Singing in the MDR

Willabee

We personally enjoy it. We even worked our last cruise's any time dining so that we would be there to see it. As to those who are complaining about it, ignore it, it is not like they are dancing on your table, making it impossible to eat, drink or be merry. To those that claim it ruins the dining experience, a cockroach in your soup ruins the dining experience, a little singing and dancing may not be your cup of tea but it hardly ruins anything

Gee, none of the (non-Carnival) cruises I've been on have had singing at dinner so I'm looking forward to this as something new and probably fun. I'm a little surprised that they do it every night; it seems to me twice a week would be sufficient, but I plan to eat at alternate restaurants a couple of nights anyway.

Every time we decide it's goofy and have had enough, we end up liking it and enjoying it on every cruise. If they ever cut it out we'd probably say "damn we miss the singing". It's kinda strange if you think about it. But it's our Carnival.......

We were on our first cruise last year and thought the dancing and singing was great... My kids loved it and it also gave them something to look forward to after dinner... I am taking some new friends on my cruise this year and i have told them all about this and they are excited to see this as well... Its so diffrent from your everyday dinner house which makes it great fun....

Used to be only a couple of nights, the biggie was the nights of the flaming Cherries Jubilee. They were always quite fun, and I made sure to video them.

Lately, they are almost every night. Last 3 to 4 minutes, and is usually during or after dessert.

They're even more special now that we sail with DD.

Saw some videos of the waitstaff singing during dinner. Is this a nightly thing? At a specific time?

Yes every night. We appreciate a fast waiter, gets us out before the noise starts. Not a fan, maybe 1 night would be OK.

...and most people cannot stand it.

I don't know... I'm sure the cruise line put a LOT of customer service research into this and everything else that they do. They probably added up all the numbers and decided, "yup, more people like this than don't, so we'll keep it." If their research showed that people couldn't stand it, it's easy enough to stop doing it.

I, for one, look at it this way. It's music, singing, dancing and entertainment on my vacation. In general, that's a GOOD thing. It's not like we were forced to wait in the dining room during a political speech or to be yelled at for poor table manners. It's FUN, and that's what Carnival sells, a FUN vacation. And they do that well.

They do not advertise a snooty, uppity, formal, nose in the air experience, they push FUN, and if someone does NOT have fun on a Carnival vacation, it's on him, not on Carnival.

I don't know... I'm sure the cruise line put a LOT of customer service research into this and everything else that they do. They probably added up all the numbers and decided, "yup, more people like this than don't, so we'll keep it." If their research showed that people couldn't stand it, it's easy enough to stop doing it.

I, for one, look at it this way. It's music, singing, dancing and entertainment on my vacation. In general, that's a GOOD thing. It's not like we were forced to wait in the dining room during a political speech or to be yelled at for poor table manners. It's FUN, and that's what Carnival sells, a FUN vacation. And they do that well.

They do not advertise a snooty, uppity, formal, nose in the air experience, they push FUN, and if someone does NOT have fun on a Carnival vacation, it's on him, not on Carnival.

I'm sure there is truth in what you say. But it is the WRONG PLACE at the wrong time. The DR opens at a set time for all. But ALL do not show at that time and ALL do not dine at the same pace. Nor do waiters all serve at the same speed. So every time this off key singing and amateurish dancing takes place, some diners have their meal interrupted for NO good reason. And all have their conversations and relaxation interrupted.

The main showroom and the lounges both have PROFESSIONAL entertainers if singing and dancing are a requirement of YOUR cruise. And the DR shows are so inept as to be embarrassing for both the waiters and the diners. The singular good thing is that they stopped the horrible color team baloney.

I for one enjoy the singing and dancing in the MDR.

I hear alot of you saying it was nice on my 1st cruise but now I'm on cruise 400 million and it is old. Well think about all the people that this is their first cruise and are seeing it for the first time. Shame on you for wanting to cheat them out of something you admitted you enjoyed your first time also.

You all know when it is going to begin, at the end of the meal when the wait staff is hard to find, you know it is almost show time, so save yourself the headache and duck out

This is my 3rd cruise on Carnival and I for one look forward to the singing and dancing. It is a lot of fun and my grandkids love it. I do not think I will ever tire of this practice.I have seen some pretty good dancers on my cruises. LOL:D

This is my 3rd cruise on Carnival and I for one look forward to the singing and dancing. It is a lot of fun and my grandkids love it. I do not think I will ever tire of this practice.I have seen some pretty good dancers on my cruises. LOL:D

It is a lot of fun. It's funny when you see so many people join together for a Conga Line. I don't know how many were good dancers.... but we really get a kick out of it. And I don't care what other people might say, a lot of the waiters and waitresses seem to really get into it, dress up, get people involved and have a good time. That is not faked, that is real.

As I wrote earlier, Carnival has a scientist wearing a white lab coat standing in front of a huge computer with blinking lights and spinning dials. I'm not sure what it's called, but the Holland America one, I think, is named HAL. Anyway, he typed in some numbers, threw in a stack of punch cards, bells rang, smoke came out, and a piece of paper popped out saying, "This will sell cruises, keep doing it." And it has worked.

I love it. Carnival sells a FUN vacation, it's how they market the cruise, it's how they advertise, and they deliver it. If anyone goes with any different expectation than to have fun, they will be disappointed.

Most cruiselines only have singing one night. I prefer a quiet dinner after a long day.

I would skip out early and pickup dessert at the buffet but the last time we cruised on Carnival the dinner buffet only had 2 different dessert selections.

This is making me wonder about our Carnival Destiny cruise next winter. We may be ordering dessert to go and enjoy it back on our balcony.

I for one enjoy the singing and dancing in the MDR.

I hear alot of you saying it was nice on my 1st cruise but now I'm on cruise 400 million and it is old. Well think about all the people that this is their first cruise and are seeing it for the first time. Shame on you for wanting to cheat them out of something you admitted you enjoyed your first time also.

You all know when it is going to begin, at the end of the meal when the wait staff is hard to find, you know it is almost show time, so save yourself the headache and duck out

So said it well.

It is done everynight in the dining room. Most people seem to enjoy it, and it also looks like a lot of the staff does too. My wife and I get a kick out of it nightly.

We are Platinum and it is real old. We we tend to eat fast so we can get out dessert and get out before the singing starts.

A couple times a week is OK. If it wasn't for the warm melting chocolate cake we'd skip dessert.

Bill

Archived