Corinth or Temple of Poseidon?

Vitamin Sea

I am considering tours from Athens that include the Acropolis and either ancient Corinth or the Temple of Poseidon. Can you give me your impressions of these two sites? Thanks.

Hi,

Can't comment on Corinth, haven't been there, but we were on a sunset tour to The Temple of Poseidon this past October 6th. We toured with http://www.athenbytaxi.com . Paul is the owner, however we had his son Jimmy as our driver. I would highly recommend them.

We were picked up at our hotel @ 3pm, and arrived at Cape Sounion & the Temple around 5-5:30pm. The ride our to the temple was along the coast and quite scenic. We drove through some affluent resort towns along the way. Jimmy was more than willing to stop for photo opportunities whenever we requested.

I should note that niether Paul or Jimmy are licensed as tour guides. I must say however, Jimmy was very informative along our drive out to temple, as well as providing a detailed explaination of the legend behind the temple itself.

Since we arrived at the temple a little early for the sunset, Jimmy suggested we go to the cafe just below the temple and have an expresso, which we did. Jimmy was nice enough to pick up the tab.

As it got closer to sunset a number of buses arrived, and the temple area became somewhat crowded. The temple and its' location were wonderful. Fortunately for us, it was a lovely clear evening. The sun reflecting on the temple columns was beautiful. As the sun became lower in the sky, it seemed to change the color of the temple columns to an almost bright redish brown.

After the sun had set, we began our ride back to Athens. About 1/2 hr into our ride, we stopped at a waterfront cafe that Jimmy suggested, and had a very enjoyable dinner of Greek specialties. We arrived back at our hotel around 10:30-11:00pm.

We were very glad we took the tour & had Jimmy as our driver.

Important note: If you book a tour to the Temple of Poseidon, check the weather forecast two days before your tour. If it is going to rain, I would cancel the tour.

If you are interested in going to the temple, I have a number of photos of both our drive out to, as well as at the temple itself. If you think it might be helpful to see them, let me know, as I would be happy to share them with you.

Have a wonderful time, whichever tour you decide to take.

Stay well,

Anthony

I can't comment on the Temple of Poseidon but have been to Corinth as a tour of Athens and Corinth before boarding a chartered cruise ship which then followed one of the missionary journeys of St. Paul across Turkey - thus the stop in Corinth.

Frankly, there's not a lot in Corinth. There is a small museum and then the site itself. I'm glad I saw it especially as a place so prominent in Paul's letters. But, if you're not Christian or a religious person you might not find it all that interesting.

Below are a few pictures I took at Corinth. Click on the thumbnail for bigger views.

137_137.jpg.958aba29aa38c2b4a16d8dcdfee89c19.jpg

149_149.jpg.c6a400ff6fce0ed996ec3812f4e20752.jpg

154_154.jpg.2418f2ab66384b62fbe95ef8ed462a82.jpg

150_150.jpg.a8e20bc398f6709b8b9e0094efb7e4ab.jpg

Archived