Peggy's Cove for disabled?

Would you recommend Peggy's Cove for someone who has mobility issues? I'll be using a walker and find it difficult to walk very far. I've seen posts saying Peggy's Cove is a waste of time and posts raving about the beauty of the place. The ship's excursion rates it as mild activity but then talks about walking around town and climbing on rocks. Would I find the excursion enjoyable if I sit out the town tour?

It may be helpful, in making your decision, to know what to expect when you get to Peggy's Cove. Your bus will pull into a parking lot next to a large souvenir shop/cafe. The famous lighthouse is on some rocks on the other side of the parking lot. The town itself is spread out along the access road to the shop, but visible from another part of the parking lot. I think that you could get an excellent, fairly close view of the lighthouse (approximately equivalent to what you will see at http://www.peggyscovewebcam.ca/live/, which is taken from a camera mounted to the shop) and the rocks on which it stands, and a general overview of the town itself from the parking lot, without needing to go any closer to the town or to the lighthouse itself, if you have sufficient mobility to walk across the parking lot. Attached pictures were all taken from the parking lot (click to enlarge):

If you take the tour bus, try for a window seat on the right side of the bus, because the one road in to the town and the lighthouse area passes by a small harbor to the right which is quite picturesque. It is a downhill walk of about two or three city blocks from the bus parking area.

The shop itself has more souvenirs than you could possibly imagine, including some CDs of Celtic music performed by Nova Scotia artists.

IMGP0495.jpg.22a3c39fdc0e98088a2893c1ba6d3a7e.jpg

IMGP0503.jpg.adf611eef339317c78eca3e91f0d63bd.jpg

IMGP0506.jpg.f45eab7bdb245f17c7ca0e058549ff09.jpg

IMGP0508.jpg.70e0389a28a1368a72721f67db87cc28.jpg

I has a type of mobility issue when we took the tour to Peggy's Cove. I had a gout attack in my right big toe on the day of the tour. I was able to limp in pain through the town and on the rocks but slower than usual. Many say that it's a crowed tourist trap and yes it was crowded that day but some in our tour were able to get a photo of the lighthouse without any other people in it. Patience. I'm from Hawaii surrounded by ocean but Peggy's Cove is different. I'm glad we got to see it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a few hours in Halifax and had heard so much positive feedback on Peggy's Cove that I decided that it was a "must do". I took a look at the lighthouse and then wondered what else I would do for the next two hours. Ended up hanging out at the gift shop/ restaurant that was near the lighthouse and spending money. If you are driving across NS and want to see the lighthouse for a few minutes, that is a nice thing to do but I wouldn't waste hours on an organized tour. In my opinion there are nicer things to do right in Halifax.

I had a few hours in Halifax and had heard so much positive feedback on Peggy's Cove that I decided that it was a "must do". I took a look at the lighthouse and then wondered what else I would do for the next two hours. Ended up hanging out at the gift shop/ restaurant that was near the lighthouse and spending money. If you are driving across NS and want to see the lighthouse for a few minutes, that is a nice thing to do but I wouldn't waste hours on an organized tour. In my opinion there are nicer things to do right in Halifax.

Couldn't agree more! We were driving across Nova Scotia and had almost passed it before I realized it. The only thing of interest in a gory kind of way is to form some connection with the folks who lost their lives in the terrible plane crash a few years back.

M.

Archived