Are Amalfi and Capri worth Private Tours?

Tesla

If you're docked in Naples, I'd highly recommend a private tour for Amalfi. With ship's tours you can't really get into Positano for example (the streets are too small for the big busses), and a DIY from Naples leaves you in a stressful situation if the traffic acts up, which is does more days than not. A private guide can take you on back roads if necessary, and allow you to really experience the beauty of the region between Sorrento and Ravello.

If you're docked in Naples, I'd highly recommend a private tour for Amalfi. With ship's tours you can't really get into Positano for example (the streets are too small for the big busses), and a DIY from Naples leaves you in a stressful situation if the traffic acts up, which is does more days than not. A private guide can take you on back roads if necessary, and allow you to really experience the beauty of the region between Sorrento and Ravello.

Burbunny,

Thanks for the helpful advice do you think seeing Capri and the Blue Grotto will be feasible in one day?

Burbunny,

Thanks for the helpful advice do you think seeing Capri and the Blue Grotto will be feasible in one day?

Easily and comfortably, yes... but not in connection with Amalfi as well. Really needs to be one or the other. Capri can be done in connection with Pompeii, but Amalfi Coast is just too far south with too congested roads.

Easily and comfortably, yes... but not in connection with Amalfi as well. Really needs to be one or the other. Capri can be done in connection with Pompeii, but Amalfi Coast is just too far south with too congested roads.

I've been to Capri and Pompeii before on separate trips so now I'm just trying to work out the logistics from the Amalfi Coast.

Definitely I would recommend a private tour! We used Sorrento Silver Star (put the three words together without spaces and add dot com) on July 8, 2009 and had a great guide/driver named Catello who took us to a terrific restaurant in Scala (near Ravello). A taxi can negotiate the narrow mountainous streets of these small towns unlike a tour bus and you'll see the Amalfi Coast up close and personal. Catello arranged a private guide who was/is a history professor (Salvatore) for our Pompeii tour who was excellent. We docked in Naples around 8AM and went to Pompeii first which was Catello's suggestion to get the best tour guides and take advantages of a smaller crowd and cooler temperatures.

Definitely I would recommend a private tour! We used Sorrento Silver Star (put the three words together without spaces and add dot com) on July 8, 2009 and had a great guide/driver named Catello who took us to a terrific restaurant in Scala (near Ravello). A taxi can negotiate the narrow mountainous streets of these small towns unlike a tour bus and you'll see the Amalfi Coast up close and personal. Catello arranged a private guide who was/is a history professor (Salvatore) for our Pompeii tour who was excellent. We docked in Naples around 8AM and went to Pompeii first which was Catello's suggestion to get the best tour guides and take advantages of a smaller crowd and cooler temperatures.

Thank you for the input

I have been to the Amalfi Coast (Positano, Amalfi and Ravello), Pompeii and Capri with private tours while staying in Sorrento for four days in September 2008. While we all loved Pompeii, our favorite excursion was our private tour to Capri though Capritime. We were very fortunate to have Rebecca Brooks the owner of the company as our guide for a private boat tour around the island, visit to the Blue Grotto, fabulous lunch just above the Blue Grotto (separate cost) and walking tour around Capri and AnaCapri. She lives on the island and will customize the tour to meet your interests. Here is her contact information:

http://www.capritime.com/

Capri.jpg.021eb543f55cb89c9e26c062db2a6892.jpg

Boat.jpg.d5761b8d28052f65464c13340c0ff3b7.jpg

Archived