Please Remember....

laser110

I have been reading alot of the threads on here and seen some great advice. I have also seen some really bad advice. I spent alot of time growing up on St. Thomas (although I did not attend school there), I still go back yearly or more, and have seen alot of good and bad things.

Please remember that just because the island is in the Caribbean, and it looks perfect, it's not. Use common sense, don't go places that don't look safe and don't leave things out in the open. So many times I have been to the beach, seen people in the water with stuff left open, bags left open and valuables in clear view. If something doesn't look right, it probably isn't.

Each year I hear about people who's hotel was robbed etc. or they were mugged. In most of those cases they went were they shouldn't or left their door unlocked or easy access to their belongings. I hate to bring this up, because 98% of the people in the USVI are nice, trust worthy and pleasant people, people I call friends.

On the flip side, enjoy the sand, sand and sea. Remember to say " Good Morning" "Good Afternoon" or "Good Evening" when you meet a Virgin Islander. It's the official greeting, plus a sign of good manners. Remember to smile and enjoy your time in America's Paradise.

Scott

I have been reading alot of the threads on here and seen some great advice. I have also seen some really bad advice. I spent alot of time growing up on St. Thomas (although I did not attend school there), I still go back yearly or more, and have seen alot of good and bad things.

Please remember that just because the island is in the Caribbean, and it looks perfect, it's not. Use common sense, don't go places that don't look safe and don't leave things out in the open. So many times I have been to the beach, seen people in the water with stuff left open, bags left open and valuables in clear view. If something doesn't look right, it probably isn't.

Each year I hear about people who's hotel was robbed etc. or they were mugged. In most of those cases they went were they shouldn't or left their door unlocked or easy access to their belongings. I hate to bring this up, because 98% of the people in the USVI are nice, trust worthy and pleasant people, people I call friends.

On the flip side, enjoy the sand, sand and sea. Remember to say " Good Morning" "Good Afternoon" or "Good Evening" when you meet a Virgin Islander. It's the official greeting, plus a sign of good manners. Remember to smile and enjoy your time in America's Paradise.

Scott

Thank you for your advice. This is good common sense no matter where you travel, even in the USA. I have always had a good time in USVI, but I do pay attention to my surroundings and don't wander off the beaten path.

Archived