tuxedo & shoes question

rednblackstar

hi - i'm going on my first QM2 voyage.

2 questions for you veterans and tuxedo-in-the-know:

1) i was gonna buy a tux, but ended up decided on renting one on-board. anyone ever rent a tux on board and have any reviews and/or suggestions on navigating it?

2) i know i have to bring my own shoes. question: for a tux, does one have to wear the shiny patent leather oxford shoes or could i wear a pair of leather suit shoes i have?

thanks!

1) i was gonna buy a tux, but ended up decided on renting one on-board. anyone ever rent a tux on board and have any reviews and/or suggestions on navigating it? Search for "tuxedo rental", I'm sure there is more recent information than this.

2) i know i have to bring my own shoes. question: for a tux, does one have to wear the shiny patent leather oxford shoes [No.] or could i wear a pair of leather suit shoes i have? [Yes.]

thanks!

If you have the room to pack it, buying is way better than renting.

Congratulation on your first Cunard voyage.

If you second question was about what is required on board, the answer "No, you can wear any elegant black leather shoe." is correct.

If the question was from you as tuxedo-want-to-be-in-the-know about the correct formal shoe, the anwer is "Yes, patent leather shoes are the right shoes to wear with a tuxedo."

Enjoy.

Certainly the black patent leather shoe is what is worn with a tux. No question about it.

"Why, oh why, is Life a Black Tuxedo and I am a pair of Brown Shoes?" This was George Gobel (spelling?) on the Johnny Carson Show.

I've heard the crowd to rent a tux on board is a zoo, so probably better to take your own. Here's what a knowledgeable salesman at Saks advised me to do: Get an on-sale tux at Nordstrom Rack for a fraction the price; get a nice boardroom collar, French-cuff shirt that will do double-duty with a dark suit later; forget the suspenders and cummerbund; get a nice bow tie that likewise can do later duty; forget the patent-leather shoes; get a good pair of black shoes, again, which you can use later with a dark suit, shine the hell out of them and finish the shine with clear polish buffed with a chamois strip (the real thing). You'll look just fine. It's what I did. This is not the Commandant of Marine Corps dress blues inspection. It's going to be dark and only the very fussy would notice. You'll have a grand time!

2075370199_NGgrandstaircase.jpg.5bc2a7581a82e45ba71b7fe62e196f45.jpg

Renting is about one half the price of a real tux from say TuxedoWorld.com, shoes, think Opera pumps much better in patent leather and better for dancing.

Welcome to the formal world, we hope you enjoy it.

I usually take a pair of polished plain-toed black shoes (no little holes, no moccasin piping) which can do double duty for touring, and I've felt fine. And I've seen fellow passengers in loafers and other non-tux shoes.

I've also noticed that quite a few fellow passengers, mostly British, do not wear cummerbunds. Again, if you are in the spirit of "formal," nobody is going to sweat the details.

The one thing I would not advise is colored bow tie/cummerbund sets or highly decorated vests. I was once the only guy with a maroon tie and cummerbund on QE2, and I did not make that mistake again.

Below is a very good guide to what is traditional re: formal attire and what is not. It is useful, whether renting or buy, as there are many alternatives to choose among. Toward the end of the Guide is a list of places that sell formal wear on line. You can find the same variety that is available at most formal wear shops often at half the price (due to much reduced overhead costs when there is no chain of shops!). Even if you have to go to a tailor and have the fit fine-tuned, if you wear the tux two or three times it will pay for itself compared to renting. Although I have not yet ordered on line I have friends who have and have been very satisfied. I intend to order online before my next cruise as my existing tux is both tight and hopelessly out of style (I was young and rebellious when I got it - this time my choice will be completely traditional!). As for shoes, I detest the look of patent leather on men and so have always worn a plain black, completely unadorned, matte leather shoe, either slip-on or tie. Often at formal functions or cruises I have looked around and found about 50-50 patent vs. matte black. Matte black also has the advantage of being able to be worn with semi-formal or even elegant casual clothing.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Introduction/1_Appeal.htm

1) i was gonna buy a tux, but ended up decided on renting one on-board. anyone ever rent a tux on board and have any reviews and/or suggestions on navigating it?

2) i know i have to bring my own shoes. question: for a tux, does one have to wear the shiny patent leather oxford shoes or could i wear a pair of leather suit shoes i have?

thanks!

