which cavetubing company?

stunned

Which cavetubing company gives you the best experience? Major Tom's, or cave tubing dot com? They both come with excellent reviews so I'm not sure which to book with. I wrote to both of them and got quick responses that were very impressive, so I'm in the air on which to book.:confused:

Judy:)

Hey Judy,

Did you come up with anything on this! I too am looking at cavetubing.com because they are $15pp cheaper than Major Toms. We have 4 adults and that adds up. Also what about payment in the event the port is cancelled? Is payment required up front?

Any info would be helpful...we leave on 8/2 Carnival Legend.

Cayce

I too am looking at cavetubing.com because they are $15pp cheaper than Major Toms.

;

I was suprised by this so I just looked up prices and both companies are $45 per adult & $25 for children. I think either company will give you a great tour but we did enjoy Major Tom's crew and felt very safe with them...

I do encourage you to pre-order the lunch because when they start handing them out and they smell so good you will wish you had one... the chicken & rice is very good + you get a bottle of pop all for $6.00

I went with cave tubing dot com last year and they were wonderful. We did not get a lunch but they did stop and if anyone wanted to get a snack it was available. The trip was such a good time and the guides very knowledgable. They got us to the caves early and we were the first ones to go through. It was the best tour on our cruise last year. Yohny and his crew treat you with the best of care. They even gave us info of the area on the way to the caves. You should go with them. I am going back to Belize in September and am thinking of going with them again. It was that good. Have fun what ever you choose and may you have a great cruise.:)

So from all the reviews and everything on here that I have read it is just a coin toss as to which company to go with. They both come very well recommended. Decisions ;) one of the fun things about planning a cruise.:cool:

Thanks,

Judy:)

Let me start by saying that the cruise companies will try to discourage you from planning excursions on your own for various reasons. If the ship is delayed arriving at the port, you will not be able to go on the excursion and you will not be guaranteed a refund. You aren't guaranteed to get back to the ship on time and the ship will sail away without you. It's dangerous outside the terminal. They will tell you they work with the reputable excursion operators and that you aren't guaranteed a pleasant experience and a fair price if you plan on your own.

Rubbish! We had a blast with Cave-Tubing.com! When we booked the trip, we were sent specific instructions via an email response to meet them just outside the terminal at a specific exit and that they would be waiting there with a sign with our name on it. They encouraged us to try to get on the first tender out if possible to allow more time in the caves. They also said that even if we couldn't, not to worry, they would be waiting for us no matter what. We did get on an early tender, number 2, but wouldn't you know it, our ship was delayed by 1 1/2 hours getting into Belize because the Belizean pilot which had to meet our ship overslept. We began to worry that when we finally did get off the tender in Belize, no one would be there and we would have to scramble to find another excursion there in the port. We were also a bit dubious about exiting the terminal based on the information we were getting from the cruise line, but the staff of Cave-Tubing.com were right there waiting with smiling faces and organization which put us instantly at ease.

As promised by Cave-Tubing.com, we boarded a nice, air-conditioned bus and waited for the other, smart cruisers who had booked this trip to arrive. We were given ice-cold, bottled water while we listened to music. Once everyone was on board, introductions were made. Among them, there was Keith, Miles, and Junior. As we travelled through Belize City, we were given insight into the city, it's people, and it's culture. It was interesting, and at times, very funny. The staff have a fantastic sense of humor and made the 45 minute trip from Belize City to the caves informative and fun. We were given the rules and instructions we would need for the ATV ride and for the cave tubing. When our responses to their instructions started to wane, Keith announced he needed to get our attention. And get our attention he did! He called for "Cashew Music" and had the staff break out the bottle of Cashew Wine, a local treat. All of those on board who desired to sample it and who were of legal drinking age could. It was quite a surprise and provided some very funny moments.

Once we got to the ATV site, a lovely palapa, we had a short bathroom break and it was onto the bikes. They were very nice machines and the staff of Cave-Tubing.com made sure multiple times that we all understood how to operate the vehicles and how to navigate the trails and water safely. They said we would get dirty and that the ride would provide some great "Kodak" moments. That was an understatement! We had such a great time and the staff handled our cameras for us to make sure we got those priceless moments in photographs. They ran through the jungle and along the trails making sure we were safe, helping us if we got stuck, and snapping hilarious photos along the way. This is the hardest working group of men you will find anywhere.

Next up. we carried our headlamps, inner tubes, and life jackets on the short walk through the Belizean jungle to the river. Our guide showed up the poisonwood tree (more dangerous than poison ivy or oak), the gumbo limbo tree (which grows near the poisonwood tree and is the antidote), and pineapple plants. It was almost like a botany lesson. We heard a wild animal sound and questioned him if it was the spider monkeys we had heard so much about. He replied "No...that would be a baboon!"

