Cabot Trail for slow-pokes

We don't do organized trips but we do like to see the sights but at a veryyyy leisurely pace. We just amble along and try to avoid any line-ups! There will be 4 of us and we nearly go into reverse when we travel!! Neutral is too speedy!

That said, when we berth in Sydney we are considering renting a car (best agency choice for speed and cost???) then heading towards and along the Trail for awhile. Having read a couple other inquiries and looked at a map, I am confused as to which direction to go once we reach the 'entry' to the Trail. The most 'bang for our buck' would be the preferred route but realize we can only do a small portion of the trip within our time constraints. Up Route 19 towards St. Ann's or down toward Baddeck?

Also, if we want to stop and get a decent lunch, which town is most recommended (as well as any restaurants)?

Thanks!!!

PS - If getting ourselves organized and away early is the really only sensible way to do this, let me know that too!

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you get some answers before your cruise! You have some interesting questions.....unfortunately I can't answer them, altho' I have done the Cabot Trail. Baddeck itself is an interesting little town.....Alexander Graham Bell museum is there.

M.

It's pretty hard to do half the trail! To me the most spectacular parts are from East Margaree to Pleasant Bay and from Wreck Cove to Neil's Harbour. It only takes four or five hours to drive around if you do not go slow.

So if you want to go slow, from Sydney you could go to Englishtown, take the little cable ferry to St. Ann's and go up the coast until you feel you need to turn around.

Last year we went around the trail in October and stopped for lunch in St. Ann's just a mile or less past where the ferry docks. There is an old church and the community has turned it into a lovely little restaurant. The lobster sandwhich was great.

If St. Ann's is too soon there is not much until Ingonish where there are several places but I am not familiar with any.

If you do decide to go around the trail, Baddeck has restaurants and Cheticamp has several with an Acadian cuisine and there are other places scattered along the way.

There is another thread active right now with information about car rentals;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=971955

Archived