Yes, most definitely go and buy your tuxedo. Once you've been on QM2 you'll be hooked and, if you're anything like me, you will have soon worn out your tuxedo!

Just one thing, don't even ask whether a white tuxedo would be alright -

there are some on here with flame-throwers already at the ready!

1) i was gonna buy a tux, but ended up decided on renting one on-board.!

As others have said, buy. You will likely not regret it (as you will likely cruise again, and even if you do not, you can always haul it out for opera openings!)

2) i know i have to bring my own shoes. question: for a tux, does one have to wear the shiny patent leather oxford shoes or could i wear a pair of leather suit shoes i have?!

No worries about the shoes, but do try for something that will bring up a good shine. It just looks better! I totally agree with the post above, about a pair of pumps that can be worn elsewhere...I have this prissy pair of patent leather pumps with gross-grain ribbon that just sit idle for months and it annoys me to no end - perhaps that is why I keep booking cruises - give those puppies some use!.

Agree about buying...it is by far the best option without doubt.

As far as shoes are concerned, invest in a good leather pair, saw too many so called black loafers on board QV in May.....horrid things too! Couldn't buff em up if one spat and polished for a year!

DH has a lovely pair of Barkers....which are good leather with a wee bit of patent across the front.

He was most certainly sorted for all occasions.

Jackie :)

Agree about buying...it is by far the best option without doubt.

As far as shoes are concerned, invest in a good leather pair, saw too many so called black loafers on board QV in May.....horrid things too! Couldn't buff em up if one spat and polished for a year!

DH has a lovely pair of Barkers....which are good leather with a wee bit of patent across the front.

He was most certainly sorted for all occasions.

Combo shoes? Patent and plain old leather? Where d'you find these, love? These sound the perfect solution!

(Hope all is well.)

saw too many so called black loafers on board QV in May.....horrid things too! Couldn't buff em up if one spat and polished for a year!

Miss J, good advice. And it should hopefully be well headed ( a bit of rise, does wonders). But likely not! Bottom line, if you cannot shine the shoe up to sparkle, it is not fit to be worn with your tux. Moan all you like; it is just going to look tatty. Make it whatever style you like, but it must shine! So one can see up the skirts, of course!:eek:

Miss J, good advice. And it should hopefully be well headed ( a bit of rise, does wonders). But likely not! Bottom line, if you cannot shine the shoe up to sparkle, it is not fit to be worn with your tux. Moan all you like; it is just going to look tatty. Make it whatever style you like, but it must shine! So one can see up the skirts, of course!:eek:

Michael my dear.....you are making me giggle here! ;) And thank you we are all well...hope you both are too. :)

Looking up skirts indeed! Hmm....Tut Tut ! :rolleyes:

As far as the ' combo ' goes......yep they work really well....formal, semi, EC etc etc....just brilliant....go with everything.

Barker shoes, not cheap but just do the biz dear.

Combo shoes? Patent and plain old leather? Where d'you find these, love? These sound the perfect solution!

(Hope all is well.)

Personally, I don't particularly like the looks of patent leather--it looks too much like plastic and for some reason patent leather shoes always look like they are too big for the wearer, perhaps because they bend in a strange way. A nice, well polished, black of course, leather shoe looks much better, I feel. But then, who am I?

Gail:)

Personally, I don't particularly like the looks of patent leather--it looks too much like plastic and for some reason patent leather shoes always look like they are too big for the wearer, perhaps because they bend in a strange way. A nice, well polished, black of course, leather shoe looks much better, I feel. But then, who am I?

Gail, you are very right. I really don't like the whole patent look either.

DH wore his patent for a few outings on QE2, but one has to move on and we are now both very happy with the Barkers.

Now where is Mary....she is not fond of patent either.

A nice, well polished, black of course, leather shoe looks much better, I feel. But then, who am I?

I'm sure I don't know my dear but if you ask one of the nurses they'll tell you.

A Compassionate Gari

Here I am:), gosh you've got a good memory. No, can't abide men in patent shoes; fine on ladies. Don't know why, just one of my (many) little foibles:o.

Mary

Lordy Mary, l don't know where l drag things up from either, but l do recall you mentioning your dislike for the male patent wear! ;)

Do hope you are well.

Archived