Azamara's unilateral booze restrictions

tobleroner

We have just received our tickets and paperwork for our cruise on Azamara's Quest and when we read carefully all the small print we see that Azamara will allow a passenger to take on board only 2 bottles of wine and nothing else whatsoever during the rest of the cruise.

It is obvious what they are doing this for but to actually say that their security will search the baggage and even test the contents of the mouthwash bottles, this is unbelievable!!:( Can they actually put such a practice into operation under international law and human rights ??:confused:

We can understand them not wanting passengers to bring guns and bombs on board but items that are for personal use/consumption must be a completely different matter.:mad:

I am certainly not defending their policy, but this 'fine print' is on their website for people to see before booking.

If you do a search of Cruise Critic you will see many previous posts on this subject.

We have just received our tickets and paperwork for our cruise on Azamara's Quest and when we read carefully all the small print we see that Azamara will allow a passenger to take on board only 2 bottles of wine and nothing else whatsoever during the rest of the cruise.

It is obvious what they are doing this for but to actually say that their security will search the baggage and even test the contents of the mouthwash bottles, this is unbelievable!!:( Can they actually put such a practice into operation under international law and human rights ??:confused:

We can understand them not wanting passengers to bring guns and bombs on board but items that are for personal use/consumption must be a completely different matter.:mad:

Hi Tobleroner !

First off, I'd like to welcome you to Cruise Critic !

I'm sorry you are unhappy, but every line has their own policies. It's Azamara's policy (along with at least several other Cruise lines that I am aware of) to restrict the quantity of alcohol brought onboard. It is clearly stated on Azamara's website : http://www.azamaracruises.com/before...me=faq_answers

Also, there are several threads on this topic. Here are links to 2 of the more recent threads :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1026957

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=996901

Enjoy your Cruise !

Welcome to Cruise Critic. The RCCL family (Azamara, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean) have the most draconian policies with regard to passengers bringing alcohol onboard. Be glad that you're not sailing RCI - you can't even bring wine onboard one of their ships.

As for international law, I doubt that it applies here. And it's certainly not a basic human right to be able to bring alcohol onto a cruise ship.:) They can prohibit whatever they want - it's a private contract and if you don't like their rules, you are free to choose a line that allows you to do what you prefer.

Having said that, I agree with you that the policy sucks, for want of a more refined term.

Hi Clitterchick and Host Andy,

Many thanks for that info. and the links were very useful.

Reading between the lines of many comments made it would appear that Azamara will be reasonable on the wine etc., brought on board as long as there is not real abuse. As someone said, how embarassing it would be for both the passenger AND the staff if they were to open a suitcase and actually confiscate a bottle or so of wine in front of all the other passengers. Not a particularly good public relations image !

Logic will, hopefully, prevail, if not then we will be back on Oceania again for our 4 cruise with them, never any problems of this type with them !

We have been on both recently, AZ in March and Celebrity in April. We brought our 2 bottles on board at embarkation and then we did purchase wine at various ports and carried it back on board, (1 bottle at a time) and it went through the x-ray machine and there were no questions asked. One CCer even brought a case of wine on board the Solstice for the T/A and no problems (not sure if that was packed in his suitcase or carry on tho :confused::confused:) If they did take it away from you they would give it back to you the last night of the cruise. LuAnn

Archived