Will My Carry-on Fit on the Train?

cindycat

I've read many things in several threads about the carry-on bags for the train portions of the cruise/tour (Coral, starting 14 August). Here's my specific question: Our usual airline carry-ons, which we put under-seat, not in the overhead, are 17" X 14" X 6". The 6" is the flat bottom, which is rigid. Will that fit under the seat on the trains?

Thanks.

I assume you are asking about the Alaskan Railway on a Princess land tour. If that is correct, don't worry. Princess has their own rail cars that are domed. All your luggage will be put below by the Princess crew. All you will need is the usual sight seeing paraphernalia with you such as camera, etc. They will have an attendant in the car that will sell you drinks and serve them at your seat.

If you have never been to Alaska, get ready to see some extraordinary nature views. The flowers are always simply beautiful that have been cultivated. Hopefully you will get to see some of the wildlife that lives there.

Have a great trip.

I concur with the above: your luggage will be on the train with you, but underneath.

As far as what you can actually take with you while on the train, it is limited because there is very limited storage space in the passenger compartment. Any carry-on bag will have to fit beneath your feat or beside you. Seats are arranged as benches facing each other over a table (think diner). There is not much space for anything extra. A smallish backpack or handbag is probably all you'll have room for, and all you'll need. Really, all you need is a camera, perhaps binoculars, maybe some reading material (though you'll probably be looking at the beautiful view most of the time) and such like that.

Hope that helps.

... 17" X 14" X 6". Will that fit under the seat on the trains?
I'm thinking that it won't. The Princess Cruisetour Answer Book says 17" x 14" x 4". Close, but no cigar. A small tote or backpack is about all that will fit under the seat on the train.

It will fit fine. I had a backpack with me that was definitly more than four inches wide at the bottom when filled with everything I needed to put into it that morning (especially since you put your luggage out for collection the night before) and it fit just fine. I was worried as well that it wouldn't fit as I took their warnings into account. I was amazed at the size of some of the bags people brought onto the train, but they all seemed to fit. My mother's carryon was about the size of yours and both of ours fit under the seat with plenty of room to spare.

It just occurred to me that the underseat storage space might vary depending on whether you're on the Princess train or the Alaskan Railroad train. Both are in service from Whittier, and you board the one for your destination. We were on the Alaskan Railroad train, and I seem to recall storage under the seat seeming a little tight. We were also right near the food service area, and that could have made a difference, as well. All tables might not be identical. Just a few additional thoughts.

It just occurred to me that the underseat storage space might vary depending on whether you're on the Princess train or the Alaskan Railroad train. Both are in service from Whittier, and you board the one for your destination. We were on the Alaskan Railroad train, and I seem to recall storage under the seat seeming a little tight. We were also right near the food service area, and that could have made a difference, as well. All tables might not be identical. Just a few additional thoughts.

Good thought. We were on the Princess train. I believe the luggage was actually trucked ahead separately since it was waiting in our room when we got to the lodge. So I guess I can say that if the OP is on a Princess train car her carryon should fit under the seat just fine.

I've read many things in several threads about the carry-on bags for the train portions of the cruise/tour (Coral, starting 14 August). Here's my specific question: Our usual airline carry-ons, which we put under-seat, not in the overhead, are 17" X 14" X 6". The 6" is the flat bottom, which is rigid. Will that fit under the seat on the trains?

Thanks.

You may end up with the flat part sticking out into the area for your feet, assuming you can massage the contents of the bag into a slightly smaller profile.

If I recall rightly we used a backpack (crushable) and maybe a bag like yours (sits on top of the rollaround airline sized luggage, which was checked). We kept all meds and cameras with us on the train.

Archived