How Well Do They Clean the Rooms Before Each Embarkation?

tjeanty

I spend every day locked in a room with 25 third graders, most of whom have not yet developed great hygiene, and at any point may be carrying some bug (bless their hearts). The most janitors usually do each day is to sweep the floor and clean the boards. I do not have the time in my life to wipe down every inch of my classroom every day. Canned sprays are out of the question because they set off my asthma, and I am not convinced they provide anything besides peace of mind. I learned a long time ago if I keep my hands clean and away from my face, everything will be fine. I haven't been sick in three years, and I am positive it is not because I have killed all the germs in my vicinity.

You can scrub down your personal space all you want, but the minute you go anywhere the germs are there. I know my dd, the 1st grade teacher, will sanitize things when there's stuff going around, but I don't think she does on a regular basis. Even at that, I think it's just the tables, maybe chairs. The kids touch everything, though. I don't think we ever can escape germs outside of living in a bubble.

Thanks for the tips and to answer your final question...a terminally ill child in the family, thanks for inquiring ;)

May I suggest more natural cleaning supplies? Those nasty chemical cocktails are bad for everyone, particularly someone with a compromised immune system.

Vinegar is excellent for cleaning, deodorizing and killing germs and won't hurt humans or animals.

As we were sitting in our room on the Ryndam last November, awaiting our departure, our steward came in and asked if he could start cleaning the room. We were sitting on the couch, and told him to go ahead. He immediately opened the balcony doors, to "air it out" and began remaking the bed. The only thing he changed on the bed were the sheets and pillowcases. No change of mattress pads, pillows, blanket, or coverings. To be honest, I was a bit surprised. I would think these things should and would be changed between guests. Since we were still in the room when he finished with the bed, he said he would return later and left. We left the room shortly thereafter, and did not see him again.

My first summer job was doing houskeeping at a hotel when I was 15. We were trained only to change the sheets and pillow cases. The blankets were only changed if visably soiled or damaged. Also, I remember the sinks and tubs only being sprayed and wiped. No water was run. It was pretty much a good wipe down. When the room was occupied, we cleaned around the guests' things.

Archived