SA Cabins are OK?

Kini12

We were surfing a couple of itineraries on Expedia, and saw that there were some 2As available (our probable choice), no 1As showing, and yet there were also some SVs, which I had assumed would have gone fairly early.

Is there a disadvantage to the SVs? Please advise.

The 1A and 2A cabins are identical in size and amenities, the only difference being location. The SV cabins face either forward or aft and are the same size as the 1A/2A staterooms. The SV's may have larger verandahs and cost more.

I think that sums it up, hope that was helpful.

As we have enjoyed the aft end cabins on Summit, we were wondering about any drawbacks on the SV cabins on the Azamara ships.

We figured that they would have been spoken for already, so it's either a matter of the additional cost, or some other problem like soot or dopey pax upstairs.

Advice, anyone?

We love aft cabins -- had two of them on the Oceana. We originally booked an aft cabin on the Journey for our Iceland cruise in June even though they sell for more than a regular veranda cabin, but switched to the same size cabin on deck 6 as the price went down 40%. The aft stayed at the same higher price and when we visited some friends in one of the corner suites on deck 7, we were most happy that we did not book the aft cabin. When the ship was going at a high speed, the aft cabins were vibrating so badly that I thought my drink which was on the cocktail table would end up on the floor. We loved the Journey and had a wonderful time. We even booked another cruise on Azamara for next year.

Sheila

I wouldn't book a forward SV cabin, but have been tempted by the Deck 7 and 8 ones. But on a port-intensive itinerary I wouldn't spend the extra money. And, given how much the back of the dining room on Deck 5 vibrates, I would also avoid Deck 6. I'm a big lover of the aft cabins on RCI's Vision and Radiance class ships, but on Quest and Journey I don't think they're worth the premium price unless you're planning on spending tons of time out there. Even then I wouldn't pay a big premium - on our Best of Italy cruise they were asking $3699pp until the bitter end, while the 2A guarantee was $1799pp:eek:.

We were surfing a couple of itineraries on Expedia, and saw that there were some 2As available (our probable choice), no 1As showing, and yet there were also some SVs, which I had assumed would have gone fairly early.

Is there a disadvantage to the SVs? Please advise.

I think the main disadvantage is the price. We were in forward SV7001 on the 30 June Baltic Journey cruise, directly under the Bridge. Vibration and potential soot aft has been addressed. Fore there is no soot issue, but we had one fairly rough night with some bouncing [no secret that mid-ship has the least up and down motion]. Views were especially good coming into port, as we had essentially the same view as the Captain. We ended up there from a 1A GTY, so given that we had not paid any premium we were very happy. Looking at Oceania's deck plans it looks like they market the fore and aft cabins [that AZ has as premium SVs] as B1s on Deck 6, and as A2s on Decks 7 & 8, so Oceania is NOT asking a premium for those cabins. While I agree that the floor of the SV verandas is larger, due to the sloping solid superstructure, the useable veranda floor space is about the same as any other cabin. Note also that the wall is solid, so that the view if you are sitting within the cabin is restricted to straight out [this did not bother me in the least, but might bother some].

Archived