Past Alaskan cruisers...a question....

emilygrace

I know that weather is VERY unpredictable, and the key is to wear layers, but can someone who has cruised Alaska this past September tell me what their weather was like? We're booked for 9/11/05, and I'm just wondering what the general weather trend is at that time of year. Did you have much (if any) rain? I'm just one of those control freaks who likes to be prepared but also tries to keep my baggage to a minimum....such a challange!

Thanks in advance for your responses!

We cruised the week of 9/12 and the weather was incredibly beautiful! BUT, everyone told us that it was unusually warm and that we had been really lucky, so I don't think this past September is a good judge of what the weather is usually like. The beauty of the area will make up for the cold though! The area is amazing!

Cruised on Radiance last year, September 6-13. Stayed in Vancouver three days prior with just beautiful weather...light jackets over tshirts was the maximum needed even at night. The day we sailed, we had a light rain but not cold weather. First day inside passage was very drizzly..sweatshirts and slickers felt good. The rest of the time, layers were all we needed...even at the glacier. The main thing is to stay dry. I would not bring down coats and such just layers..long and short sleeve tshirts, a sweatshirt or two, and a slicker (with hood) to keep you dry. We had good weather except in Juneau so we were happy. The only place gloves and earmuffs were even needed was at the glacier or I would assume if you did a dogsled excursion.

We cruised on September 17 & the weather was mostly overcast and/or rainy, sometimes coming down in buckets. I had an anorak, a waterproof shell with fleece lining, and I wore it on all of our excursions. I wore my gloves alot and my hat, but then I live in Southern California, so I get cold pretty quickly. I never found myself overheating!

Thanks for your info! I'm one of those who is always too warm, so I'm not worried about myself, but the other people in our party. I just bought a lightweight polar fleece jacket (just basic jacket, no lining, no hood, but very light in weight) so that will probably be just fine for me. I will also bring a lightweight waterproof jacket with hood, just in case it's drizzley or rainy. I just LOVE cold weather....and rain too!

We were on the Serenade from 19/26 September last, the final cruise of the season to Alaska. Have to say that if we were going again, it would be earlier.

Because of high seas, we did not get to see the Hubbard Glacier, which was a major disappointment, and my helicopter ride in Juneau was cancelled due to high winds. Seems there were some weather problems the previous week as well. One big advantage of going late is that the shops in Skagway etc have huge sell out sales and its very easy to pick up jewelry. watches, etc at a knock down price.

Don't get me wrong, the cruise was great, but the weather wasn't. We had a balcony and the only day we could use it was on the run back to Vancouver near Vancouver Island when the sun actually came out. Living in Ireland we are used to rain, but I have never seen rainfall like the day we were in Juneau.

We've spent quite a bit of time in AK and have relatives who live in Junueu. As you pointed out the key is layers. The types of layers are also important.

For just about anyone traveling in Spring or Fall to the inside passage you'll want to:

1) Be DRY! Always carry a waterproof shell with hood. If you are not dry, you will not be happy. Get something that packs itself into a small pouch. Be certain the sleeves are long enough, and that it covers your fannny completely. Don't worry about making a fashion statement with your shell! (Keep something waterproof that you can sit on handy as well.)

2) Keep a warm torso! Polar fleece - one long sleeve if it is a colder day, one vest for relatively warmer days. They are light-weight and dry quickly. Use one of those "miracle" plastic packing bags to get them down in size if need be.

3) Have warm, dry feet! Hiking boots - Thick soles, water resistent or water proof. (don't wear them through the airport though unless you plan to take them off at every security check point!). Be certain to get them generously enough sized to accommodate thick socks. Wear them (with the socks) about the house to break them in before you leave.

4) Have warm hands! - Light weight gloves are always good to have stuffed in your pockets. I just stocked up at Target this weekend - they had placed their 2-pair for $1.99 one-size-fits-all knit gloves on clearance for $1.48.

Packing warmer hand protection and/or a stocking hat is not a bad idea, but some sort of winter gloves is important.

If you are usually from a warmer climate, you may want to invest in lightweight thermo undergarments. (for those of us up in the Frozen Tundra, we 1.already have them, but 2.probably won't need them in the relatively mild temperatures of a September AK). You may not need them, but I cannot judge your tolerance -- hey, it was -5 when I woke up this am!

Determine what shore excursions you are interested in - the train trip in Skagway requires no special dress, but if you plan to fly on to one of the glaicers for a hike or are going to sit through a lumberjack show in the Ketchickan drizzle, you'll want to be prepared.

Cruise to Alaska twice in September and October. Ketchiken always raining, they get rain 280 days a year. One day in, I think Sitka it was so hot we need air conditioning and of course they did not have it. Every time and every city the weather was different. I remember as warm as it was in Sitka it was cold when near a glasier.

We were on the Serenade from 19/26 September last, the final cruise of the season to Alaska. Have to say that if we were going again, it would be earlier.

Because of high seas, we did not get to see the Hubbard Glacier, which was a major disappointment, and my helicopter ride in Juneau was cancelled due to high winds. Seems there were some weather problems the previous week as well. One big advantage of going late is that the shops in Skagway etc have huge sell out sales and its very easy to pick up jewelry. watches, etc at a knock down price.

Don't get me wrong, the cruise was great, but the weather wasn't. We had a balcony and the only day we could use it was on the run back to Vancouver near Vancouver Island when the sun actually came out. Living in Ireland we are used to rain, but I have never seen rainfall like the day we were in Juneau.

We too were on this cruise and yes the weather was a little rough and rainy... But I did use our balcony quite a bit (hey I paid for it...lol). The weather can change very quickly so be prepared... A rain coat is a MUST as is a small umbrella. In Skagway, I actually had to buy a toboggin to keep my ears warm (and I was wearing long underwear) but other that that it wasn't that bad... The weather was worse at sea than on land or at least it seemed to me...

Archived