Upon reaching the river, our guides had us strap on our life jackets and loaded us into our inner tubes. They had us link arms and feet to form a chain. The water was cold, but refreshing. And then the adventure was on. We entered the first dark cave not knowing what to expect. We turned our headlamps on and we were awestruck. They pointed out stalagtites and stalagmites that resembled sculptures of a woman holding a baby and an angel, among others. They pointed out bats, which quite honestly were a little freaky. Along the river, the guide would shout "Butts Up!" I will tell you now, if you plan this excursion....do yourself a favor and listen to them, haha! It was truly a memorable experience, one my family has continually mentioned in the days following our cruise.

After the tubing, we went back to the palapa to allow everyone to dry off, change clothes, purchase an inexpensive, traditional, delicious Belizean lunch or drinks and snacks. I would highly recommend ordering a "Panty Ripper" drink - Delicious! Don't forget to pick up a "Butts Up" t-shirt. It's the perfect souvenir to remember the trip and a conversation starter when you get back home!

As promised, we were back to the port a full hour before the last tender left for the ship. The most amazing thing about this excursion. We never paid a single dime before the bus ride back to the port. Even when we made the reservation, it was a simple verbal agreement. Cave-Tubing.com has a policy that they want to ensure that their customer's are 100% satisfied before they pay. I know that you will be as satisfied as we were.

All I can say is Keith and his crew were marvelous. They were polite, humorous, informative and professional. They worked non-stop to ensure that everyone had a fantastic experience. When they said, "we don't have problems, we find solutions", they mean it. If you have any concern, tell them and they will find a way to put you at ease. We can't thank you enough and we will never forget you!

Sincerely,

The Comer Family (Bob, Colleen, Mark and Michael) and Julianne and Nick

Thanks very much to the Comer family for this detailed account of this excursion.

We are scheduled on the Triumph in January 2010 and really want to go cave tubing. Since Carnival no longer offers cave tubing, we needed some guidance on which tour provider to use. We now will book with Yhoney and his group with confidence.

How about the zipline/cave tubing at jaguar paw resort? Has anyone used them? They sound good on the website--the combo price is right ($70)and includes lunch, but I'm hesitant to book something sight unseen, so would appreciate any feedback.

We are using Major Tom next week for a zip-line cave tubing combo. We will let you know how it was when we return.

I will eagerly await your review as we are thinking about doing the cave tubing and zip lining combo on our next cruise.

There was 12 of us that booked with Major Tom. Are group we were split up and didn't even get to be near each other. So we were disappointed with that. I do understand that they only take 8 at a time, for safety reasons, but they could have had us go by each other. We couldn't take pictures/talk to each other. They other group loved their guide (Charlie Chan). Our guide was horrible, never explained anything or show us any pics or faces in the rock. He even yelled at us to stay still when we were adjusting ourselves in the tube. Our group never said a word , asked questions or anything. Us and the others that were placed with us never got any interaction. He did not get any tip from anyone in our group. The other group we were with loved their guide and tipped him well. So all in all it has to do with the guide. But next time I will try another company.

Overall we were disappointed with this excursion. Myself, wife and 2 boys (12 and 14) went with Major Tom in July 2009. The guides themselves were very entertaining and informative and I felt comfortable and safe with them. The excursion was just boring. You float for an hour or more down a slow, shallow river. It was just like a lazy river at a water park (except the water was cold). Major Tom's guides did let us jump off of a small (10') cliff and swing on a rope into the water, which most groups did not do. The caves were unique, but not very interesting. The guides occasionally pointed out a unusually shaped rock that looked like an animal. Considering the length of the bus ride (1 hour each way), the hike through the jungle (30-45 min) quite a bit of time waiting around, the box lunch on the bus and over an hour floating with your feet in someone's armpits, it was not that great of an excursion...to me.

I plan on booking directly with the Jaguar Paw resort for cave tubing in December. Being delivered from the bus directly to the river, instead of to a parking lot requiring a 45 minute trek thru the jungle to get to the river, sounds good to me.

My travel agent gives them an enthusiastic thumbs up.

I plan on booking directly with the Jaguar Paw resort for cave tubing in December. Being delivered from the bus directly to the river, instead of to a parking lot requiring a 45 minute trek thru the jungle to get to the river, sounds good to me.

My travel agent gives them an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Oddly, the Jaguar Paw website says this: "From (the hotel landing), you will cross the river and begin your informative nature hike on trails through the jungle for thirty minutes to one hour, depending upon the length of the excursion you choose, until finally, you will reach the entrance to one of the many cave tunnels..."

Sounds like a 45-minute trek to the caves regardless, no?

Oddly' date=' the Jaguar Paw website says this: "From (the hotel landing), you will cross the river and begin your informative nature hike on trails through the jungle for thirty minutes to one hour, depending upon the length of the excursion you choose, until finally, you will reach the entrance to one of the many cave tunnels..."

Sounds like a 45-minute trek to the caves regardless, no?[/quote']

Booking through Jaguar Paw shaves 15-20 mins off the hike, but there's no real way to avoid all of it (unless you have mobility issues- then there have been reports of having guides tow you up the river in your tube before you float back down). Basically, if you book through anyone else but Jaguar Paw, you've got to park at a public lot that is farther from the caves than the resort itself- but there is still a hike once you reach the resort because there is no car/truck access to the cave/river system. You must reach this area by foot.

Archived