Best Dolphin Swim and Horsebackride in Mexico

I am hoping some of you will give me your experience with excursions in Mexico. My husband and I are thinking that a beach horseback ride and then a dolphin swim would be the two excursions we would most like to do. Which are best and what other excursions did people love?;)

I am hoping some of you will give me your experience with excursions in Mexico. My husband and I are thinking that a beach horseback ride and then a dolphin swim would be the two excursions we would most like to do. Which are best and what other excursions did people love?;)

Suggest visiting the Ports of Call boards for some great suggestions as well as personal experiences from CC members.

i agree visit the other posts... i've never done either in mexico, but have done them both in the past... with the dolphin swim, make sure it's a "swim" some say dolphin encounter and some that say "swim" explain it as a large group of people for like 1 dolphin.. i've swam with the dolphins a few times and i chose to do one swim (that was like $20 more) that involved 3 dolphins for 8 people and we really swam and interacted with them... you'll love it!

I'm sure you will hear that Randi's Horseback ride is the best but I went and our whole group (from two different ships) hated it. The beach was dirty, had tons of dead fish and sea turtles and the place they take you to lunch was the most filthy place. No electric or hot water to even clean with if they wanted to.

Everyone in my group wanted to go back to the ship early as it super hot, dirty and no one was having fun.

The horses were ok and the family that helps you get on the horses were super nice!

Randi was an old lady who could hardly walk and was a chain smoker who had a really bad cough. She was drinking beer every time we saw her which was early morning. She was NOTHING like we expected her to be. Though she was nice. She does not go riding with you. Just gets you to where you are going then meets up with you later.

Also, I hear the dolphin ride is super fun but it does cost a lot.

My DH & I during our stop in Acapulco did the Dolphin enounter over at the Sea park. It was fabulous, we were devided into two groups for the two Pools. We enteracted with the Dolphins in each pool. The hilight was when we each layed on our stomach and the two dolphins came up behind propelling us across the water, upon stopping we were lunched out of the water. The larger pool they did tricks for us upon taught commands.

We did both on our Mariner June 21 cruise.

In Cabo we did the dolphin swim. It was $145 for cryin' out loud, but we still did it. We feel we got gyped. Some rode the dolphin twice around the pool while others were only allowed once. What's gives? It kinda felt a little short too, although the entire excursion was about an hour, including getting gear on, briefing, shower, etc. I would think other dolphin swims are better and cheaper.

As far as horseback, we lucked out. Due to the hurricane, not many booked. We ended up finding one in one of those booths at the Puerto Vallarta pier. We chose the "5 hour" one for I think $71 each. It was about a 15 minute ride to the ranch and we were the only 2 riders for the day. So it was like a personal excursion. We rode up the mountain and there were amazing views of the town and ship below. Then, at the top of the mountain there was a small waterfall where we were able to bath under. At the end of the tour they fed us lunch at an impressive outdoor place next to a wide stream and 2 pools. I found no BS in this tour and highly recommend it. The only thing is it came out to be only 4 hours including the commute to and from the ranch, so I dunno if we got gypped there. Anyway I still think it was excellent. The personnel were professional and great. Here's their link:

http://www.ranchoelcharro.com/

Cozumel - Dolphin Discovery - Royal Swim - November 2007 - $139 (now $149) Ten swimmers and two dolphins

I booked this directly through their website since my guy didn't want to participate. We took a taxi from the dock. I can't remember the $$, but it wasn't exorbitant.

I'm very near-sighted and once in the water without my glasses I couldn't see too far. To compensate, the photographers and the trainers gave me very wide arm signals to indicate where I needed to be for each dolphin encounter. (And they took great care of my glasses.) With their help, I had a fabulous time! Being lifted out of the water and launched during the two-dolphin foot push was exhilarating!

Note: Once inside the compound, observers can't get very close to the action so the photos my guy took weren't that great. Guess they make a lot of money from the sale of their photos and videos! FWIW, I bought the professional picture of my dolphin foot push and the look on my face always takes me back to that joyous feeling.

I agree that it was a pricey excursion. For me, though, it was well worth the cost.

Cozumel - Dolphin Discovery - Royal Swim - November 2007 - $139 (now $149) Ten swimmers and two dolphins

I booked this directly through their website since my guy didn't want to participate. We took a taxi from the dock. I can't remember the $$, but it wasn't exorbitant.

I'm very near-sighted and once in the water without my glasses I couldn't see too far. To compensate, the photographers and the trainers gave me very wide arm signals to indicate where I needed to be for each dolphin encounter. (And they took great care of my glasses.) With their help, I had a fabulous time! Being lifted out of the water and launched during the two-dolphin foot push was exhilarating!

Note: Once inside the compound, observers can't get very close to the action so the photos my guy took weren't that great. Guess they make a lot of money from the sale of their photos and videos! FWIW, I bought the professional picture of my dolphin foot push and the look on my face always takes me back to that joyous feeling.

I agree that it was a pricey excursion. For me, though, it was well worth the cost.

This is the tour I'm going to do this upcoming September! We've decided to book online with Dolphin Discovery and do the Royal Swim as opposed to the "encounter".

I suspected that their videos and pics would be good because they know exactly when to take the pics and the appropriate poses. My question is can I take pics of my party if I'm doing the RS too? If we're right there, why won't our pics be just as good?

Do they allow you to preview the video?

We did this dolphin swim last month and it was GREAT!

It's a new facility, so I haven't heard much about it. We booked it precruise and feel we definately got our $$'s worth. We did it thru RCCL. The cost was maybe $129.00 pp. Afterwards we stayed for lunch and it was yummy, best hamburgers. The restaurant is open air and has a raised area where you dine and enjoy watching other people swim with the dolphins. I think they have a web site, Dolphinaris.com

This is the tour I'm going to do this upcoming September! We've decided to book online with Dolphin Discovery and do the Royal Swim as opposed to the "encounter".

I suspected that their videos and pics would be good because they know exactly when to take the pics and the appropriate poses. My question is can I take pics of my party if I'm doing the RS too? If we're right there, why won't our pics be just as good?

Do they allow you to preview the video?

We did the Royal Swim this past January and it's worth every penny! They do let you preview the the video just to make sure they have the names correct. Don't worry about the content of the video ... they do a fabulous job with it. It's kind of pricey but it's worth having it.

I can't agree more about Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel, the experience is great and yes the pictures and video are expensive but worth every penny. Book it on your own, not through the cruise line.

To the person who commented on not liking Randi's in Mazatlan, the things you complained about are everywhere in the area. If you want all of those amenities don't go to Mexico, stay home. She has no control over what the beach looks like, its not her beach. It happens to be where she lives and unfortunately you must have had a bad day while there for it to look that way. Personally I am very much looking forward to the rustic atmosphere at Stone Island when we go in a few weeks. I am there to see how others live and experience their life, not expecting a lush resort. By your comments her staff was great so probably made the best of the area they have!

has anyone done the dolphin swim in PV? Is it preferable to Cabo's

there are 2 in PV... sea life park ... http://www.aquaventuras.com/

and the vallarta adventures one

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/dolphins/dolphin-center.html

a close friend of mine did the Cabo Dolphin encounter with her niece and nephew and said it was great. The Cabo location is newer, I believe.

Archived