What in your opinion, is the best thing to do in Grand Cayman?

rene194215

I am looking for ideas for my up coming cruise that is stopping in Grand Cayman. The last time I was there we did Hell, Trurtle Farm and Stingrays and it was outstanding!! What else is fun to do? What is your favorite thing to go here?

Thanks! Renee

We loved the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with Nativways. Rum Point is beautiful. And the luch was great. My DH had the Fish and chips, I never eat fish but I had some of his and it was delicious. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Vote for Stingray City.

Georgetown, Grand Cayman

We walked around the pier shops awaiting our privately arranged Sting Ray City / Coral Gardens tour with Native Way at noon. There were 13 folks on our tour. We boarded a small van which took us to a boat awaiting us at the Yacht Club. Our boat could comfortably hold 50 people. It took about 20 minutes to motor out to the Coral Gardens reef where we donned mask, snorkel, fins and optional snorkel vests (which made my wife very happy). The snorkel vests provide buoyancy and can be inflated to a level that is comfortable for you. There were no lack of pretty fish here. We then motored 5 minutes out to Sting Ray City, a sandbar in the ocean where the water is only 4-feet deep. Even though the place was crowded, we had a great time. Stingrays with 2-to-4 foot wingspans were in abundance and very tame. Boat captains were catching them and passing them around for everyone to view and hold. Plenty of squid was available for feeding. We were happy to have been on a private tour ($35 each, plus tip). Some double-decker boats were absolutely jam-packed with passengers. Squeals pierced the air every time a stingray glided a wing against someone's leg. We spent about 1.5 hours between the two locations. Plenty of time. It was a very memorable and fun experience. Highly recommended! Upon our return we were driven back into town where we spent some more time shopping. Bottom line: Grand Cayman is gorgeous! Stingray City will be the highlight of your visit.

Here are more of our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

• 3 weeks later...

We've always enjoyed just lounging on Seven Mile Beach. Beautiful sand and gorgeous water though looks can be deceiving. The first time we went there we couldn't understand why everyone seemed to be hugging the shore. The reason is that after a fairly modest slope, the shelf drops rather sharply into deeper water.

As for must sees, I would recommend visiting Cathy Church's studio. Cathy is a professional diver and photographer who takes some absolutely stunning underwater photos. If you are tired of t-shirts and trinkets, pick up one of her prints and you will nab yourself a unique keepsake to remind you of the great time you had in the Caymans. Her shop is located in the Sunset House Hotel which is just south of Georgetown. It's actually close enough to walk back to the tender pier assuming you are in reasonably good physical condition.

Cathy also offers underwater photography classes as well as dive tours but I haven't used them and cannot speak to those services personally.

Archived