooooo,,, I decided this was the perfect time. The cost was $30 for 30 minutes,, but the masseuse whispered to me she would give me an extra 10 minutes for free. I jumped on that and headed right over,,,,

IMG_3837-1.jpg

I like a firm massage, and for some reason, if its good, I will drift off to a zoned out state,, ie,, asleep. lol She was very good, and under the shade with the breeze blowing through,, and listening to the ocean, off I went.

How much better can it be than that ?

She was so sweet, and she didn't want to wake me ,,, so she came over to DH afterwards to tell him I was asleep. He had to come wake me up,,, She got a good tip for that lol

I highly recommend a beach massage if you ever get a chance to have one.

After another pina colada to pep me up again, back into the ocean for some more snorkeling.

cozumel14.jpg

126_3259.jpg

Can it get any better than this ?

IMG_3844.jpg

The guys really enjoyed the snorkeling a lot..... they spent most of their time in the water,,,,,,had to snap a quick picture of them one of the few times they were OUT of the water lol

IMG_3848.jpg

and this is how I spent the rest of the day,,,, lol

cozumel17.jpg

If you don't know how to float,, or you just can't do so very well, the ocean is the perfect place to learn how. There's something about salt water than makes you so much more bouyant than in fresh water. I don't think you would sink even if you wanted to.. lol I spent a lot of time floating..

We love the swing bars they have at a lot of the bars down there,,,,, always have to get a picture on a swing !!

IMG_3855.jpg

126_3265.jpg

At last, it was time to leave and head back to the ship,,,,, <sigh>

A quick taxi ride and we were back in the pier area in no time. We spent the last hour doing a little shopping, and, of course, taking some pictures. lol

I hadn't seen it before it was demolished by the hurricane a few years ago, but I was very impressed with the area.

IMG_3870-1.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

126_3267.jpg

DF doesn't look too happy in that hat, does he ? lol

126_3268-1.jpg

I guess hats are more of a girl thang,,,,,, lol

I loved this tree,,,,,,,,!!!

IMG_3883.jpg

This is one of my favorite pictures ,,,,,

IMG_3879.jpg

I've never ridden a zonkey before,, so I had to hop on lol

IMG_3880.jpg

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

The line was pretty long to get back aboard the ship. We stood in line at least 45 minutes just to reboard. I guess everyone waited until the last minute so it took a while. At least we were in the shade between the Conquest and the Valor.

IMG_3904.jpg

Looking up between the sister ships

IMG_3906.jpg

We finally made it onto the ship, and headed to the room to relax, have a drink on the balcony and get ready for our last "elegant" night

Wow one things for sure you folks had a great time and thats what a holiday is all about fun and good times with good friends ,i was wondering what kind if camera did u use to take the underwater pics of

Was it a disposable or something better and if it wasnt a disposible what brand was it and cost ,We had been on the valor in 2007 was a awsome trip loved it very much ,last year we were on the Liberity doing western exotic itinerary and this year were on the eastern and cant wait ,but hey i know it will be a blast.Did you happen to get to Senor Frogs? Well thanks for the review and best of luck in the future for another great cruise

Well, I really have enjoyed reading this review. Love all the photos. After reading this, I want to talk to hubby about booking this cruise. We've been to all the locations except Grand Cayman, and because we like to go to new places, and we love lots of days at sea, we hadn't really given serious thought to this itinerary. But clearly, Roatan has built up and has much more available for the cruise passengers than when we went, and your review is the first one that has made me want to try the cave tubing in Belize (We did Shark/Ray Alley when we were there)....Cozumel is one of our favorite spots on earth so I love for it to be on ANY cruise itinerary (it is also a wonderful LAND vacation -- we spent a week there a few years ago in one of the all-inclusive resorts. We say it was like a land-locked cruise! *L*). We both want to go to Grand Cayman, but had been trying to find an itinerary that looked good but included places we HAVEN'T been. Now, after reading this, I don't really care about seeing all new places....the places we have been to seem to have changed enough to still be a new experience!

Thanks so much!!

Oh, I almost forgot: I completely agree with you about the color of the water around Cozumel....it is a turquoise blue color that is unlike anything I've ever seen anywhere...almost other-worldly. It takes my breath away every time I see it....

Wow one things for sure you folks had a great time and thats what a holiday is all about fun and good times with good friends ,i was wondering what kind if camera did u use to take the underwater pics of

Was it a disposable or something better and if it wasnt a disposible what brand was it and cost ,We had been on the valor in 2007 was a awsome trip loved it very much ,last year we were on the Liberity doing western exotic itinerary and this year were on the eastern and cant wait ,but hey i know it will be a blast.Did you happen to get to Senor Frogs? Well thanks for the review and best of luck in the future for another great cruise

Hiya wildcrazyatver,,,,,

Yes, we had a GREAT time,, !!

DH has a Canon SD750. When we booked this vacation, he immediately got online searching for an underwater housing that's made specifically for this camera. It cost $180, not cheap, but we figure over the years we'll certainly get our money's worth. It seems like we already did on this trip alone, lol. He also took videos with it,,, which I might put up if I get a chance, they came out really cool too !!

DF also had an underwater camera, but it was a smaller megapixel camera so the pictures didn't come out quite as clear,,,,

No, we never made it to Senor Frog's,,, I wish we'd had the time, It's always fun there :D

Archived