Coco Palms Hotel

gammasip

When were in Kauai 5 years ago, there was talk that the old Coco Palms hotel (where Elvis fimed "Blue Hawaii) was bought and going to be rebuilt. Does anyone know anything about this? Is the name the same?

Do you have any links to this hotel?

Thanks!

We were there April, 2008 and it is still there, although much worse for the wear. The story we got at the time was that the company that bought it several years ago decided not to invest the money in redoing it and had put in back on the market, thru a "discreet" broker so that the world in general wouldn't know it was up for sale.

Even in the disrepair we saw it, it still had so much charm and personality. I really hope it is saved and redone.

We were there in May, 2009. If you take a tour through hawaiimovietour.com they will take you onto the grounds. They are supposidly the only company allowed in. They said they hoped it would be rebuilt. It had the feeling of a ghost town to me.

We were there in May, 2009. If you take a tour through hawaiimovietour.com they will take you onto the grounds. They are supposidly the only company allowed in. They said they hoped it would be rebuilt. It had the feeling of a ghost town to me.

It kind of is a ghost town. Many spirits there as that was originally the battle grounds when the king attempted to take Kauai. Many warriors lost their lives there. There are several grave locations on the grounds.

Very recently, the entire grove in the back was mowed so it is looking better. A very interesting place to visit. As you said, that movie tour company is the only way to get on the grounds.

We were just on Kauai, and the Coco Palms is - let's face it - creepy. It's falling apart; all the faux Hawaiiana geegaws in its architecture are rotting and falling to the ground. It looks like a CGI set from that After Man series on the History channel. As you drive by it (you can't miss it) you can look in some of the windows of some of the rooms and see elements of the nifty go-go 60s lamps etc.

If the exterior is any indication it's rotting away.

I suppose if one is an Elvis fan or stayed there years ago the tour might be interesting (I did see the torchlighting ceremony there a long time ago), but other than glancing at it as we drove by I had little inclination to go there. As far as restoration goes, they've been talking about it for years, just got another 3-year extension from the county, and basically that's about it.

Archived