Emeralds / jewelry in Cartagena

skiiergirl

Any recommendations for a jewelry store in Cartagena? We have our favorites in our usual Caribbean spots but have only been to Cartagena once. Saw several lovely pieces but don't remember the store names, etc.

Has anyone bought any emeralds, etc. in Cartagena? If so, were you (and are you still) pleased with the piece, the value, etc.?

Thanks so much.

(name of store and location/shopping area, etc.)

Any recommendations for a jewelry store in Cartagena? .......

You will get 2-3 recommendations in the daily letter provided on the ship, e.g. COMPASS. One of those recommendations usually is Lee Miles' Emerald store called Mister Emerald. We did not buy any. Found them too expensive..

I'm hoping to be able to purchase an emerald (my birth stone) pendant when we visit in October. I'd love to be able to get an idea of price before going. Anyone have any ideas? I've been stashing money away for it but not sure exactly how much I'll need.

Here is the link to Mister Emerald click here.

I'm hoping to be able to purchase an emerald (my birth stone) pendant when we visit in October. I'd love to be able to get an idea of price before going. Anyone have any ideas? I've been stashing money away for it but not sure exactly how much I'll need.

Here is the link to Mister Emerald click here.

Prices started at $300 and went up from there. Ask Lee by email.

You will get 2-3 recommendations in the daily letter provided on the ship, e.g. COMPASS. One of those recommendations usually is Lee Miles' Emerald store called Mister Emerald. We did not buy any. Found them too expensive..

We used to stick strictly to ship recommended store but have learned that if you shop carefully then it is ok to go to non-ship recommended stores! Since the stores pay for the "recommendation' we really don't stick with them anymore. If they have something we like that is great but if we like a piece at a non-recommended store we will buy it.

I bought an Emerald pendant necklace from Lee Miles when our ship stopped in Cartegena and have been very pleased with it. I've not had it actually appraised but have had several jewelers comment on the piece not knowing I purchased it in Columbia, and all have been very complimentary. I had done some research on the internet about what I should be looking for in a good emerald and what price I should be expecting and contacted Lee with what I was looking for and he e-mailed me some photos of pendants that might fit what I was looking for. It helped a great deal to know ahead of time to narrow down the time it took in his store to make my decision and no I did not end up actually purchasing one he had sent photos of but helped me know what I did and did not want to look closely at. We didn't want to spend a great deal of our limited time in Cartegena in jewelry stores but it was the one thing I wanted to purchase on our cruise and I do not usually purchase higher priced jewelry while cruising.

I also purchased some coffee bean pendants from Lee's store. He has lesser quality ones (I think these were 18 ct gold) which worked fine for my young granddaughter and a bit higher quality (24 ct gold) which I purchased one for my MIL, and the woman looking after our house and cat while we were gone, along with one for myself:D I don't remember the exact prices but they were about $20 and $30. The pendant is in the shape of a coffee bean with an emerald chip. Lee gives a further discount for jewlery purchased in his store if pay in cash or by check so of coarse I took a check with me:D

Lee was an absolute delight to meet and talk to in person and all the woman we spoke with while in the store were also very nice and helpful. It is not at all a high preasure sales store to visit. There are several other jewelry stores within the same building that he is in.

Thanks grandmato4

Someone above suggested emailing Lee Miles so I think I will do that. He has a coupon on his website so I have printed this off and will take it with me, just in case. The coffee bean pendants sounds as though they are a good price.

I'm not sure whether the ship tour we are doing goes to his shopping mail. If it does, I want to be prepared.

.........I also purchased some coffee bean pendants from Lee's store. ........I don't remember the exact prices but they were about $20 and $30. The pendant is in the shape of a coffee bean with an emerald chip. ......

I am glad DW and her friends missed those :D

I am glad DW and her friends missed those :D

I would have missed the coffee bean pendants too, had I not read about them here on cc and knew to ask about them :) Fortunately after I'd picked out my emerald pendant and one of the girls was busy putting it on the gold chain I'd also purchased my DH was occupied talking to Lee about Cartegena while I was busy continuing to look to see if there was anything else I wanted.:D Only thing I regret is not taking the time to look at some emerald earrings too. At least now I have a good reason to book another Panama Canal cruise that stops in Cartegena.:):)

Archived