Puerto Maya renovations?

taffy12

We docked at Puerto Maya a few weeks ago and were a bit disoriented when we got off the ship, not sure why everything looked so different than it did two years ago when we were last there. We at first thought we'd simply docked at another pier until we got outside the shopping area and saw the familiar entrance to the "tourist village," as I call it. Back inside later, we spotted what appears to be the old Senor Frogs 1/2 down the water a bit, and that whole area looked as though it was completely closed off. What happened? Will that area reopen or did they just decide to completely shift and redo the pier area?

You certainly did not dock at Puerta Maya two years ago (you may have tendered I suppose), as it was destroyed by a hurricane in October 2005, and had only reopened last October. Yes, the area was completely redone, is what I understand.

Then what is it that's directly to the left of Puerto Maya, as you're looking at land from the water? I'm not talking all the way down at the town area...I'm talking RIGHT THERE, where Senor Frogs 1/2 used to be. We definitely did dock there in 2006 and 2007. Both times they had workers out actively working on rebuilding the pier, but we DID dock.

Then what is it that's directly to the left of Puerto Maya, as you're looking at land from the water? I'm not talking all the way down at the town area...I'm talking RIGHT THERE, where Senor Frogs 1/2 used to be. We definitely did dock there in 2006 and 2007. Both times they had workers out actively working on rebuilding the pier, but we DID dock.

That is the International Pier. :)

How many different docks are there in Cozumel? We went there for the first time last week on the Inspiration and we docked where you walked down a long cement walk way and there was a Three Amigos Bar & Cafe and a Fat Tuesdays just as you walked inside the gate - it was a very nice area with lots of shops and when you walked around one of the corners all these taxis were lined up. I'm not sure what they called the dock - but I do know that my daughter said that was not where they docked at in March 2008 when she went on a RC cruise.

Haha I'm so confused now! I thought there were three: the pier that dumps you into town, the one I've spoken about above, and one where you have to walk through a long building full of duty free stuff to get from the pier to the shopping area... I thought the one with the building was the international pier! We used that one in 2004 and if it's the same one we've used recently, it looked entirely different!!!

Haha I'm so confused now! I thought there were three: the pier that dumps you into town, the one I've spoken about above, and one where you have to walk through a long building full of duty free stuff to get from the pier to the shopping area... I thought the one with the building was the international pier! We used that one in 2004 and if it's the same one we've used recently, it looked entirely different!!!

The one with the long building is the one that got destroyed. It has reopened after being re-built - but now just a loooong pier and no more long building to shop back through.

Archived