Special diet question.

terri1020

We are going on the Jewel on Oct. 30 for 14 days. My husband is on a VERY salt restricted diet. When we were on a Princess cruise in May, they were terrific. Every night the head waiter came to our table with the menu for the next evening, went over it with my dh and supervised the cooking of his food. Is anyone familiar with how NCL handles special diets?

Thank you.

Terri

We were on the Spirit 2 summers ago with my grandson who has severe food alergies to things like milk products, soy, wheat, eggs etc. The chef was awesome about fixing him special meals and deserts and the buffet cooks would use special pans so his food did not come in contact with other things. We had a great experience.

my biggest suggestion, which you likely have already done, is to make sure that NCL is very aware before you ever travel that there is a special diet request and what it is. they are better able to handle it if it's known in advance.

I have celiac disease and can not eat gluten. We have had great experiences with NCL.

1. Contact the Special Needs Department as the earlier posted suggested. Do that at least 2 weeks prior to a cruise leaving an American port and at least 2 months prior for a European cruise.

2. On embarkation day, make sure to eat in the dining room serving the sit-down lunch, not the buffet. When you arrive at that restaurant, ask to speak to the Maitre 'd. Enjoy a nice relaxing lunch while waiting to speak with the Maitre 'd. They will speak with you and start planning that night's dinner. This will ensure that they are expecting you, even on the first night. They will ask you where you will be dining. I suggest one of the main dining rooms on the first night.

3. You can dine in the specialty restaurants but you need to tell your Maitre 'd contact the night before where you will be dining. They will go get that menu and help you plan your choices. They will also let that restaurant know to expect you.

4. Join your Roll Call and attend the Meet & Greet. If you are having any problems, you will have the opportunity to mention it to the ship's officers at that time. If you problems can not wait until the Meet & Greet, go to the reception desk and tell them that you need to speak to the Food & Beverage Manager due to diet restrictions. The manager will call you.

Have a great cruise!

Archived