Trip insurance

a-w

I BOOKED MY CRUISE THROUGH NCL AND I JUST CALLED BACK TO GET TRIP INSURANCE AND THEY TOLD ME THAT I AM 75 DAYS TO SAILING DATE CAN AND I CAN NOT ADD OR DO ANYTHING TO MY BOOKING CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET INSURANCE FOR MY TRIP FOR A REASONABLE PRICE.:confused:

There are many online sites. I am not sure if they can be mentioned here or not. There is one that looks at a lot of different companies so you can compare. You want to insure my trip add the ending.

You're awfully close to sailing..are you certain that you still might need trip insurance? Most folks who buy this (I get it all the time) get it when the cruise is booked, not 2-1/2 months before we're about to sail.

Although presumably a lot can happen in the next 2-1/2 months..

Have a great cruise!

you can buy trip insurance through sites that have been mentioned.

the only thing is the closer you get to sailing the more costly the insurance gets.

Also they do not include pre existing conditions, unless you pay substantially more.

If you are adding insurance now because you are sick or injured and think you might not make it - forget it. You have to be healthy enough to travel the day you book the insurance. At this late date you will pay a lot more for them to waive pre-existing conditions and make sure about that.

Even though this person is inside the final payment time, they could still encounter a wide range of problems on their cruise.

There are polices that cover ONLY emergency airlift type situations and can be purchased on an annual basis for ALL travel away from home. And there are polices that will pay for every little event.

If you are ever going to cancel BEFORE you reach the final payment date, you can cancel at no charge and therefore insurance is not needed for that.

And, a not to the original poster, PLEASE DO YELL AT US WITH ALL CAPS. thanks

You're awfully close to sailing..are you certain that you still might need trip insurance? Most folks who buy this (I get it all the time) get it when the cruise is booked, not 2-1/2 months before we're about to sail.

Although presumably a lot can happen in the next 2-1/2 months..

Have a great cruise!

I'm not understanding your comment. I just booked a cruise last week that sails in September. I still have to purchase my insurance. Although our medical plan that we have will cover some expenses.....it is still good to have additional coverage.

I'm not understanding your comment. I just booked a cruise last week that sails in September. I still have to purchase my insurance. Although our medical plan that we have will cover some expenses.....it is still good to have additional coverage.
You are absolutely right. Most people purchase trip insurance for the medical insurance/medical evacuation insurance than trip cancellation.

You are absolutely right. Most people purchase trip insurance for the medical insurance/medical evacuation insurance than trip cancellation.
Upon futher reflection, how would I know whether more people purchase it for medical than for trip cancellation? :o It's just that more people talk about the medical stuff on these boards.

Upon futher reflection, how would I know whether more people purchase it for medical than for trip cancellation? :o It's just that more people talk about the medical stuff on these boards.

Don't know if I can give any insight here but here goes. Booked our very first cruise last year and have booked another for this year both through a local TA. Following her advice we purchased travel insurance when we booked. We booked well enough in advance that pre-existing conditions are covered and also flight cancellations are refundable. If you're going to spend 4 to 5k for a cruise I think 4% of that cost for insurance is reasonable.

I had a cruise booked on Celebrity a couple years ago and less than a month before the cruise I broke my hip. It took less than a month to get all of my money back. If I hadn't had the insurance I probably couldn't have afforded a cruise after I got off the crutches.

Insurance is definately a good thing! :D

Don't know if I can give any insight here but here goes. Booked our very first cruise last year and have booked another for this year both through a local TA. Following her advice we purchased travel insurance when we booked. We booked well enough in advance that pre-existing conditions are covered and also flight cancellations are refundable. If you're going to spend 4 to 5k for a cruise I think 4% of that cost for insurance is reasonable.

Ehhhh...well......we dont spend anywhere that much for a cruise. But we do buy the insurance for the added protection. For +/- $100 for 2 people....it is worth the added security. IMO

I had a cruise booked on Celebrity a couple years ago and less than a month before the cruise I broke my hip. It took less than a month to get all of my money back. If I hadn't had the insurance I probably couldn't have afforded a cruise after I got off the crutches.

Insurance is definately a good thing! :D

This is one of the better reasons for buying insurance. Though we generally do not buy any, this is one reason I would opt for it. With 2-3 cruises a year though, it would add to alot of money.

I am always left wondering how much TA's make on this option. To me, it seems kind of like an extended warranty at Best Buy - HUGE profit for the seller on a item where they otherwise have a small margin.

MY health insurance covers me anywhere in the world, although I would have to pay up front and wait for reimbursement. I also specifically asked them about a med-flight and was told that would be covered as well.

Insurance is insurance is insurance. For 99 out of 100 times, you will never use it. You need to figure out if you are willing to take that 1% chance and if you do, what is your maximum exposure.

We buy the insurance after hearing what happened to someone we know. The wife had a heart attack in Aruba while on vacation. They DIDNT have the optional insurance. They were told that they should send her to a hospital in the states for better treatment. That med-flight cost them over $20,000.

There are places to buy insurance that cost about half the cost of what the cruiselines and TA's charge.....look around. I was quoted $71pp from the TA I used. I bought insurance today for $78 total for 2 of us. Compare a few companies side by side and look for the options that fit the need.

Getting back to the OP comments, we always buy trip insurance but not at the time of booking. If we needed to cancel prior to final payment we would still have to pay the insurance cost but nothing to NCL. We buy it at the time of final payment. At this point we do not have pre existing conditions, that in my opinion would only be the reason to buy at the time of initial booking. Am I missing something? I think the OP should have been able to buy insurance 75 days before cruise, this must be an NCL policy, our TA always provides insurance through their companies agents which are well known at time fo final payment.

it is actually 4 of us going on this trip and i just want the insurance for my grandmother who is elderly just in case anything happens on the ship but if it is cheep i will buy it for all of us

it is actually 4 of us going on this trip and i just want the insurance for my grandmother who is elderly just in case anything happens on the ship but if it is cheep i will buy it for all of us

If something unfortunate were to happen and your grandmother became ill, either before the cruise or while on board, and you were forced to cancel or cut short the cruise as a result, her insurance would not cover the expenses incurred by you and the other members of your party. Each of you would need a policy to cover your own trip cancellation or interruption.

you can buy trip insurance through sites that have been mentioned.

the only thing is the closer you get to sailing the more costly the insurance gets.

Also they do not include pre existing conditions, unless you pay substantially more.

I've never experienced a difference in prices no matter how far or close I've bought the insurance.

I was just checking for insurance for my Sept 12th cruise and the price was $144 for myself and my wife. I checked the same cruise for next August and it was still $144.00. Also checked for a year from now and again $144.00.

This was through Travelex. Maybe other companies have different pricing structures.

Bill

Archived